Do you brush your wet hair?

Do you brush your hair up into ponytails when it's wet?

• Yes, all the time.

Votes: 37 25.3%
  • No, never.

Votes: 69 47.3%
  • Sometimes I do.

Votes: 40 27.4%

• Total voters

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
Do you brush your hair while it's wet up into ponytails? If not, how do you get it to lay neatly before tying it down? I airdry my hair in a bun. I was thinking about it this morning while I was brushing it up into a ponytail. I try to brush gently, just enough to make the outter layer of hair lay smoothly before I wrap my hair up. What do you do?

Never - I put my leave-in on, seal ends and use a wide tooth comb up to ponytail or back into bun. If I have too, I use the scarf method to lay down hairs that don't want to otherwise.

I just noticed this myself this morning getting ready for work. I DC'd last night and didn't tie my hair down and got up with an afro. I sprayed some leave in and got to brushing. I think I am going to cut back on that, though.

I just noticed this myself this morning getting ready for work. I DC'd last night and didn't tie my hair down and got up with an afro. I sprayed some leave in and got to brushing. I think I am going to cut back on that, though.
Yeah, for the 1st time since I started the bunning/airdrying, I was thinking if I could be messing my hair up by brushing. I think I'll try other ways to smooth it down for the next few days and see how that works for me.

Yeah, for the 1st time since I started the bunning/airdrying, I was thinking if I could be messing my hair up by brushing. I think I'll try other ways to smooth it down for the next few days and see how that works for me.

Sometimes it takes a heavier butter or sealant to make hair lay down.

I did this daily for months and my edges thinned out.Now I apply a creamy leave in before or sometimes I let it dry and then add more leave in and smooth it down.

I funked up my edges up by brushing when my hair was dry. I'm having to lock my brush away and use lots of leave-in to lay it down. This is making my hair greasy though so i am going to have to wash more often.

How does everyone else deal with the greasiness/build up or do you just wash more often.

I'm using ORS Olive Oil moisturiser and seal with any oil that comes to hand....Oilve oil, Wonder 8 Oil or Camillia (sp?) oil.

I voted "no", that is a dissaster waiting to happen, but my daughter is natural and I use the denman on her hair if that counts.

I brush 2x weekly to smooth not to detangle. I prefer a seamless comb for detangling. I use a boar bristle brush, lightly(no rough brushing). Sometimes I use my fingers too.

Yeah I brush my hair wet anytime I need to. I have no problem with it as long as I have something on it for slip.

I think my beautician is breaking my hair of then in the middle. After she washes it she always really rough when she is trying to detangle. She takes a brush simlar to a paddle brush but not as big and brushes it really hard. I always ask her why it is so difficult and she claims it's because my hair is so long. We weren't relaxing my hair bone straight for at least two years now but the two different textures made it really tangled when it was wet so we went completly straight. It's still a really rough experience when she is trying to detangle my hair. Maybe I need to find a new stylists? Idk

I think my beautician is breaking my hair of then in the middle. After she washes it she always really rough when she is trying to detangle. She takes a brush simlar to a paddle brush but not as big and brushes it really hard. I always ask her why it is so difficult and she claims it's because my hair is so long. We weren't relaxing my hair bone straight for at least two years now but the two different textures made it really tangled when it was wet so we went completly straight. It's still a really rough experience when she is trying to detangle my hair. Maybe I need to find a new stylists? Idk
I think so. If you feel that someone is being too rough on your hair, most likely, they are.

Yes in the shower but I tried to wet ponytail my hair about a month ago... I think the problem was that I tried to move the ponytail up form where I usually wear it... Give myself a high pony... Ooo hayle naw.... :nono: My arms hurt for DAYS after I did that and I ended up quitting and just balling it up in a bun. It made me so mad!! I dont usually quit on my hair but I quit that day!:wallbash: If I do brush it wet, now its in the shower with a denman, My hair is getting to be a hassle the longer it gets. So I will stick to low ponys done in the shower from now on.

Yes in the shower but I tried to wet ponytail my hair about a month ago... I think the problem was that I tried to move the ponytail up form where I usually wear it... Give myself a high pony... Ooo hayle naw.... :nono: My arms hurt for DAYS after I did that and I ended up quitting and just balling it up in a bun. It made me so mad!! I dont usually quit on my hair but I quit that day!:wallbash: If I do brush it wet, now its in the shower with a denman, My hair is getting to be a hassle the longer it gets. So I will stick to low ponys done in the shower from now on.
Wow! I think it's safe to assume I don't have as much hair you do :grin:. When I do my wet ptails, I usually only brush on the top/sides on the outter part so it can look smooth, I try not to brush hard or deep into the hairs. As for under the ptail (back/bottom of hair), I smooth with my hands and hope that any stray hairs go into my pantyhose ponytail :lol: They usually don't though :look: oh well...

Do you brush your hair while it's wet up into ponytails? If not, how do you get it to lay neatly before tying it down? I airdry my hair in a bun. I was thinking about it this morning while I was brushing it up into a ponytail. I try to brush gently, just enough to make the outter layer of hair lay smoothly before I wrap my hair up. What do you do?
No, never. I'll use my jilbere detangling shower comb to detangle and smooth my hair into a ponytail. Then i'll use a styling comb with the teeth a little bit closer, then i'll use a small teeth comb and concentrate on the edges and nape to smooth the hair in a ponytail more. But never a brush.

I funked up my edges up by brushing when my hair was dry. I'm having to lock my brush away and use lots of leave-in to lay it down. This is making my hair greasy though so i am going to have to wash more often.

How does everyone else deal with the greasiness/build up or do you just wash more often.

I'm using ORS Olive Oil moisturiser and seal with any oil that comes to hand....Oilve oil, Wonder 8 Oil or Camillia (sp?) oil.

I hated the greasy feeling that ORS Olive Oil moisturizer gave me, so I switched to EQP mango butter moisturizer.

I brush my hair wet all the time...I prefer it be wet or else I can't get it into a bun. I wear it in a bun almost daily...so typically what I do is, when I'm in the shower, I'll wet my whole head...apply my leave-in and an oil, then brush into a bun. Then tie down a scarf over it the second I step out the shower (I may wet the brush AGAIN and brush it down a lil more RIGHT before tying the scarf on).

My hair has to be wet and have conditioner on it for me to manipulate it into a bun. So for me, I feel that I have to wet my hair and usually the brush, too!

I brush my wet hair with a Denman, if that counts. I brush it in the shower under running water to detangle. then when I'm out of the shower. I put in my leave-in, moisturizer, and sealer. then use the denman again to smooth into two ponytails.

Yeah I brush my hair wet anytime I need to. I have no problem with it as long as I have something on it for slip.

Me too! After I rinse out my conditioner when I co-wash, I lightly brush with a soft boar bristle brush under running water. No problems as of yet.

No, I usually make them low and use the water pressure to get it going in the right direction, then add my products, then tie down.

I brush my hair wet as well, but I try to avoid brushing the length and ends of my hair.

I use th Denman brush to brush my hair into a ponytail when it's wet and with some sort of leave in.

I find it helps keep my edges smooth, mind i only do that on wash days.

I only brush in the shower, with gobs of conditioner on my hair. I use the Denman after I detangle with my shower comb. The only reason I use it then, is I feel like it gets the extra shead hairs out.

My hair isn't long enough for a pony yet. When I do a puff, I wet or spritz my hair, put in my leave in and add shea butter mix to seal. I add extra shea to the areas that I want smooth.Comb back some and push a head band on smoothing with my hand. I used to put something over the smoothed down areas to keep ends down, but my hair has grown out where I don't have to do that anymore.

I hardly ever smooth my hair back. Just push it back with a head band and go. I really don't care if its smooth flat.

I brush my hair wet all the time...I prefer it be wet or else I can't get it into a bun. I wear it in a bun almost daily...so typically what I do is, when I'm in the shower, I'll wet my whole head...apply my leave-in and an oil, then brush into a bun. Then tie down a scarf over it the second I step out the shower (I may wet the brush AGAIN and brush it down a lil more RIGHT before tying the scarf on).

My hair has to be wet and have conditioner on it for me to manipulate it into a bun. So for me, I feel that I have to wet my hair and usually the brush, too!
Exactly what she said.

Yes all the time. I use a denman or a a soft bristle brush. My hair is really thick and I can't get it into a ponytail or bun without a brush.

Back