Do relaxers work better for people with coarser hair?

The kinkier the hair, the better it relaxes?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think it depends on the person's expectations of what a relaxer will and will not do. My hair is thick, coarse (not the coarsest coarse), and very difficult to detangle without a relaxer. I've never had straight hair from a relaxer and always just assumed it wasn't possible. It wasn't until I came to this site that I became aware that people expected their hair to be absolutely straight after a relaxer. I really don't mean for this to sound judgemental or critical, but I've noticed that the people who expected their hair to come out the straightest straight possible are the same people who seem to be natural because relaxers and their hair don't mix. I think that if they lowered their expectation of how straight their hair can be with a relaxer, they would have more success. But, this is just a guess based on my experience with relaxers, other people's experiences may be completely different. Of course, they're probably happy as clams that they don't use relaxers anymore and are loving being natural.

I've also noticed that relaxers seem to be "designed" for the 4 hairtype rather than the 3s. I don't know many people with type 3 hair who had a lot of success with relaxers.

Back