Do you DC while wearing braids/twists?

Sunshine0801

I'm natural and mostly wear braids or twists (although I get far less breakage with braids) for convenience purposes, and I was wondering how often those of you who do the same deep condition your hair.

I usually wear my braids for 3-4 weeks and will condition my hair while in the shower, but I never DC for some reason, but now I'm starting to think that may not be such a good idea, especially since I'm trying to step up my the moisture level in my hair.

What do ya'll do?

I'm natural and mostly wear braids or twists (although I get far less breakage with braids) for convenience purposes, and I was wondering how often those of you who do the same deep condition your hair.

I usually wear my braids for 3-4 weeks and will condition my hair while in the shower, but I never DC for some reason, but now I'm starting to think that may not be such a good idea, especially since I'm trying to step up my the moisture level in my hair.

What do ya'll do?

I'm natural and I dc all the time with my twists in. I dont have extensions, and since protective styling is my thing, this is usually the most convient for me. For me it's all about the leave-in afterward. I will mix giovanni direct with my mix of castor oil and suave coconut condish. I make sure to use a homemade spray leave-in that has castor oil among other things in it. This helps keep the tangles and knots at bay. I make sure that I dont "aggitate" my scalp too much during the rinse, and conditioner wash, and that helps too.

I'm natural and I dc all the time with my twists in. I dont have extensions, and since protective styling is my thing, this is usually the most convient for me. For me it's all about the leave-in afterward. I will mix giovanni direct with my mix of castor oil and suave coconut condish. I make sure to use a homemade spray leave-in that has castor oil among other things in it. This helps keep the tangles and knots at bay. I make sure that I dont "aggitate" my scalp too much during the rinse, and conditioner wash, and that helps too.

How often do you DC and what do you use to DC with?

I am so lacking a decent regimen. :ohwell: I don't even have a leave-in, but I plan on purchasing giovanni direct soon, since I've heard so much great stuff about it.

Why do you not aggitate your scalp? Is it because you want to keep your twists/braids looking fresh despite the wash?

i've just started with twists as a protective style
these i have in now have been in for 8 days
and i've washed/dc'ed them twice
(i use a cheap conditioner/water/baking soda mix to cleanse and kenra moisturizing conditioner mixed w/ some other stuff to deep condition)

i use bowls and pour my stuff over my head
so i'm not over manipulating with my hands
and then gently spread it out w/ my hands
just to make sure i got all of my hair covered

so far so good for me!!!
i like it a lot
and i've lost SO little hair during my washes this way.

hopefully it'll continue to be fruitful for me.

i have read for some people washing in twists/braids
is an absolute "no way!"
i guess it just depends on you and your hair
try it out once and if you like it, keep doing it
if not, definitely dont!

The best advice I recevied while I was doing C&G was to treat your hair in braids the same as you would without braids. I took this to heart, and the results were fab.

I washed, conditoned, deep conditioned - the whole nine yards with a mositure spray daily. Maybe you can try once a week if your hair is already in good condition.

The best advice I recevied while I was doing C&G was to treat your hair in braids the same as you would without braids. I took this to heart, and the results were fab.

I washed, conditoned, deep conditioned - the whole nine yards with a mositure spray daily. Maybe you can try once a week if your hair is already in good condition.

That's what I do. Wash, condition, deep condition. I just don't use a leave in, because I like my hair without any sticky stuff in it (but this is why I wash often, CW often and DC at least once a week with heat). When I'm wearing my hair out, though I do use SCurl as a leave-in, and that's only because I cannot comb my hair without some type of lubricant. In braids or twists, I never use a comb, not even when redoing the style; I just use my fingers. And I find my hair is easy to separate with fingers when it doesn't have any sticky stuff in it.

My favorite conditioner for DCing is GPB (Aubrey Organics). I smooth on the length of the hair using fingers (but not the bottom inch by my scalp; I leave that well alone). Then I squeeze handfuls of braids so that the conditioner penetrates the hair before going under a dryer in a cap. I rinse forever with the same squeezing motion and end the wash with a dunk in ACV solution where I do more squeezing. I never worry about conditioner residue, and it's never been an issue.

Dang, ya'll ladies are on it! :yep:

Not DC'ing while having in my twists and braids probably explains why I've been having dryness issues. Right now I've been washing with conditioner once a week and every day or so I've spritzed my hair with a mix of water, jojoba oil, rosemary, glycerine, and tea tree oil. I seal with yellow unrefined shea butter. Since I've been sealing (which I NEVER used to do) after spritzing, my hair has softened up significantly. However, when I come out of braids/twists, my hair is dry as I don't know what, :ohwell: so I'm thinking it may be due to my lack of DC'ing while in braids/twists...

Also, when my hair gets the itchies, I've been shampooing with something by Carol's Daughter (can't remember the name), which always dries my hair out without fail. It seems like I have to work extra hard to get the moisture back after shampooing. I think I'm going to cut out shampooing completely. There was a time when I tried black soap for shampooing which was a HUGE no-no for my hair. Made my hair as dry as a desert, for real. Maybe I'll try an ACV or baking soda rinse to clarify. I've never tried that before, but I feel like because of all the oil and shea butter I put in my hair, I should clarify with something every once in a while to get my scalp completely clean...

Anywho, I'll step it up a notch and start DC'ing regularly and see what happens.

i use an herbal wash (shikakai, aritha, tulsi powders) with a squirt or two of castile soap. Then i dc with Hi-pro protein pak or Queen helene cholesterol. I mix this with aloe vera(liquid) and honey. Put on a baggie and sit under the dryer for 30-45 mins.

i have not been deep conditioning while in braids. but just i started doing the oil rinses. and using the shikakai and amla tea rinse on my braids. My hair is much softer and more moisturized.

i alternate with co washes mid week and then on the weekend i usually wash with sulphur 8 and redo the braids around the hairline especially every 2 to 3 wks to ensure that they don't get stuck together. i don't use a comb i just use my fingers to separate the hair before braiding it again.

While my hair is out of braids though i do co washes and deep condition every week until i redo my braids.

Back