Do any of you ladies agree with Shima about hair can't grow with weaves?

I don't believe she's giving out the wrong info. I just think that maybe in the past she may have had a bad experience causing her to warn other people. If you want a weave go ahead and get one, you'll never know if it works for you if you don't try it.

It is not really the weave itself, but how it is put in and cared for. Your hair might be fine with sew-ins but not glue. Your hair might not prefer the braids. Your hair might be too fine for the weight of the weave. etc. etc. etc. There can be so many reasons a weave can damage your hair.

I personally am scared to death to try one because my fine strands break if the wind blows on them and tends to knot and mat after two weeks in braids.:wallbash: My sister on the other hand has thicker strands and her hair can take just about anything. She uses weaves as a fashion accessory and her natural hair could easily grow to WL - she purposely keeps it at APL so it will not look puffy under her weaves. :lachen:

It really depends on you, your hair, and your stylist. Either way, your hair will grow - it is how much you keep that is the challenge.

Last edited:
ETA: By the name token, Reniece has proved that weaves work for some ladies, herself included. Again it depends on the person. Growth isn't the main issue, retention is.

Absolutely. Everyone's hair grows, just at a different rate. Keeping that hair is the challenge.

Nope, I'm growing & retaining my hair just fine with weaves. It really depends on how you take care of your hair with your install.

Besides, I feel Shima has a grudge against weaves because a lot of people believe her hair is a weave and thinks if she somehow eradicates the use of weave, that she won't have to keep proving her hair is real.

Hair will always grow, barring health issues, etc., but it's really all about retention. Saying hair can't grow with weaves is a stretch.

I respect her crusade, but claiming that a protective style that's proven to work for many doesn't work at all, seems a bit misinformed to me.

Last edited:
i don't know why a shima thread was created....these threads never stay open. and no i don't agree w/ her. what works for some may not work for all, she would know that had she opened up a lhcf accout...or actually used it if she does have one. but ignorance is bliss. some folks may know it and just refuse to accept it.

and yes, divad04 was here in 2010. where's the popcorn stand?

I know a lot of women who have grown their hair beautifully and healthy with a sew in. About 5 years ago, I grew my hair past shoulder lengths with a sew in. I moisturized my hair every other day and pooed every 2 weeks. I kept my weave in for 6-8 weeks.

Glue weaves will not grow your hair though. You cant moisturize like you want to for fear of loosening the glue. You cant poo your hair without the hair coming out. And when you take down a glue weave your, the glue can take your hair with it. :nono:

As long as the braids are not too tight, you should be okay. People grow out their hair with cornrows. The only difference is hair is sewn to the cornrows.

Do your research to care for your sew in and go for it.

Thanks BMP and preach it gurl. Honestly as much as I love Shima and find her entertaining (for all the wrong reasons mind you) I think we are all well informed and intelligent women (thanks LHCF) and should know how to wear a weave to achieve growth. Like someone said earlier its like wearing cornrows long term with hair attached. Now providing those cornrows are not too tight, the hair not too heavy and the hair is washed every 10 - 14 days and moisturised 3 to 4 times a week - guess what you are onto a winner...

stellagirl, I was *just* about to post Pamera's fotki...and ya know what? Its worth posting twice. This girl grew her hair with weaves you be the judge:

Pamera's Full Head Weave

Pamera's Real Hair in a Fro

Pamera's Real Hair Flat Ironed:lick:(these pix are from June so who knows where she's at now:love2:)

Comparison Growth Pix with Weaves:

Starting pic from 07 vs Recent Pic from this yr

A picture is worth a 1000 words:yep:

ETA: By the name token, Reniece has proved that weaves work for some ladies, herself included. Again it depends on the person. Growth isn't the main issue, retention is.

The bolded is so true. My ends need to be moisturized at all times in order to stay healthy so weaves aren't for me.

Nope, I'm growing & retaining my hair just fine with weaves. It really depends on how you take care of your hair with your install.

Besides, I feel Shima has a grudge against weaves because a lot of people believe her hair is a weave and thinks if she somehow eradicates the use of weave, that she won't have to keep proving her hair is real.

Hair will always grow, barring health issues, etc., but it's really all about retention. Saying hair can't grow with weaves is a stretch.

I respect her crusade, but claiming that a protective style that's proven to work for many doesn't work at all, seems a bit misinformed to me.
Everything. Especially the bolded

If you watch all her videos..(don't ask) She does make some points. I think one of her main problems is that too many women are addictive to weaves, the amount of effort and money people put into weaves they could have put into growing their own hair... the message gets lost because its far toooo one sided.

The amount of effort SHE puts into bashing weaves she could have spent finding if weaves actually "stunt" growth

If you watch all her videos..(don't ask) She does make some points. I think one of her main problems is that too many women are addictive to weaves, the amount of effort and money people put into weaves they could have put into growing their own hair... the message gets lost because its far toooo one sided.

The amount of effort SHE puts into bashing weaves she could have spent finding if weaves actually "stunt" growth

I think she may have some good points too. I've only watched a few of her video. Shes not totally stupid and she shown that. She gotten some people to follow her and I assume she making money with her product.

I don't think hair grows to it's optimum potential w/ weaves. It may grow long but it seems to thin out and/or cost too many edges. The margin for error on weaves is quite low...too many things can and do go wrong for too many people (ie unintention dreads, breakage, etc). IOW, I have some agreement w/ Shima on this matter :yep:

Last edited:
My hair grew with a sew-in. I kept my roots moisturized with S-curl. Didn't keep it up though but it worked for me.

I don't agree with that statement, I transitioned with the help of weaves and If I'm honest I didn't do anything to my hair underneath until I was ready to take it out and I wore for 4-5weeks, my hair had never been healthier.

As we already know everyone's hair reacts differently to one thing or another, I'm sure there are people out there who's hair doesn't like weave, but that's not to say weave prevents growth

I feel that you can grow hair with weave, but the important thing is to learn how to take care of your real hair underneath. I had this friend who constantly wear weave to grow her hair out, but once she took out the weave she didn't know how to take care of her real hair and it would break off, so she's put in weave again to grow it back out:nono:

If she's taken care of her real hair she would have retained her lenght:ohwell:

This is the most common misconception that people from my Country have. They believe that weave make hair grow. That's not the case because hair grows! that's what it does. Yes, the hair does seem longer when the weave is taken out but after a few months, it breaks. That's because most people don't know how to maintain their growing hair. I say, u have to learn hair education in order to wear weave and keep the hair. My hair grows just fine without it lol. I wish they knew that too.

shima is a dumbass so no i cannot agree with her.
:blush::blush::lachen:

I've never worn a weave and doubt I ever will---just because the installation always seemed too...what's the word...complicated? At least too complicated for me..I'm a 100% DIYer and if it's something I couldn't do (and weaves are one of them) I tend to stay away from it.

However, I wouldn't say that retaining length and maintaining health are impossible with weaves and can't shoot down the idea. It's an individual thing. If installation, maintenance, and take down is done properly and the duration of wear is appropriate the outcome probably looks pretty good. Look at Tiffany "New York" Pollard's real hair for example :spinning:. You can't say that girl doesn't have any hair because of perpetual weave.

For whatever reason(s) outside of what the person can control (e.g. moisturizing regularly), if the real hair disagrees with the weave hair or the responsibility is not compatible with the person wearing the weave, then it needs to be taken out or not attempted at all in my opinion.

shima is a dumbass so no i cannot agree with her.

Even a DA can make a point sometimes. I think fine hair ladies have to be the most careful with weaves. IMO whether or not a weave is successful depends on who is installing it. If someone makes tiny braids and rips your hair out putting the extensions in.... well you can guess the conclusion.

Nope, don't agree with that at all.

A properly applied and cared for weave can be really beneficial in growth retention.

I don't think hair grows to it's optimum potential w/ weaves. It may grow long but it seems to thin out and/or cost too many edges. The margin for error on weaves is quite low...too many things can and do go wrong for too many people (ie unintention dreads, breakage, etc). IOW, I have some agreement w/ Shima on this matter :yep:

Good point. A lot of women I see who wear weave most of the time may have long hair, but their ends are thin and raggedy looking. Reneece is one of the first consistent weave wearers I've seen have long AND healthy looking hair.

I think she may have some good points too. I've only watched a few of her video. Shes not totally stupid and she shown that. She gotten some people to follow her and I assume she making money with her product.

I give her kudos for sharing and hustling. However everytime I hear her, I think, "There she goes recruiting for Shima's short bus again." :rofl: I know, I know. Bad. But in her case, silence would be golden.

Nichi is another lhcfer who has grown her hair
with the help of weaves. Her hair is lovely.

aww thanks.
I really do believe knowledge of hair care is important because if I didn't know better, I think my hair wouldn't thrive as much even though my stylist does a great job. With that said, it's up to the owner of the head to take care of their own hair. I think the issue is that most people that wear weave don't maintain their hair underneath, causing damage, & therefore leading to the assumption that all weaves are the culprit. Hair not taken care of in any situation, protective style or not, could become damaged.

I'll honestly say when I began wearing weaves, I retained more hair than when I just bunned & no my hair didn't become thin and damaged. Not everyone's hair weakens. I take breaks in between weaves and I do fine.

I just feel that when it comes to hair care it doesn't make great sense to believe there's a be all end-all. Lots of different techniques work for some and doesn't for others. Because Shima claims that weave i hurting everyone's head of hair doesn't make it fact, it's really just an opinion and same goes for those in this thread who agree, it's an opinion. We've seen differently. Regardless, with whatever people decide to do to their hair, they should do research first.

Last edited:
look op, i think your just going to have to form your own opinion and not ask anyone on this board about shima videos. just find out for yourself and learn how your own hair reacts to certain things. if you agree with what shima is saying then that is just fine, but i wouldnt come on this board and ask any of these ladies about shima. i agree with most of the things she says about hair and i think she is ok. but you have to try things out yourself.

I agree with her because I don't think I could ever do it right.

I just think it takes a lot of talent to do it right, and most people don't have the knowledge to do it correctly. IME, a weave will make a thick haired girl's hair thin or thinner than it was, and will take a thin/fine haired girl into able-to-see-the-scalp territory.

When it's done right, it works. But most people (outside of LHCF) don't do it right.

Like most of the ladies said, it's all about how you take care of your hair underneath. I get sew-ins all the time and my hair grows so much compared to if I just have my hair in twist or whatever. I've attached a close up picture of my new growth after taking out my sew-in. You can clearly tell the difference because I colored my hair right before I got my sew in and I had my sew in for 2 months.

Attachments

• n29625946_37400744_6239.jpg
    n29625946_37400744_6239.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 25
I know from using weaves that your hair can grow. I agree that you have to take care of your hair, the same way you would do if you are not wearing a weave.

Back