Do Hair butters moisturize? Clarification needed ladies.

Xavier

One thing that I learned very early on is that oils DO NOT moisturize; but instead work as sealants(sp). Does that go for butters such as cocoa, shea, and avocado? I just think of oils and butters as being in the same catergory, but I am always hearing about the moisturizing properties of these butter? Can butter be used solely for moisturizing purposes or should they be used after a cream or liquid moisturizer is applied to the hair. Thanks in advance for your responses ladies.

I have heard of people that "moisturize" with butters. And have wondered the same thing myself. IMO, I dont really think they moisturize, I think they are better for sealing. I have tried using a butter to moisturize my hair, and it didnt feel moisturized at all. I would rather be on the safe side and just use a water based moisturizer and then seal.

I'm sure others can chime in ...

I just washed my hair with some phyto samples that has "plant butters". My hair feels really good. I will probably look into buying something like this just to use a pea size with my leave in.

Yes, many Butters are for sealing, unless the ingredients say otherwise.
After moisturizing I seal not only my ends but I will use a little of the Mango Butter throughout my hair. If find on my hair if I wet only the ends all of the time, it is too moist and I end up with my ends being thin and see through or breaking because it has too much elasticity. So trying to find a nice balance is the key. This will much depend on how dry the hair is. I hope this was helpful. :)

I love butters, avocado, hemp seed, nutmeg, pure mango buter.... but I use them for sealing. First I apply leave in conditioner or a misting of water and then I smooth on the butter.

I use butters on wet hair. So I guess I am sealing in moisture.

It's a good question. I'm not really sure, but I know certain butters feel better in my hair than others.

Keen said:
I just washed my hair with some phyto samples that has "plant butters". My hair feels really good. I will probably look into buying something like this just to use a pea size with my leave in.

You have Phyto samples?!?! Please tell me, where oh where did you get them?

Back