Do you feel like a fake?

joemerald

Ok so today I am wearing a wig. It does not look so (I checked with hubby first and he would tell me if it did) I styled it with a head band which I usually wear and it looks nice. I am 12.5 weeks post with 4z hair and I am not combing except when I wash since I am trying low manipulation, this has been great little breakage and shedding. So I am geting complements about how nice my hair looks from everyone, and I say thanks and continue, but I cannot help feeling like a fake since it is not my hair. Do other wig wearers feel like this?

Ok so today I am wearing a wig. It does not look so (I checked with hubby first and he would tell me if it did) I styled it with a head band which I usually wear and it looks nice. I am 12.5 weeks post with 4z hair and I am not combing except when I wash since I am trying low manipulation, this has been great little breakage and shedding. So I am geting complements about how nice my hair looks from everyone, and I say thanks and continue, but I cannot help feeling like a fake since it is not my hair. Do other wig wearers feel like this?

chile please. i love it!!! from time to time, i pull out my half wig and rock it like nobody's business. i love looking at nice styles ....real or fake. and vice versa.

iIn the past, I have worn a wig. Yes, in the beginning, I did feel like a fake and I had this anxiety about someone pulling it off and exposing me! But after awhile, I got use to it. Everyone in the office had seen me many times before without the wig, so they KNEW it was a wig even though they never said it. They only gave compliments :) because it did look nice.Just give it sometime and you just won't care anymore and will feel a lot more comfortable.

You're not a fake... variety is the spice of life, and you just happen to be a spicey mama! :grin: Wigs offer variety to style and color w/o damaging our own hair. It's like wearing makeup... it's just a temporary enhancement to your natural beauty. I think you may just feel that way because you're not used to it. HTH

That is funny that you mention this..I started wearing a half wig and it looks like my hair but when friends compliment me, I feel the need to tell them it is a wig and not my hair. I've been told to just accept the compliment because it looks so much like my hair that most cannot tell. I have told just about everybody I know at church. But I do the same thing with clothes as well...they compliment then I start telling folks where I got it and how much it cost but I digress.

My friend has told me to stop and I am trying but I feel like I am a fake if I don't tell them it is a wig & not my hair.

You shouldn't feel anymore fake than the ladies wear camouflage...I mean concealer or what is that stuff called......

ummm....

that stuff you put on your face under the powder. It's like concealer but it covers the whole face. I cannot think of it!

Dang.

Anyways, no different than that or fake nails or fake eyelashes or fake breasts/or push up bras. :lachen:

You're not a fake... variety is the spice of life, and you just happen to be a spicey mama! :grin: Wigs offer variety to style and color w/o damaging our own hair. It's like wearing makeup... it's just a temporary enhancement to your natural beauty. I think you may just feel that way because you're not used to it. HTH

couldnt agree more!!! i used to feel compelled to say, "oh its a wig". people/strangers would be shocked or at least pretend to be:look:
but now i just say thanks and keep it moving!!!
i love all kinds of spices in my life!!!:grin:

I have felt like a fake and I am quick to tell ppl that is its fake. I have been trying to stop, but it just comes out of my mouth. :ohwell:

Nope, I don't feel anything...except hot under that wig cap! But really, it's your hair (because you paid for it) and I bet you look fire in it!!!

I've felt this way. I've never worn weave or any kind of added hair to my hairstyles because I felt that people would be able to tell and will think that it doesn't look good. But the irony comes to play when I see other people wearing weave or added hair. I love it! I think it wigs look great. I remember complimenting this one pharmacist a couple of years ago on how beautiful her hair looked, and to my surprise she told me it was a wig :blush:! She fooled me! It looked like her hair. So, the moral of this story is that as long as your hair looks good, people are going to like it, whether it's a wig or extensions or whatever. Even people who aren't black no all about wigs and weave. This one lady that works at my cousin's after-school art program has a full head of long, multi-colored braided-weave, and she's white. And she looks really good with it! She doesn't care if it's fake, she likes them so she wears it. I think that's how everyone should be :yep:.

I plan on doing this for a year, and see how my hair grows. I think your fine. I wouldn't tell them anything. You know how some people are. You don't want any unnecessary mess. You know you have hair, and it is your hair(you bought it). Don't worry about it!

You shouldn't feel anymore fake than the ladies wear camouflage...I mean concealer or what is that stuff called......

ummm....

that stuff you put on your face under the powder. It's like concealer but it covers the whole face. I cannot think of it!

Dang.

Anyways, no different than that or fake nails or fake eyelashes or fake breasts/or push up bras. :lachen:

foundation. lol.

couldnt agree more!!! i used to feel compelled to say, "oh its a wig". people/strangers would be shocked or at least pretend to be:look:
but now i just say thanks and keep it moving!!!
i love all kinds of spices in my life!!!:grin:

I have a saying "I wear a wig because I want to, not because I need to" Sometimes, when I meet a guy, I may have on a half wig. You know guys, they don't know if it's yours or not. I've been asked "it that all yours" I say nope, but I have hair under it. LOL I've even pulled the bottom of my french braid (which is how I braid under it, if I'm wearing Hannah) down so he can feel it, how soft my hair is and how far is goes down my back. I'm proud of the fact that I have a secret under this hair... that my own hair is just as beautiful.

I have a saying "I wear a wig because I want to, not because I need to" Sometimes, when I meet a guy, I may have on a half wig. You know guys, they don't know if it's yours or not. I've been asked "it that all yours" I say nope, but I have hair under it. LOL I've even pulled the bottom of my french braid (which is how I braid under it, if I'm wearing Hannah) down so he can feel it, how soft my hair is and how far is goes down my back. I'm proud of the fact that I have a secret under this hair... that my own hair is just as beautiful.

i hear ya!!!:grin: and like you and someone else said, i have beautiful hair underneath and most of time the wigs i wear are the same length as my hair, mostly about 2-4inches longer. wigs just have a cut/style to them. i'm trying to grow my hair out/all even so theres no umph to it right now. i usually love long layers:lick::grin:

That is funny that you mention this..I started wearing a half wig and it looks like my hair but when friends compliment me, I feel the need to tell them it is a wig and not my hair. I've been told to just accept the compliment because it looks so much like my hair that most cannot tell. I have told just about everybody I know at church. But I do the same thing with clothes as well...they compliment then I start telling folks where I got it and how much it cost but I digress.

My friend has told me to stop and I am trying but I feel like I am a fake if I don't tell them it is a wig & not my hair.

:eek: I do the same EXACT thing!!! Were we separated at birth?!?!?! :perplexed

Not even a little bit! To me hair is nothing more than an accessory, I LOVE different styles. I say thank you. Now if someone asked me directly, I def would not lie about it.

iIn the past, I have worn a wig. Yes, in the beginning, I did feel like a fake and I had this anxiety about someone pulling it off and exposing me! But after awhile, I got use to it. Everyone in the office had seen me many times before without the wig, so they KNEW it was a wig even though they never said it. They only gave compliments :) because it did look nice.Just give it sometime and you just won't care anymore and will feel a lot more comfortable.

This is no joke! and it happened to me TWICE with a drawstring pony. people thought it was sooooooooooooooo darn real and pretty looking that they wanted to touch and put their fingers through it without asking!!!!! Now, i'm scared.....:nono:. i love the look but wont dare wear one again for fear of another embarrassing occurance.

This is no joke! and it happened to me TWICE with a drawstring pony. people thought it was sooooooooooooooo darn real and pretty looking that they wanted to touch and put their fingers through it without asking!!!!! Now, i'm scared.....:nono:. i love the look but wont dare wear one again for fear of another embarrassing occurance.

That is exactly why I'm relauctant to wear my drawtring pony! :nono:

Yes, yes I do feel compelled to confess it's a wig..have to learn to say "Thank you," and keep it moving. Now, my silver, platinum is known to be a wig by my co-workers but strangers love it and comment..I always feel a little guilty:blush:.

Initially I did...:ohwell:....

Wig paranoia...

I never thought I would be a chick that wore a wig...but once I got a taste of wearing them...I was hooked...:yep:

Now, I don't really feel that way as much because now my own hair is as long as the wigs so my style is interchangeable to the 25/20's at work:look:. The only time I kept having issues is when I wore wigs that were shorter than my own hair...and I kept getting asked "Did you cut your hair?"
*Annoying as heyall...* :wallbash:

I just gave all my shorter wigs to my mom and sis and just purchased my first past APL length wig tonight. *I just finished doing my Sasha dance in the bathroom..*

Now I just have to thin it and razor it out and I'm good.:yep:

I am somewhat paranoid the first few times when I wear a new wig but other than that...nope

I typically buy wigs that are the same length as my hair...the wig is much fuller. I usually tell people its a wig to preempt any attempts to clown me:cool:

Initially I did...:ohwell:....

Wig paranoia...

I never thought I would be a chick that wore a wig...but once I got a taste of wearing them...I was hooked...:yep:

Now, I don't really feel that way as much because now my own hair is as long as the wigs so my style is interchangeable to the 25/20's at work:look:. The only time I kept having issues is when I wore wigs that were shorter than my own hair...and I kept getting asked "Did you cut your hair?"
*Annoying as heyall...* :wallbash:

I just gave all my shorter wigs to my mom and sis and just purchased my first past APL length wig tonight. *I just finished doing my Sasha dance in the bathroom..*

Now I just have to thin it and razor it out and I'm good.:yep:

I will to needing you to send me very specific instructions on this thinning technique:bookworm:

**Off to PM Monalisa in case she has me on ignore**

I will to needing you to send me very specific instructions on this thinning technique:bookworm:

**Off to PM Monalisa in case she has me on ignore**

U r so silly...why da heyall would I ignore you? I responded to your PM.

I can say here what I told Nick...I don't have a specific technique...
I know there are a lot of instructionalists on the board....I ain't one of em though..:ohwell:

Put the wig on.
Get your blade out.
Focus on the heavy parts of the wig/weave you want to thin out.
Try to have a plastic bag in the sink or wherever you start taking the hair out to catch it.
Get to thinning.

That's it.

Style the hair the way you'd want your hair to move.

Maybe somebody who styles wigs/weaves will come along with a better descriptive technique...

Back