Do U Use Special Scissors for Dusting?

Momesque

I am new and just learning about the concept of "dusting." I'd seen people mentioning dusting in my LHCF "lurking" days, but did not learn how to do it. Do you ladies use a particular type of scissors for dusting? Special hair scissors or just whatever household/office-type shears you have lying around?

My stylist is determined to give me a "major" cut, but I don't think I need anything "major" and would like to try dusting first. She wants all my hair to have the exact same thickness and we had a disagreement about this at my last visit. I worked hard to get my hair from ear-length to shoulder-length and, while thickness is definitely my goal, I don't want to start over. She rolls her eyes and says "IT'S JUST HAIR" (ugh, I hate to hear that!) Unfortunately, as much as I love her, I may have to take matters into my own hands now and limit my salon visits (pun intended).

Never, ever, ever, ever, ever use household scissors on your hair.

You should invest in a single pair of hair cutting scissors, and use them ONLY on your hair, and get them sharpened every 6 cuts, or so.

The reason for that is this - when you cut your hair, if the cut isn't clean and sharp, you are going to crush/tear the end of your hair, rather than having a clean cut. A crushed/torn hair end is weak, and will actually encourage the production of split hairs.

Sharp scissors = happy hair. :yep:

*grins* Just ask, ask, ask!!

And do some searches here - there are loads of threads on self-trimming, and there is a really good self-trimming guide on LiveJournal by Feye, I think her name is - someone posted a link not that long ago.....

I've never used household scissors on my tresses. :nono: When I dust my own hair, I use cutting shears that I purchased from Ulta or Sally's.

You should invest in a single pair of hair cutting scissors, and use them ONLY on your hair, and get them sharpened every 6 cuts, or so.

The reason for that is this - when you cut your hair, if the cut isn't clean and sharp, you are going to crush/tear the end of your hair, rather than having a clean cut. A crushed/torn hair end is weak, and will actually encourage the production of split hairs.

Added tip: Hide the scissors!!! I can't stress this enough. If you have other people who live with you (kids, SO, parent...) they may not understand the importance of hair scissors for hair only, and even if you don't catch them using them, they may be using them to cut other stuff.

I added that cause I caught my kids with my hair scissors cutting paper and other kid things the other week. They were "hidden" but once the kids saw them the one time, I could forget it :lol:

HAIR SHEERS ONLY! Goody makes decent ones at a reasonable price $10-$15 you can pick up at your local mega-store/mart.

HAIR SHEERS ONLY! Goody makes decent ones at a reasonable price $10-$15 you can pick up at your local mega-store/mart.

I bought scissors a few days ago at Sally's for $10. I did a search and destroy, which is very time consuming but you can do this over a period of a few days. I section my hair and inspect every inch of hair. I clip wherever I see split ends of knots.

Here's a link to Traycee's Search & Destroy method on Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3C0ndGIZpg

Sometimes i will just snap off the end of a single strand knot just because the scissor is too far, esp when i'm braiding my hair. I need to stop doing that!!

Back