Do you "dissociate" from overwhelming emotion?

FluffyRed

Like, you can't feel extremes?

It is an odd feeling. But, for example, imagining losing someone you love, or imagining getting the one you always wanted... something "switches off" and you kind automatically cannot feel whatever emotion it is because it scares you so much. You push your emotions out of your awareness.

This is common in abuse survivors. It's a defense mechanism.

Here is a link. One more. (scroll down about halfway)

(did a search, could not find the topic)

yes, many people do this, I believe. it ultimately isn't at all healthy. people who have been through traumatic events general react like this over time. it's a long process, but they have to relearn how to feel their emotions again, good and bad.

I contacted the Better Business Bureau because eharmony was not getting me matches, and I had paid for them.

Now I have matches - a bunch of them - and I'm skurred to look!!! They come through to my email and I panic and exit my email.

WTH is wrong with me???

How do you relearn how to feel? I saw some links earlier, but cannot find them now.

More links:
Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

a very good therapist could help you with that, there are not too many of those, journaling is a biggie...just having a journal and writing what you think you feel about situations...you may find out that when you think you are mad, you are really hurt etc....this starts you recognizing feelings again. they, with practice, you can learn to express them in healthy ways

When the title had Dissociate, I thought of this> depersonalization disorder-periods of detachment from self or surrounding which may be experienced as "unreal" (lacking in control of or "outside of" self) while retaining awareness that this is only a feeling and not a reality. * had to pull a quote* This is under the dissociative disorders, with amensia and DID (commonly called multiple personality disorder). This does not fit what the OP wrote about.

To me personally, being *numb* to other extreme emotions is a sympton of a larger issue possibly like acute stress disorder or PTSD(same except for length of time) I would suggest that if it is effecting your personal life to follow Lnacen's direction and find a good counselor who can assist you. Good luck! and Good luck with E-harmony!

Back