Do ya ever just say F it.....

jainygirl

First of all i'm not big on change but anyway I read so many things on the board as far as conditioning washes, not using heat, shampooing maybe three times a week, on shampooing in the shower, not using products with cones (silicone,cyclomethicone, etc), not using things with mineral oils and lots of other stuff. I've read my poor beloved Cream of Nature taking a beatin in posts
laugh.gif
Anyway I wash my hair in the kitchen sink, blowdry with a comb attachment every week, shampoo using Cream of Nature shampoo every 7-8 days(i dont follow up with a separate conditioner--my hair gets SUPER tangled and feels like crap whenever i do), I use cones, mineral oil, and condition when i deep condition once a month with Queen Helene Cholesterol. I just want to know do any of you just say F it.... i'm glad that people find success using different methods but i'm just doin what works for MY hair?? i mean i've tried stuff but i always end up doing what i've found works best for my hair which doesnt include doing alot of the things i read about. Anyway just wanted to see if i really am the odd person out or do others find the advice on things very helpful and do use it but still use their own routine overall?? TIA -- jainygirl

[ QUOTE ]
jainygirl said:
i mean i've tried stuff but i always end up doing what i've found works best for my hair which doesnt include doing alot of the things i read about.

[/ QUOTE ]

This statement reminds me of how I feel sometimes too!
smile.gif

For example, I sometimes end up using my blow dryer and comb attachment too if I don't like the way my hair turns out from airdrying (something mentioned on this board that I never tried before I found this board). Does anyone know if airdrying is actually better for your hair???

[ QUOTE ]
jainygirl said:
shampoo using Cream of Nature shampoo every 7-8 days(i dont follow up with a separate conditioner--my hair gets SUPER tangled and feels like crap whenever i do),

[/ QUOTE ]

Aside:
Yeah, my hair gets least tangled when I conditioner wash and don't use any other product except the spray on detangler. If I shampoo and then condition, or if I use a protein conditioner and then a moisturizing conditioner, I get more tangles.

On topic:
If it weren't for LHCF, I wouldn't have discovered my beloved products (Rusk Calm, Biolage tonic, Elucence MB conditioner, JF relax serum, CON). I've learned awesome techniques here too (washing in braided sections, detangling ends up, conditioner washes, rollersetting, self-relaxing, vitamins and protein intake to increase growth rate).

I've done a bit of experimenting over the past year. Lately the new stuff I'm trying doesn't measure up to my older favorites. Is that a sign that my product staple search is almost over?
confused.gif

I'm considering donating some hair products that didn't pass muster to a local shelter.

So far the suggestions have been working for me. I thank God for Tracy's wash n go method so I can just wear my curly all the time and don't have to worry about if my wrap or rollerset turns out right.
clap.gif
I might decide to pull out the blow drier and curling irons if I go out with someone new
grin.gif
but right now I don't miss them and my fragile ends are thanking me. My shedding has decreased tremendously.
Ultimately, when it comes to your hair, do what works for you. If you hair thrives with mineral oil and once a week washing, there's no need to change it if you don't want to. If your ends don't end up being split from direct heat, then you don't have to airdry or rollerset. Keep on doing what works for you and use the options if you want to try something new.
smile.gif

I agree that you should do what works best for you and for your hair.
smile.gif
Before I became decent at rollersetting, there was many a day when I would be TOO tempted to just grab the blowdrier w/comb attachment out of the drawer and go to work!! Sometimes you just want to do your hair and go on with your life -- rollersetting makes hair washing a 2 or 3 hour chore...
crazy.gif
But because I have this color in my hair, I just can't afford to do the blowdry thang.
nono.gif
Sometimes I wish I had the option though, you can believe that!!
wink.gif

So, if you know that blowdrying, flat ironing, or using the curling iron once in a while isn't going to do anything tragic to your hair, I say go for it!! You just have to learn how YOUR hair responds to different things. It's trial and error, really.
smile.gif

I dont know bout saying F it, I lost my hair several times to stupid mistakes. But I have considerably toned down everything I do to my hair from when I started reading the forum. I usually just set my hair on average 1 to 2 times per week, blowdry n then wrap everynight. Or other times I wash my hair, rock the wet look and just spritz it every morn w/ Dream curls and the frizz ease leave-in for a couple days in a row. Ive noticed my hair has flourished from me not messing with it every freaking minute.,

Isn't finding out 'what works for your hair' the point? If your hair is healthy and growing, then why change the routine? I've made changes because what I was doing wasn't working for me - I've gotten some great tips from LHCF and I really appreciate them. I never take any tip as a 'must do' for all hair types and situations. I don't do everything suggested on this board but the advice and recommendations have really gotten me to thinking about what is best for MY hair.

The advice given on this board is far ranging so if information on conditioner washes isn't for you - then maybe someone's post on satin sponge rollers or the best blowdryer might be. I guess taking the informaiton that works for you and your hair should be what everyone is doing.

[ QUOTE ]
calbear said:
Isn't finding out 'what works for your hair' the point? If your hair is healthy and growing, then why change the routine? I've made changes because what I was doing wasn't working for me - I've gotten some great tips from LHCF and I really appreciate them. I never take any tip as a 'must do' for all hair types and situations. I don't do everything suggested on this board but the advice and recommendations have really gotten me to thinking about what is best for MY hair.

The advice given on this board is far ranging so if information on conditioner washes isn't for you - then maybe someone's post on satin sponge rollers or the best blowdryer might be. I guess taking the informaiton that works for you and your hair should be what everyone is doing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very well said!
smile.gif

For me, what I was doing before I came to this board was not working for me. Fortunately I already had some of the right products for my hair but I had to learn how to use them correctly and how to develop a regimen. I strongly believe in doing and continuing with whatever works best for our hair.

[ QUOTE ]
Isis said:
For me, what I was doing before I came to this board was not working for me. Fortunately I already had some of the right products for my hair but I had to learn how to use them correctly and how to develop a regimen. I strongly believe in doing and continuing with whatever works best for our hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said, Isis! I agree completely!
smile.gif

Jainy,
I do all the time. I finally think I nailed it down to what works for me or what worked in the past. For me the key was no heat and keeping my ends moist, as simple as that. No Surge, no vitamins, but leaving it ALONE.

[ QUOTE ]
LorraineG said:
Jainy,
I do all the time. I finally think I nailed it down to what works for me or what worked in the past. For me the key was no heat and keeping my ends moist, as simple as that. No Surge, no vitamins, but leaving it ALONE.

[/ QUOTE ]

ITA
cool.gif

Well this board is good to pick up on other ideas or learn of new products that you may have not thought of to try for a particular issue. I have found that with the overwhelming info on here not everything is going to work for everybody. I mostly stick to the tried and true products for my hair. I learned about the Neutrogena triple moisture products and must say that this is the first product that I have picked up from learning about it on this board. I honestly believe you will drive yourself nuts if you try to follow everyones advice on this board. Also you will find yourself severly broke. Stick with what works for you!

I have learned a lot from LHCF before I just abused my hair and it never grew.
Airdrying,co washes and developing a vitamin regimen has made a big difference in my hair.
I cant believe how much my hair is thrieving.

I agree with much of what's been posted here...

When I first joined the boards, I worried about things like cones and mineral oil and petroleum and SLS ALOT. I immediately ran out and bought a bunch of products that didn't contain these ingredients even though generally, my hair was doing ok.

Once I realized that these specifc recs didn't apply to me and my hair, I gave up on them. I had my F it moment - on the things that weren't good for me...

But I did get thinking quite a bit about handling, realized that I was trimming my hair far too much and protein became a staple in my regime which was important for my hair, which is fine - I hadn't made these connections prior to the boards...and they made all the difference in my regime.

So - yeah - I def said "F it"
lachen70.gif
to the things that didn't work for me - but the things that did I sucked up like a sponge...

You should do the same.
smile.gif

Back