Do I have to B.C. before I planned???

Whimsy

I'm annoyed and a lil upset.:perplexed
I'm transitioning
I have about 8 months of new growth and the rest is texlaxed.
I cut my hair from BSL to my Shoulders.
Before the cut, I could wear my hair 'wash n go' because the length would weight down the newgrowth a bit and my hair would be big but curly.
Since the cut I've been wearing my hair flatironed, and yesterday tried a 'wash n go' for the first time.
I LOOKED A HOT MESS!!!
Big puffy crinkly roots and stringy ends :nono:
I tried a braidout today thinking that at least the hair's pattern would be uniform...no luck. I still have puffy top and blah ends, and for some reason, the ends aren't holding the braid pattern like they used to! :wallbash:

I was planning on waiting to BC until the end of the year (16 month total transition) but now I'm scared I'll either have to wear my hair straight all the time :( or have to BC much sooner than planned. I can't wear my hair in my usual curly style this summer! I'm kinda pissed and kinda freakin out.

PLEASE someone give me some suggestions of what can be done. :ohwell:

3 things to suggest...

- Use less product (oily) on the relaxed part and putting an end paper and roller on the end. That should help with the stringy ends.
- Make sure you hair is wet and not damp when beginning (spritz hair with water and gylcerin* as it dries to keep it moist
- Use a thicker product on the natural part of your hair (to weigh it down as it dries)

*not mandatory

Last edited:
I personally would go ahead and big chop. That happened to me. When stretching and such..my relaxed ends were UGLY... Chopped that off and have enjoyed my thick new growth ever since. Sure it was awkward seeing me with a TWA...but I know that it is only temporary.. because when My TWA turns into a fierce fro..it will be all worth it!:yep: atleast it will be for me!

HTH!

Last edited:
OMG!! I'm having the same exact problem, Whim. My braid outs are laughable because my ends are bone straight and are attached to super curly new growth. It looks so ridiculous that I typically either wear my hair up in a clip or flat ironed straight (nothing in between). Buuuuuuuut, I refuse to cut my hair before September (that will be an 18-month transition for me), so I had to think of something else to do in the mean time.

So just yesterday (talk about timing), I finally used the Curlformers that I bought last month. I used the biggest size (the extra long and wide ones) so that my curls would be loose. I'm telling you ... I am so impressed with this set, I may not even BC in September. :blush: That's how uniform my curl definition is (my year's worth of new growth is laying flat). Unfortunately, I didn't use any setting lotion when I did it yesterday, so my curls are starting to fall already (it's misty in Atlanta today). However, I'm going to try it again later this week and use diluted Lottabody to see if the curls will stay longer. I'm also going to use the skinnier Curlformers too for a tighter curl. These things are great and I'm glad I finally used them.

So you may want to give either the Curlformers or flexi-rods a try before you cut your hair way before your scheduled date.

Back