Do you have a pricelist? How much do you want to pay?

My Friend

During my joyous search today for a braider, the thrill was long gone after a few phone calls :look:

Me: Hi. I wanted to know how much you charge for x, y and z service and if you have any available slots for next week?

Braider: How much do you want to pay?

Me: (Thinking she's not understanding me completely), How much do you charge? How much do you charge others?

Braider: I'm asking YOU how much do you want to pay, not others?

Me: :spinning: Sooo..everybody pays a different price?

Braider: No. Everybody pays the same price.

Me: Well...whats that price?

Braider: The price you want to pay?

Me: Thanks (hangs up)

I've noticed with a lot of AA/African stylist/braiders there is no set pricelist. I've witnessed a lot of clients asking their stylist at the end of the service, "How much do I owe you". That price always seems to be based upon how business was that week, what she/he wants to buy, what bill is due, and/or what mood she/he is in at the moment.

Also, that price is based on your status quo in the community :ohwell: If you had a nice car, clothes, job etc, you paid an uppity tax:rolleyes:

Am I the only one who runs into this situation?

I've only had that happen with braiders & 1 Dominican salon. Every other salon that I've used had a posted price list.

I always start at $50 when asked but that is for a braid style that can last 4 - 8 weeks.

Nope, I've had that convo several times. They want to see how much you're willing to pay. If it's more than they would charge, they'll take it. If not, they'll say they usually do it for xyz amount. Really they're usually trying to get over in some way. You made the right choice by hanging up!

Back