Do You Believe This...What Do you Say?

Nice & Wavy

295669_434383226648249_317009404_n.jpg

Proverbs 13:24, “He who spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is careful to discipline him.”

Proverbs 23:13 says, “Do not withhold discipline from a child; if you punish him with the rod, he will not die.”

I agree, the discipline must be out of Love or righteous indignation, as prescribed in the above Scriptures, and not fear or hate -- then it's considered abuse. Like beating that behind and cursing out the child at the same time..lol I also consider a child has a mind of their own and can rebel. In all, I believe God's Word is a good foundation... they won't ever depart from it, no matter how hard they try throughout their life!

I agree, the discipline must be out of Love or righteous indignation, as prescribed in the above Scriptures, and not fear or hate -- then it's considered abuse. Like beating that behind and cursing out the child at the same time..lol I also consider a child has a mind of their own and can rebel. In all, I believe God's Word is a good foundation... they won't ever depart from it, no matter how hard they try throughout their life!

Laela I must be sleepy b/c in your siggy I read "Caffeine Praise" instead of Carefree Praise :lol:

Yes, I agree. My momma use to beat my butt and for every hit, she had a word....:lachen:. ie: "didn't :spank:I :spank:tell:spank:you:spank:not:spank:to:spank:do :spank:that:spank:....."

:look::lol::lol::lol:

I got punished and beatings on occasion and some times a combo of both, lol.

Yes, I'm a beleiver...

Sometimes a firm talking to can be just as effective, but with different children different methods of discipline may be necessary.

The Lord reproves and corrects us, so we should do the same with our children and sometimes when we make decisions independent of God, the repercussions can feel like a beating.

There are many elements in raising children to be productive citizens in society. Beatings, scoldings or spankings help too because the child understands that there are consequences in this world when we don't do the right things. The Word of God is apart of the foundation BUT what makes the difference is when the parents DO THE WORD AT HOME AND EVERYDAY LIFE. You cannot quote scriptures but your home is filled strife and is a war zone.

Parents are representations of God if they call on the name of God. We have children that run from God in their youth because they think God is harsh, judgmental, nasty or any other host of negative ideas of God. Nevertheless, children need boundaries. Just like we have laws in life because people need boundaries and don't respect boundaries or lack the right fundamental elements. On the other hand, we have children that have grown up without a father figure struggling with understanding that God is a loving and good father because their father figure couldn't be trusted or represented instability by not being around---making broken promises, etc.

Even if a child is rebellious, when they hit their lows. They will remember momma or daddy followed God and looked how God brought them out. Slowly, they will come back to God as the prodigal son.

So much more could be expressed...

Last edited:
I so agree with this... especially the bolded. I grew up with an "island hand," so I got a combo too. Sometimes even the 'silent look' was effective... :lol:

Yes, I'm a beleiver...

Sometimes a firm talking to can be just as effective, but with different children different methods of discipline may be necessary.

The Lord reproves and corrects us, so we should do the same with our children and sometimes when we make decisions independent of God, the repercussions can feel like a beating.

Yes, I'm a beleiver...

I like your answer to the question.

I totally agree! God knew how lack of discipline could essentially 'harm' a person. Although we do not see God, we know that our disobedience and rebellion can lead to punishment. Similar to parenting.....

the "island hand", that's what ever came to my mother's hand you might get a beating with.

Yep and I know about "the eye" or the "the look", only Jesus could help you, if you got a pinch, follow up with the I dare you to make a sound look.:lachen:

I so agree with this... especially the bolded. I grew up with an "island hand," so I got a combo too. Sometimes even the 'silent look' was effective... :lol:

Yes, I'm a beleiver...

Thanks, ladies for answering my post! All your answers are on point!

I didn't grow up in an island home, but it was the same in the American home...that look
mqdefault.jpg

Was seen in your dreams....:lachen:

I strongly support disciplining children when necessary but I do believe some parents take it too far and are abusive. I believe cuts and bruises are abusive and appalled at some of the instruments some patents use to "discipline" their children. Some ppl beat their children like they're slaves :(

For Christian parents, I believe it comes down to righteous indignation -- as opposed to anger or fear, which would be the root cause of abuse, IMHO. But, excellent point.... :yep:
By "instruments" do you mean a belt or switch??

I strongly support disciplining children when necessary but I do believe some parents take it too far and are abusive. I believe cuts and bruises are abusive and appalled at some of the instruments some patents use to "discipline" their children. Some ppl beat their children like they're slaves :(

For Christian parents, I believe it comes down to righteous indignation -- as opposed to anger or fear, which would be the root cause of abuse, IMHO. But, excellent point.... :yep:
By "instruments" do you mean a belt or switch??

No, unfortunately I've seen people use extension cords:nono:. I used to witness my uncle beat my cousins terribly growing up, and I can still remember how terrified I felt. Some of those beatings were justified with Scripture.

Last edited:
Yes, I agree. My momma use to beat my butt and for every hit, she had a word....:lachen:. ie: "didn't :spank:I :spank:tell:spank:you:spank:not:spank:to:spank:do :spank:that:spank:....."

:look::lol::lol::lol:

:rofl3:

We had the same mother... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

She called me by my entire name (which is lonnggggg by the way) and I knew it was over for me. Mommie would pull that switch from the hedges and tear my little chubby legs up.

That's when I did the hit and kick dance. :lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

Everytime "Mommie" would hit my legs with the switch, I'd do a kick. The faster she hit, the faster and higher my kicks and my legs were moving like a pair of chubby scissors with red welps.

I think that's how I became a 'Dancer'. My Ballet kicks and plie's are skilled. :look: :lol:

Yes chile....:lol::lol::lol::lol: She would be calling my name and the name of the Lord as she to' my butt up. I was such a spoiled brat, being the baby...and I tried her so much. I got away with a ton of stuff with my daddy...I was his baby girl...:lachen:

The 'hit and kick' dance is hilarious!!!

:rofl3:

We had the same mother... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

She called me by my entire name (which is lonnggggg by the way) and I knew it was over for me. Mommie would pull that switch from the hedges and tear my little chubby legs up.

That's when I did the hit and kick dance. :lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

Everytime "Mommie" would hit my legs with the switch, I'd do a kick. The faster she hit, the faster and higher my kicks and my legs were moving like a pair of chubby scissors with red welps.

I think that's how I became a 'Dancer'. My Ballet kicks and plie's are skilled. :look: :lol:

Yeah witnessing a good wallop as child can be terrifying. Were they being punished for something they consciously did wrong or just because??

My mom's "instruments" were her hands.... seriously, as a kid I used to think her hands were made of rubber... lol So I tried my best to avoid those hands. I always remember why I was disciplined, though. That is why I believe a child should know why they are being punished so they learn the lesson, and it's always because they consciously did something wrong. Beating them for no reason or beating them because they are klutzy (like spilling juice by mistake) only confuses them and is abusive. Of course, anyone can use the Bible to justify their actions. God doesn't twist His Words, man does...or just misinterpret it.

No, unfortunately I've seen people use extension cords:nono:. I used to witness my uncle beat my cousins terribly growing up, and I can still remember how terrified I felt. Some of those beatings were justified with Scripture.

Back