Do braids and weaves thin long hair??

caralexis2005

Hi everyone,
I am thisclose to brastrap but I am feeling that "new hairstyle" itch so I want cornrows or a sewn in weave. Really a sewn in weave for the fall and winter. Would this thin my hair with the cornrows having tracks sewn on them?
I just want to be able to wear hair that looks like mine but without the worry when i wear it out and can do different stuff with it. Any advice or suggestions are appreciated.

thanks
caralexis

Not that I've noticed. I wear braids all the time and my hair is as thick as always. Just make sure whoever does your cornrows or weave doesn't braid your hair too tight or s/he could pull it out. They just need to be firm not tight. And if you get braids with extensions (esp singles), make sure that the hair they attach to each section is less than that section of your hair, so that the weight of the extensions doesn't overwhelm your hair.

I just went through this very same issue. Last march I just kind of got frustrated with my hair, I had trimmed one side cut a little too much (I was going for the Jennifer Anniston layer thing)Well I was smart enogh to STOP and not try to 'fix' it or do the other side.But I was annoyed w/myself and didn't want to look at it. I have had plenty of weaves and they worked to grow my hair out. But I hadn't had one since I got to b/s length. Well, I got the sew-in kind--a full weave. Normally I keep my weaves for at least 3 months(yes I do!!) But I couldn't stand this one: I missed my own hair so much, I was worried about damaging my fragile ends (and ruining the length) so after 6 weeks I took it out. I don;t think it damaged my length, but I wouldn't do another weave, unless I had a serious set back and needed it for growth. So finally, my suggestion is to NOT weave or braid it. You have come this far and your end are at least 2-3 years old and it might damage them.

[ QUOTE ]
Not that I've noticed. I wear braids all the time and my hair is as thick as always. Just make sure whoever does your cornrows or weave doesn't braid your hair too tight or s/he could pull it out. They just need to be firm not tight. And if you get braids with extensions (esp singles), make sure that the hair they attach to each section is less than that section of your hair, so that the weight of the extensions doesn't overwhelm your hair.

[/ QUOTE ]
ITA!

Yeah, like I said, unless my hair breaks off and I need to weave---I think I'm done.
I think that my ends are fragile and that a weave at this point would be a setback.

Would anyone here say that the weaving process itself(running the thread through the cornrows to connect the tracks) is damaging. I had a friend tell me that the courseness of the thread breaks you hair as it is sewn to (pulled thru) the hair

The one time I had a weave in, I had major success with it as far as growth, no thinning whatsoever.

But the first time I had braids in, I left them in for 3 months, and when it was time to take them out, I lost a ton of hair because it had knotted and tangled so badly.

The second time, I did my own braids. I kept them in for 3 weeks, and during take-out, I noticed that I had some clumps at the root again. Lesson learned: never use heavy products on scalp when wearing braids or that stuff will clump and cause you some hairloss, if you can't get it to detangle without losing your patience.
wallbash.gif

Back