Do I need protein? If not..NEVER again!

BrockStar

I did a protein treatment and my hair looks crazy. No curl definition in the middle without manipulation...I'm a little upset. Any suggestions on what I can do? Is there something I missed? I used Aphogee and followed every step of the directions, then I DC'ed...It's so bad that I did a wash n go this morning and ended up having to pull it up in a puff b/c it looks so crazy...HELP!!!

This is just my observations after looking at some naturals and from Motowngirl.com :

If you're natural and don't use heat everyday, you do not need anything made by Aphogee at all. In fact, you don't even need to do protein treatments. You can use stuff like mayo, eggs, yogurt, or conditioners with a little protein but you do not need anything hardcore because you're not chemically processed and don't use heat much.

Your hair is fine. Ditch the protein treatments.

Thanks Anky. Any advice from anyone about the newfound craziness and lack of curls? Lol maybe ya'll need to see this hot mess and you'll post with help...:lachen:

i was gonna say. next time use egg. i use egg and jojoba for my protein treatment and it leaves my strong but soft. and its not hard like aphogee. using too much protein left my hair a mess before too, but egg works for me everytime now. just do dc with a moisturizing con (and maybe a little oil) and you should see your curl coming back

If you're natural and don't use heat everyday, you do not need anything made by Aphogee at all. In fact, you don't even need to do protein treatments. You can use stuff like mayo, eggs, yogurt, or conditioners with a little protein but you do not need anything hardcore because you're not chemically processed and don't use heat much.

See this is what confuses me :perplexed...i went to a dominican salon the other day to get a blow out and flat iron...mind you this is the first time i've been to the salon in almost a year, and basically the first time i'm using direct heat like that in almost a year and before that, almost no direct high heat at all.

Before wrapping my hair she said my ends were not healthy and i needed Aphogee...that was the first time i ever heard someone tell me my hair wasn't healthy, but it can be quite dry so i said ok...

Bout A week and a half later i went to another salonfor a blow out(not dominican, the 1 i went to first was closed).

she washed my hair but she said i didnt need to sit under the dryer w/ conditioner so she twisted my hair in sections and sat me under there:nono:. I thought something was weird but i thought, ok...maybe she knows what she's doing...

She then proceeded to blowdry on high heat pulling with a brush... my already dry hair straight:burning:then flatiron...all the while complaining of the brittleness of my ends...

She also stated that i need a protien treatment...i'm sure there right but if i've been natural for so long i dont understand how my ends got to this point:crying3:

Last edited:
My hair didn't like the Aphogee even when I was relaxed. I don't use it now that I'm natural. But you can always use a lighter protein. Like ORS Paks. Or a conditioner that contains protein. That should be enough. I don't think you need a hard core protein treatment.

NO way, that stuff is tooooooo strong. I would dc with a moisturizing conditioner mutiple times this week if u have time. My hair doesn't like heavy protein. I do however add a little of the aphogee leave-in condish to my moisturizer if my hair feels like it needs it. But that is only if I've been using heat often.

I'm natural and I do protein treatments once a month. I usually make my own; by combining honey, mayo , an egg and some natural oils to mask the mayo smell. Or I combine natural yogurt, banana, honey, and avocado.

The key is to only leave it in for a maximum of 30 minutes and never use heat. Just rap your head with a plastic cap or saran rap and chill until you have to rinse it out.

Hope that helps!:grin:

This is just my observations after looking at some naturals and from Motowngirl.com :

thanks for sharing this anky! I plan on doing protein treatments with mayo, eggs, and yogurt and see how that goes.

I'm natural and I do protein treatments once a month. I usually make my own; by combining honey, mayo , an egg and some natural oils to mask the mayo smell. Or I combine natural yogurt, banana, honey, and avocado.

The key is to only leave it in for a maximum of 30 minutes and never use heat. Just rap your head with a plastic cap or saran rap and chill until you have to rinse it out.

Hope that helps!:grin:

wow, you ladies are blessing me tonight. thanks for sharing this. :kissing4::notworthy

Ok thanks ya'll...anything corrective I can do? Or just prayer..haha

I think you just need a lot of moisturizing and you should be fine. I only use the ORS Paks (mixed with moisturizing con) for a deep con every couple of weeks or so. You better quit messing with OUR, I mean your curls:giggle:, no more hardcore protein for you missy.

Back