Do texlaxers have special product needs?

lonei

Hi ladies, I have found that my product needs have changed since becoming texlaxed. This is mainly to combat matting when wet, to help with detangling the hair and to minimise frizz once my hair is dry. I have tried so many products and the ones that work for me with these issues are:

Keracare poo and con=helps alleviate matting
NTM leave in=minimises frizz when rollersetting
Salerm 21= helps detangling

I notice that Isis has texlaxed hair, even more so than mine and doesn't seem to have a problem with these issues. I think she uses Nexus products.

Do you feel that if your hair is underprocessed, you have special product needs?

Please elaborate and list the products you use and what it helps with. Thanks.

lonei, your hair is so beautiful. I can only dream! I want to add this thread to my favorites. Is it a special feature I can use on the board? How? I want to keep up with this thread since I plan on textulaxing sometime soon.

TIA:)

I also use Nexxus products. I use both the Therappe shampoo and Humectress conditioner. I LOVE the humectress conditioner. I also use NTM or Salerm 21 as a leave in. I am going to try Rusk (first saw it in Sylver's album) next though.

I dont know if my product needs are different because I'm now texturized. If I had found LHCF, and was using my regime while I was relaxed I would be able to compare my product needs more accurately. Sometimes I wonder if I should just go back to relaxed since I have learned so much from LHCF. But because I dont want any set backs I think I'll just continue texturizing for now...:)

I have braids in right now but when I take it out next weekend I'll post some pics of my hair.

As far as special product needs go, I haven't thought about it exactly that way since I have had underprocessed or texlaxed for a few years. I probably did need special products and didn't know it. :lol: When I joined LHCF I realized I didn't know much about most products and what they did, like leave-ins, serums, daily moisturizers, etc. Pitiful, I know but thank goodness for LHCF!

My products haven't changed much, I added a few more because they made life easier. I realized a good leave-in detangles my hair easily (Headress or Biolage), very important when stretching. It's important to use protein every few washes for strength (Keraphix).

IMO, the most important need I believe is keeping the hair moisturized. I still wash and deep condition every 3 days. Sylver introduced me to NTM Silk Touch daily moisturizer recently which really made a difference in my hair, especially the new growth when I was stretching.

Did your hair ever mat when your hair was relaxed straight Lonei?

Last edited:
lonei said:
Hi ladies, I have found that my product needs have changed since becoming texlaxed. This is mainly to combat matting when wet, to help with detangling the hair and to minimise frizz once my hair is dry.
Lonei, other than products, have you changed your regimen to help with your matting issues? For me, washing twice each week made a huge difference with my hair. I used to wash once each week or longer, with my texlaxed hair. I can't remember if it matted or not since I wasn't into healthy haircare at the time, but it was always breaking from major dryness (and heat).

Isis said:
As far as special product needs go, I haven't thought about it exactly that way since I have had underprocessed or texlaxed for a few years. I probably did need special products and didn't know it. :lol: When I joined LHCF I realized I didn't know much about most products and what they did, like leave-ins, serums, daily moisturizers, etc. Pitiful, I know but thank goodness for LHCF!

My products haven't changed much, I added a few more because they made life easier. I realized a good leave-in detangles my hair easily (Headress or Biolage), very important when stretching. It's important to use protein every few washes for strength (Keraphix).

IMO, the most important need I believe is keeping the hair moisturized. I still wash and deep condition every 3 days. Sylver introduced me to NTM Silk Touch daily moisturizer recently which really made a difference in my hair, especially the new growth when I was stretching.

Did your hair ever mat when your hair was relaxed straight Lonei?

Isis, your hair looks very much like mine (except yours is longer). I relaxed my hair with phyto for my last two relaxers. This was after going 34 weeks without a relaxer, so I have about 4"-5" of hair on top that looks a lot like yours. How do you rollerset without a lot of breakage? I'm finding two problems. First, even though the underprocessed (texlaxed) hair is soft when wet, it seems to dry a lot faster and I can't get through rollersetting my entire head (and it seems drier than the relaxed parts). Second, because of this, some parts get very tangled, and I have to use a lot of "manipulation" to get the rat tail part of the comb through my head. This has resulted in a lot of breakage (unecessary breakage in my opinion). What would you suggest? Thank you!

Isis said:
Lonei, other than products, have you changed your regimen to help with your matting issues? For me, washing twice each week made a huge difference with my hair. I used to wash once each week or longer, with my texlaxed hair. I can't remember if it matted or not since I wasn't into healthy haircare at the time, but it was always breaking from major dryness (and heat).

Yes I have in a way, making sure I detangle properly first, washing my hair in 6 braids, being very gentle when i dentangle. Because it is so hard to detangle when wet, I wouldnt have the patience to wash it anymore frequent than I do.

cocoberry10 said:
Isis, your hair looks very much like mine (except yours is longer). I relaxed my hair with phyto for my last two relaxers. This was after going 34 weeks without a relaxer, so I have about 4"-5" of hair on top that looks a lot like yours. How do you rollerset without a lot of breakage? I'm finding two problems. First, even though the underprocessed (texlaxed) hair is soft when wet, it seems to dry a lot faster and I can't get through rollersetting my entire head (and it seems drier than the relaxed parts). Second, because of this, some parts get very tangled, and I have to use a lot of "manipulation" to get the rat tail part of the comb through my head. This has resulted in a lot of breakage (unecessary breakage in my opinion). What would you suggest? Thank you!

This sounds like my hair

s_terry said:
lonei, your hair is so beautiful. I can only dream! I want to add this thread to my favorites. Is it a special feature I can use on the board? How? I want to keep up with this thread since I plan on textulaxing sometime soon.

Thank you, I cant remeber how to add it to your favourites, the forum has changed so much!!!

s_terry said:

Thank you, I cant remember how to add it to your favourites, the forum has changed so much!!!

cocoberry10 said:

Hi Cocoberry!

I have no breakage when rollersetting and my hair stays wet during the 30 plus minutes of the rollersetting process. I noticed you said you use a rattail comb for rollersetting, I don't have one of those, just my wide tooth seamless comb.

1. The first thing I do after I get out of the shower is briefly squeeze my hair with a towel to get the main drips off (I don't towel dry my hair at all)

2. Then I apply the Headress leave-in in sections.

3. I section my hair for the ponytails and comb each through with my wide tooth comb, which glides through easily (my hair is already detangled from rinsing the conditioner under the shower with a large tooth comb).

4. I loosely twist each section up into a loose pincurl/bantu and pin with a Good Hair Days pin. This keeps the hair wet so it doesn't dry out too quickly. I never have to re-wet this way. It also gets the other hair out of the way.

5. I make the ponytails one at a time with my Scunci Hair Hosiery bands (pre-sprayed with extra virgin olive oil spray), add any oils to the length to seal in the moisture, comb that through and roll it up on a magnetic roller.

I have no breakage or tangling or drying out of my hair this way. I hope this helps!:)

lonei said:
Yes I have in a way, making sure I detangle properly first, washing my hair in 6 braids, being very gentle when i dentangle. Because it is so hard to detangle when wet, I wouldnt have the patience to wash it anymore frequent than I do.

Do you think washing your hair in braids contributes to tangling? Have you always braided your hair to wash it? What is the advantage of washing hair by braiding it first? I m just wondering, I've never done this before and it could be a clue.

Back