Votes: 33 3.2%
  • No, I haven't but I've always wanted to

Votes: 518 49.6%
  • Nope, never considered it

Votes: 200 19.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I did a strand test last night. It looks ok. My grays were a goldish/orange color.

I used olive oil, a squirt of conditioner and a little honey. I got mine from Henna for Hair also. I think I'm going to try the Jamilla henna, I've heard good things about it. I got Body Art Quality 3. I read on Henna for Hair's site that the BAQ3 gives better coverage for gray hairs. I'm going to use this type for a couple of more applications and switch to Jamilla.

I think I made it too thick, I didn't get any drips and used all that I made(100 grams).

I'm going to take a nap and then tackle the next phase, rinsing it out of my hair. :)

Can't wait to hear how everything turned out, Bealady.

I did it. It wasn't too bad. I ended up with jet black hair. I wanted to have more of a copper reddish color. I did a mix of 2:1:1 of henna, alma and indigo.

I didn't have any drips but I did make it a little thick. I didn't have a big problem rinsing it out. My gray patches turned out orange. I knew I should have waited a couple of days and let it oxidize but I was going to my family for Thanksgiving dinner and I didn't want them talking about me. I made a batch of indigo and applied it. It covered all my gray and I'm now jet black. Since I was mainly going for gray coverage and conditioning it's ok.

It wasn't a bad experience. My hair was a little dry so I used leave ins and glycerin and slept under a plastic bag. I'm natural and I have major shrinkage. It feels thicker but I think it's because of the shrinkage.

I've been wanting to use JFM Texture Softner but I'm not sure because some people have said that henna loosens the curl pattern with repeated usage.

It sounds like you aren't too thrilled with your results...but the indigo should start to fade, from what I've read, and the red of the henna starts to shine through. Perhaps the other henna experts will come in with some recommendations.

I did experience some loosening of curl, after the second treatment, but I really slathered it on & I didn't leave it on my head for 3 hours. I've heard mixed results though. I think some one posted on this site that they were texturized & hennaed but the henna pulled out too much of their curl...just a heads up..

It sounds like you aren't too thrilled with your results...but the indigo should start to fade, from what I've read, and the red of the henna starts to shine through. Perhaps the other henna experts will come in with some recommendations.

I did experience some loosening of curl, after the second treatment, but I really slathered it on & I didn't leave it on my head for 3 hours. I've heard mixed results though. I think some one posted on this site that they were texturized & hennaed but the henna pulled out too much of their curl...just a heads up..

My main goal was gray coverage so I'm pretty happy with that. I did want a little color so that was a little disappointing.

I will definitely henna again. The process was much easier than I thought.

Doing my first Henna right now YAY.

I mixed 100g of Jamila henna last night with water, some Dabur Vatika oil, and some random squirts of con. It came out with a nice thickish pudding like consistency that was perfect getting on. I also added a wee bit of really black coffee and squeeze of lemon juice.

And I really love how it smells. If it comes out half as good as I"m hoping I'll be a devoted henna head.

I did a henna treatment earlier this afternoon. Just washed it out. Sitting here with my reconstructor (Millenia Mud) on my head right now. I definitely had dye release and it rinsed easily. My hair is very soft and i love the darkness of it. Only a little shedding and a little breakage (was experiencing this from a product that i discontinued). Great experience.

Hello everyone,
I have been using henna and indigo since February and I love it. My only problem was conquering the dryness and the after effects (breakage) that occurs with henna treatments. I had a lot of breakage and my hair stylist did not want me to use henna anymore on my thin/fine hair. I was devastated and looked for way sto combat the problem.

Reporting on a treatment I did last night. It has many steps, but worth it! I think I finally have the dryness issue licked using them. :yep: Thanks Sareca, Kadijah and the rest of the ladies here for your ideas and feedback!
  1. Mixed henna with just plain warm water and Amla oil
  2. Let sit for only 3 hours as opposed to 12 hours or overnight (I still got bright red tones)
  3. Applied Nexxus Humectress to dry hair and covered with conditioning cap until time to henna.
  4. Rinse out Humectress and oil rinse with EVOO and hot water
  5. Applied henna to towel-dried hair in sections. I smoothed the henna on each section from root to tip without overmanipulation.
  6. Sit for 2 hours, rinsed with conditioner
  7. Mixed idigo with hot water and a pinch of salt. Applied to damp hair and let sit for 1 hour.
  8. Oil rinsed again and then shampooed with diluted Creme of Nature.
  9. Deep conditioned with Capilo Avocado conditioner for 30 minutes (with heat cap)
  10. Detangled and added my leave-in.
  11. Air-dried to damp, and smoothed on CHI SI.
  12. Flatironed on the lowest temperature (140) just to smooth the cuticle.
My hair is awesome! Soft, silky and black as coal and my greys and off-brown sections are no more! And the most impressive thing is there is no dryness or breakage at all! :grin:

I can't keep my hands out of my hair! The Capilo Avocado really adds elasticity to my hair and that is what I need to keep the breakage at bey.

This will be my staple product especially when performing my henna/indigo treatments.

Hello everyone,
I have been using henna and indigo since February and I love it. My only problem was conquering the dryness and the after effects (breakage) that occurs with henna treatments. I had a lot of breakage and my hair stylist did not want me to use henna anymore on my thin/fine hair. I was devastated and looked for way sto combat the problem.

Reporting on a treatment I did last night. It has many steps, but worth it! I think I finally have the dryness issue licked using them. :yep: Thanks Sareca, Kadijah and the rest of the ladies here for your ideas and feedback!
  2. Let sit for only 3 hours as opposed to 12 hours or overnight (I still got bright red tones)
  3. Applied Nexxus Humectress to dry hair and covered with conditioning cap until time to henna.
  5. Applied henna to towel-dried hair in sections. I smoothed the henna on each section from root to tip without overmanipulation.
  7. Mixed idigo with hot water and a pinch of salt. Applied to damp hair and let sit for 1 hour.
  9. Deep conditioned with Capilo Avocado conditioner for 30 minutes (with heat cap)
My hair is awesome! Soft, silky and black as coal and my greys and off-brown sections are no more! And the most impressive thing is there is no dryness or breakage at all! :grin:

I can't keep my hands out of my hair! The Capilo Avocado really adds elasticity to my hair and that is what I need to keep the breakage at bey.

This will be my staple product especially when performing my henna/indigo treatments.

Thank you for posting. A few questions... What leave-in conditioner do you use? Where do you purchase your Indigo? For the rinse do you just mix the oil and water together first? Thanks!

Hello everyone,

I did something similar to this and just finished a few hours back. Love my Indigo look and will love it even more in a few days when it oxidize (sp?).

Hi Everyone!

I posted another thread, but since this one is on going I decided to post my questions on here. I have purchased Henna and Indigo, and have done a strand test. My mom also tried henna/indigo on her hair today (She only put this around her hairline).

What I have noticed when doing the strand tests, when I rinse the Henna out, the hair is knotty and dry. Also when my mom was rinsing out her hair she commented on how hard her hair was and how the mixture turned hard on her head. Is there anything that I can add to the mixture for it not to dry up like that on the hair? This is the mixture that I did:

50g Henna
3 Tablespoons of Lemon Juice
2 tablespoons Jojoba Oil
Warm Water
30g Indigo

I also noticed when I was putting the mixture on my mom's head that it was drying up pretty quickly.

Just to be more specific, both my mom and I press our hair, so we are natural.

Another question, on some of the replies before this I have read that some people just mix warm water with henna without the lemon juice and leave it overnight. Does this release the dye?

Try adding yogurt and honey to your mixture. This should help with the dryness issues that you are having. Let me know how this goes for you.

Hi Everyone!

I posted another thread, but since this one is on going I decided to post my questions on here. I have purchased Henna and Indigo, and have done a strand test. My mom also tried henna/indigo on her hair today (She only put this around her hairline).

What I have noticed when doing the strand tests, when I rinse the Henna out, the hair is knotty and dry. Also when my mom was rinsing out her hair she commented on how hard her hair was and how the mixture turned hard on her head. Is there anything that I can add to the mixture for it not to dry up like that on the hair? This is the mixture that I did:

50g Henna
3 Tablespoons of Lemon Juice
2 tablespoons Jojoba Oil
Warm Water
30g Indigo

I also noticed when I was putting the mixture on my mom's head that it was drying up pretty quickly.

Just to be more specific, both my mom and I press our hair, so we are natural.

Another question, on some of the replies before this I have read that some people just mix warm water with henna without the lemon juice and leave it overnight. Does this release the dye?

You could try adding more oil - maybe something less expensive than jojoba though. I used to use Dabur Amla Hair Oil, but now add Dabur Vatika or Meera Herbal Hair Oil to my mixture. It gives a nice consistency that doesn't dry up but isn't too runny either.

Last edited:
In addition to oil you can add some conditioner. I used up some of what was left in a few bottles laying around and found it helped with rinsing a lot.

The mix on my head right now has a TON of conditioner and oil in it because I also relaxed earlier today.

I just had another wonderful henna experience. I mixed avocado with henna, shakakai, honey and hot water. I only let the mix stay on for 1 hr and 45 min, but it feels heavenly still. Strong, soft, and minimal dryness. I washed the henna mix out with a conditioner, and then deep conditioned with Aveda DR for 45 minutes. I'm thinking this is the mix I'm going to stay with unless it lets me down. Woohoo!!! Love this henna! :grin:

I just had another wonderful henna experience. I mixed avocado with henna, shakakai, honey and hot water. I only let the mix stay on for 1 hr and 45 min, but it feels heavenly still. Strong, soft, and minimal dryness. I washed the henna mix out with a conditioner, and then deep conditioned with Aveda DR for 45 minutes. I'm thinking this is the mix I'm going to stay with unless it lets me down. Woohoo!!! Love this henna! :grin:
Welcome to the "I Love Henna" Club! :grin:

Count me in with the ones who've had good henna experiences. I did my first one, on wet hair (after an aphogee treatment), and my mix consisted of 100g of henna, lemon juice and apple cider vinegar (I ran out of lemon juice) and about two table spoons of olive oil. My hair feels and looks good, even the middle of my hair which I see no was just shriveled up is the same length as the rest of my hair (but it is thin from the braids, to me). But the henna realliy polished my hair with a shine and I can't stop playing with it, and haven't had any breakage. I'm hooked, my hair feels real good! Next time I will only use lemon juice and the oil. I will follow the exact same regimine, it worke for me on wet hair, so that's how I will do it.

Count me in with the ones who've had good henna experiences. I did my first one, on wet hair (after an aphogee treatment), and my mix consisted of 100g of henna, lemon juice and apple cider vinegar (I ran out of lemon juice) and about two table spoons of olive oil. My hair feels and looks good, even the middle of my hair which I see no was just shriveled up is the same length as the rest of my hair (but it is thin from the braids, to me). But the henna realliy polished my hair with a shine and I can't stop playing with it, and haven't had any breakage. I'm hooked, my hair feels real good! Next time I will only use lemon juice and the oil. I will follow the exact same regimine, it worke for me on wet hair, so that's how I will do it.

I am so happy to read about your first henna and your good experience! Welcome to the team!

I do want to caution use of lemon juice and ACV. It may not have happened this time, but it can and will dry your hair and breakage can occur over time. In addition, henna strengthens the hair so if anything, you'll want to DC with a moisturizing conditioner instead of protein prior to treatment.

Mix your henna with plain water and oil for starters and it will be just as good or better. :yep:

That's all I have to say! Everything else you are doing is fine! Congratulations Chica!

Nice! :grin: I might have to investigate using shakakai too. I bought some, but haven't used it yet...

I used to mix henna and amla together with water and lemon juice or acv. My greys would be copper and I wasn't too crazy about that. So lately I've been mixing the henna, water, lemon juice or acv and letting the dye release. Right before I apply the henna to my hair, I mix the amla and water together then add to the henna. I think that maybe the brown color from the amla powder doesn't stain as well after sitting in the henna so long. I didn't have any copper tones doing it this way.

Sometimes I add lemon juice or acv, most times I don't. I combat any potential dryness by not shampooing my hair after henna. Strictly cowash to get it out then I poo at the next wash.

I've been using a mixture of amla, shikakai, and aritha to wash my hair. Would it be a good idea to add cassia to the washing mix while continuing to henna every 4-6 weeks?

Hey Girls!

I have another question. I will not be officially trying the henna until two weeks from now, so I'm trying to get everything straight.

What is the difference between the different brands of Henna? I'm hearing (rather reading) of Jamila, Reshma, Khamsa Yemini, etc. I ordered Henna from fromnaturewithlove, and it does not state what brand of henna they sell. I don't want my hair to come out matted (which is what happened in the strand test), so I want to make sure that I have a good brand.

Thanks in advance!

Hey Girls!

I have another question. I will not be officially trying the henna until two weeks from now, so I'm trying to get everything straight.

What is the difference between the different brands of Henna? I'm hearing (rather reading) of Jamila, Reshma, Khamsa Yemini, etc. I ordered Henna from fromnaturewithlove, and it does not state what brand of henna they sell. I don't want my hair to come out matted (which is what happened in the strand test), so I want to make sure that I have a good brand.

Thanks in advance!

I have used Karishma Herbal Henna and the henna from www.fromnaturewithlove.com with good results. You should be a-ok.

I really want to try this henna...for real. I've been thinking about it off and on for over a year now, but my shedding and not wanting to use permanent color again has brought me to henna, along with this thread!

I was wondering if there was anyone in Atlanta, that henna's their hair and would like to go to an Indian store together, and help each other out doing their hair. I thought it would be fun to go with someone, who loves this stuff, as opposed to someone who knows nothing about it and is looking at me like I'm crazy :drunk:.

I used to mix henna and amla together with water and lemon juice or acv. My greys would be copper and I wasn't too crazy about that. So lately I've been mixing the henna, water, lemon juice or acv and letting the dye release. Right before I apply the henna to my hair, I mix the amla and water together then add to the henna. I think that maybe the brown color from the amla powder doesn't stain as well after sitting in the henna so long. I didn't have any copper tones doing it this way.

Sometimes I add lemon juice or acv, most times I don't. I combat any potential dryness by not shampooing my hair after henna. Strictly cowash to get it out then I poo at the next wash.

angellazetta, I too cover gray with henna. I use orange juice in my henna mix - leave it in my garage overnight. When I apply it to my head I will leave it on for about 4 hours and then follow up with a Indigo treatment that I leave on for about an hour. Results are wonderful - no clown red roots (after I use indigo) and my hair is a natural shade of black when I finish.

angellazetta, I too cover gray with henna. I use orange juice in my henna mix - leave it in my garage overnight. When I apply it to my head I will leave it on for about 4 hours and then follow up with a Indigo treatment that I leave on for about an hour. Results are wonderful - no clown red roots (after I use indigo) and my hair is a natural shade of black when I finish.

Henna with Indigo is the best. When you just need a touch up you can do an Indigo or Hindigo gloss (that is in here somewhere) to do a light touch up of the roots in between the Henna/Indigo sessions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back