Do broke folk get pre-nups?

Perfexion

Just curious. My best friend and I are both nurses and we keep finding ourselves with men who earn less money than we do. My best friend recently talked to a guy who said to her, "Oh you're a nurse? That means you got money, huh?" We were jokingly discussing pre-nups, but I was wondering if regular middle class people get pre nups or is that a rich people thing? Does that just sound selfish? Side note: I don't know who spread this horrible rumor that nurses have money because I sure the hell do not!!!!

Broke is relative so yes.

You have never said a more truer statement. Met a dude yesterday who asked me questions like...

What side of town do you live?
You rent or own?

The whole time I was thinking :nono::nono::nono::nono::nono:

Seeing this thread - yeah I would get a pre-nup if I was in my situation and I was in love with someone who was in dude from yesterday's situation.

He parked cars for a living. Paying rent. 45+ years old.

If you own something substantial like a house, retirement plan or mattress full of cash, etc. prior to marriage you probably need a prenup.

If both of you are pretty much on the living paycheck to paycheck plan, not so much. Anything you acquire during the marriage will be considered community property, unless you do a post-nuptial agreement. I've only heard of this coming up in real life twice. The first was a parent knew she was terminal and requested her daughter get a post-nup so that in the event of a divorce the house would stay with her child. The husband signed it. The other were a couple of drunks who eloped in Vegas at the spur of the moment and when the hangover was over they agreed to have papers drawn up. LOL.

Back