Do Semi-Permanent colours actually show up if your hair is black?

HairQueen

Hi,I am so excited now that my hair is nice and thick and healthy after a year and a half of bunning and no heat etc I am so happy that I can move on to the next step - colour!

I would love to do a permie colour but am too scared to risk my hair being damaged after all the hard work I put in so I think I will stick to semi- permanent.

I have only ever coloured my hair once many years ago with Adore and I could not see the colour at all on my hair.

I want to try beautiful collection in an auburn type but am wondering does the colour really show up on your hair if it is jet black?

HairQueen said:
Hi,I am so excited now that my hair is nice and thick and healthy after a year and a half of bunning and no heat etc I am so happy that I can move on to the next step - colour!

I would love to do a permie colour but am too scared to risk my hair being damaged after all the hard work I put in so I think I will stick to semi- permanent.

I have only ever coloured my hair once many years ago with Adore and I could not see the colour at all on my hair.

I want to try beautiful collection in an auburn type but am wondering does the colour really show up on your hair if it is jet black?

Not really. You might get a red tone in the sunshine, but that's about it.

Semi permanents as in the ones you don't mix?
No, they wont show up on black hair.
Only red tints.

As for the ones you mix, I don't know.

Is Clairol Beautiful Collection one that you mix? Does anybody know? What about Sebastian colourshines which I keep hearing everybody rave about is that one u mix? Does that show up? :confused:

I just want a colour that shows up but that does no damage to my hair.

Most semi-permanents will not show up on dark hair. You may see a tint, in sunlight, but not much. You can mostly see them on highlighted/bleached hair.

It also depends on the name brand that you'll use. Some will stain better than others. I like Adore. This product shows up on almost any hair color.

HairQueen said:
Is Clairol Beautiful Collection one that you mix? Does anybody know? What about Sebastian colourshines which I keep hearing everybody rave about is that one u mix? Does that show up? :confused:

I just want a colour that shows up but that does no damage to my hair.

Sebastian Cooushines will only leave a light and I mean light tint and definitely won't show up on dark hair.

i didnt think the semis would work but then i tried ColourSmart and i got what i wanted RED lol. heres the pics...

it was really red at the start...
brightred-th.jpg

Photo0766-th.jpg

now its been a few months since i last dyed it (before december) so its more like a light brown no the ends because its growning out.

brownfro-th.jpg

hth
x

Echoing what everybody else said.... Isn't a semi-permanent like a rinse? I used to get blue-black rinses so I would get like a dark blue something in the light.... I'm thinking that you gotta lift the color off the hair and then put the semi on it to get a change in the color....

naturaline said:
i didnt think the semis would work but then i tried ColourSmart and i got what i wanted RED lol. heres the pics...

it was really red at the start...
brightred-th.jpg

Photo0766-th.jpg

now its been a few months since i last dyed it (before december) so its more like a light brown no the ends because its growning out.

brownfro-th.jpg

hth
x

Wow! I can really see the colour on that. I have never heard of ColourSmart I wonder if it sold here in the UK, I will have to check that out. Is it one that you mixed or simply just a rinse?

Also my hair is relaxed but yours is natural maybe that could make a difference I'm not sure.

RelaxerRehab said:
Echoing what everybody else said.... Isn't a semi-permanent like a rinse? I used to get blue-black rinses so I would get like a dark blue something in the light.... I'm thinking that you gotta lift the color off the hair and then put the semi on it to get a change in the color....

Yes I think that probably is true about the lifting and then applying the colour.

The feeling I'm getting is the better the colour shows up on dark hair, the more damaging it will be to the hair. What I am thinking is that surley there must some that are less damaging than others but that still show the colour on black hair.

Okay so maybe I will have to suffer a lil damage but only a teeny weeny bit as I am not prepared to sacrifice my hard work lol!

Hmn, maybe I should try a demi-permanent I have heard of this but again I do not know how damaging they are or if they show up on black hair.

Anyone know?:look:

thank you!!!
i live in the uk too. i got it from superdrug. i think it may be what the goth kids use but i chose it because the box says it wioll show up on indian, afro black hair and any hair in general. it worked well for me i was very suprised when i washed it out because it was SO visible but know its carmed down. i think it just depend on how lonjg you leave it on.

yes you have to mix to a paste. its easy to do and DIDNT damage my hair in any way. i do feel it did very sligtly loosend my curl pattern.

i would love to do my whole head but i wouldnt leave it one too long . saying that im not brave enougth so i dont think ill do it all LOL.

naturaline said:
thank you!!!
i live in the uk too. i got it from superdrug. i think it may be what the goth kids use but i chose it because the box says it wioll show up on indian, afro black hair and any hair in general. it worked well for me i was very suprised when i washed it out because it was SO visible but know its carmed down. i think it just depend on how lonjg you leave it on.

yes you have to mix to a paste. its easy to do and DIDNT damage my hair in any way. i do feel it did very sligtly loosend my curl pattern.

i would love to do my whole head but i wouldnt leave it one too long . saying that im not brave enougth so i dont think ill do it all LOL.

Woweee at last there maybe hope! I am so going to superdrug tomorrow!!

I need to check the box for ingredients - amonia and peroxide though because like I mentioned my hair is chemically relaxed whereas yours isn't so I gotta be more careful!

Thanks girlie that was very informative! :)

HairQueen said:
Oh I see! I thought it was too good to be true! ha! ha!

Thanks very much for posting the link for me.

By the way what do AFAIK & ETA mean?:confused:

Sorry, I was typing lazily :lol:

ETA = Edited to Add

AFAIK = As Far As I Know

yeh i shoulda added that! *smiles* as i said it worked out for me- no damage. i conditioner my hair often and its in good con.

hth

HairQueen,
I have very dark brown(but not a true black hair), and I got Sebastian Colourshines on my hair, and the results are not dramatic but quite noticeable in both natural and artifical light. They also look great if you have gray hair mixed in with your hair (but I wouldn't recommend it if your gray is concentrated around your temples). The result will look like true highlights. But I think that if your hair is anything less than a true black, you might like the "tint" you get from the Sebastians Red family, or maybe the mahogany.

My hair is dark/medium brown, so some of the colors show a bit different on my hair I like using demi colors because its not a lot of color, just a highlight. My personal favorite right now is voilet because I get a kind of purple highlight. Garnet gives me a dark red highlight which is also nice. If I use dark brown though, my hair looks black.

-A

Back