Do You Bring Your Own RELAXER With You To The Salon??

MizzBrown

I don't even bring shampoo, conditioner or anything else but the last trip to the salon she used Affirm...it was aiight....:ohwell:

I just wonder if she'd look at me crazy if i came up in there with my own tub of relaxer.

I hear so many positive results about other relaxers that I want to try but i know she only sticks with maybe 1-3 staples in her salon.

Any ladies do this? What relaxer do you bring? What prompted you to bring your own? What is your stylists response when doing so? What yall think??

BUMP!

No one brings their own relaxers?? When my stretch ends i wanna try ORS or Silk elements Lye. I know she aint got that in her shop.

Hey, I brought Phyto to a salon before and the lady was pissed! My mom currently apply my relaxer so I'm good. The stylist that I wanted to apply Phyto never heard of it, so she refused to use it. Then she proceeded to say, If you want me to put it in really bad it will cost you EXTRA! I was like:perplexed

Why don't you ask your stylist if she would mind you bringing in your own relaxer. I wouldn't just show up with a tub of relaxer. I would let her know my intent on using a new relaxer. Maybe she will want to research the product before hand. If you are the only person in that salon requesting a specific relaxer, then I don't see why it would be a big deal for you to bring your own.

Last edited:
Just check with tthe stylist to see if its ok to bring outside products. I know of a salon that doesnt allow you to bring any outside products not even your own shampoo and conditioner. The funny thing is that they dont even use salon quality products at that shop.

Ummm, yeah... I bring my own relaxer with no shame either.... I started doing this years ago after mishaps with relaxers and hairdressers. Even before I started bringing all my products, my relaxer is something I always bought. After joining the boards, I realized the difference in my hair in using no-lye over lye...... not dryness, but lye seems to have a more texturizing effect on my hair, though it's harsher on my scalp :look:. Anyway, I realize that most of the Dom. hairdressers I go to use a lot of no-lye, and the lye relaxers they have are ones I don't want to use, so I bring my own. Also, there was a time when I'd occassionally add a few drops of oil to my relaxer, so I just bring it with me.

I don't even bring shampoo, conditioner or anything else but the last trip to the salon she used Affirm...it was aiight....:ohwell:

I just wonder if she'd look at me crazy if i came up in there with my own tub of relaxer.

I hear so many positive results about other relaxers that I want to try but i know she only sticks with maybe 1-3 staples in her salon.

Any ladies do this? What relaxer do you bring? What prompted you to bring your own? What is your stylists response when doing so? What yall think??
I've brought conditioner with me, special shampoo, relaxer (I bought Optimum because the salon didn't carry that brand- I've since changed to Affirm), scalp oil too. They didn't offer these things and I had special needs, like ultra dry scalp that the products I brought with me were for. My stylist had no problem at all. If you need something that they don't offer, then yes, bring your own. But make sure to take it back when you leave, cuz they will use it on someone else.

I don't. Like you, I want to try ORS and I know I will have to bring my own relaxer to the salon.

I use ORS no lye and i brought it to the salon.

I dotn see why a stylist would mind.

If a salon only carries 3 types of relaxers. Those types of relaxers are not going to work for EVERYONE:spinning:

I bring mine and my stylist doesnt say anything.

My stylist uses Mizani Mild on my hair so for the time being I'm good. BUT I will not hesitate to bring my own stash if need be. I have sensitive skin and some of the stuff she's used in the past irritated my scalp horrendously.

I always bring my own color and conditioner. I brought relaxer the last time I went the the stylist was very impressed with the it (phyto). She knows that whatever I put in my hair must be good because it wouldn't be the way it is, so she does not question me. In fact, she charges me less for bringing my own stuff...

Any ladies do this? What relaxer do you bring? What prompted you to bring your own? What is your stylists response when doing so? What yall think??[/quote]

Yes, I bring my own relaxer. The relaxer that I use is design essentials and I bring it because they do not use it at the salon. My stylist doesn't have a negative response. She trust my judgement and knows that I put quality products in my hair. However, even if her response was negative and I know that the product is beneficial to me, her input wouldn't matter. If it was something that I was unsure of then, I'd take heed to what she has to say. I don't aim to please the stylist, I just try to do what's best for my hair.

Last edited:
Why should they get pissed????!!!! You're saving them money by bringing your own supplies. Sheesh!!!! A lot of beauty salons and so-called stylists need to get over themselves.

Back