Do any 4a,b,cs wash and go??

Louisex3

Wanna do it but i'm scuurreddd!
Since i've started my HHJ i wash in 5/6 cornrows.

If you do wash n go how do you stop your hair getting tangled?
And what's your regi?

Thanks in advance x

I am a type 4 and I wash and go without tangles. When I first started my healthy hair journey I would get massive SSK's, and tangles from wearing my hair out. Once I started trimming frequently, along with hair cuts, and GHE it works just fine. No more SSK's or tangles than a twist out. I have done 5 day hair without a problem right after a haircut. In fact, I wore a wash n go for Easter.

I'm type 4 and I wash and go with noooo problem. My breakthrough was tossing the cones, mineral oils, petrulatums... anything that is not water soluble. I remember when I first did wash-n-goes I would detangle with a shower comb but now I no longer need to do that every day, only every now and then. I leave conditioner in my hair and that seems to prevent ssk's. I haven't been having them lately and I had them a lot when I first started. HTH :grin:

I might be a strange case but after all the experimenting in the world I found that keeping it simple is really what I need. I always wash-n-go in the shower in the morning because it gets my roots wet and stop my hair from being too frizzy... BTW when I w-n-go I almost always wear my hair in a puff on top of my head, not sure that counts, but its too short for me to wear out or I feel self-conscience. :(

Anyways, while I'm in the shower I wet my hair until it's soaking, finger comb, apply conditioner, leave it in while I wash, rinse it out towards then end of the shower. Then I take a palm of it and spread it back through my hair while it's still soaking wet (this reduces frizz). I get out the shower and wring it out/pluck/tease it with my hands, then style it with my fingers or a boar-hair brush if I want it to be really smooth.

Humm, I have a tight kink in my hair so I use a modified curly girl. I alway prepoo with either oil or an onion mask. I use dandruff shampoo, and then co-wash. I may use a deep condtioner as a leave in and then LOC or just LOC.

I do my wash n go on damp not wet hair that was detangled and braided in the tub. I smooth big or medium size chunks with my fingers depending upon whether I want a separated or bob look.

I did it once and it came out lovely, but it's too time-consuming to make it a regular style. It also left my hair feeling dry and hard.

my sister is a 4a/b and she wears a wash and go daily. her hair is shoulder length when blown out. she sleeps with her hair in a scarf. then washes with unkle funky shampoo and conditioner in the morning. and uses one of unkle funky leave ins with a little eco styler gel. she uses rich and funky shampoo, richee rich conditioner and curly magic leave in.

she does this every day rain or shine. i just got her to start picking her hair out once or twice a month and deep conditioning with ORS Mayo. she never complained about ssk's once she switched to the UF products from the cheap shampoo and drug store conditioner she was using before....i forget the name of the product but it left her hair hard and dry.

Nope. I'm a 4a/3c but I can't do them because my roots tangle SO much! I think I might not be using enough conditioner but when I use too much my hair stays wet for the next two days. Sigh.

I'm going to work on it this summer while searching for my perfect leave-in and gel.

I do. I haven't in a while, but will do more again in the summer.

Key for me is applying product in sections so it can get to every part of my hair, including my roots; sealing my ends with a heavy butter or oil to prevent tangling and SSK; and using a gel to hold the coils/curls in place and prevent tangling.

I keep my wash and gos for about two days and I prefer to do it at night and put it in a loose a satin ponytail to stretch it overnight.

When i was 100% natural I idnt have problems with ssk when I wash and wore my hair. I would apply product in sections, rake it and then smooth in instead of slapping it on and going. I like foamy conditioners that don't leave my hair with an ashy residue. Conditioners that foam up in my hair act almost like a gel/mousse, keeping the curls defined and separated but without the crunch or stickiness.

The only think I did not like about wash n goes that that my hair would never dry until the end of the day and I hate walking around with a wet head of hair.

I'm 4a and only 3-4 inches long, my success with wash and go might be related to my statistics but I intend to continue and see how my hair fares as it grows longer.
I have been doing daily wash and go for 3months, I use aubrey organics GPB, honey suckle conditioner or elunence conditioner to cowash. I shampoo once a week with a non sulphate conditioner. My leave in is giovanni direct leave in, ecostyler gel generously applied over it.
I think the gel is responsible for keeping away SSK, it keeps several strands clumped and elongated..... this is my second time natural, before using ecostyler I had so much SSK and couldn't keep wash and go.
I pull my hair back with a hair band, careful not to pull the edges too much, I think my retention [with slow growth rate] has improved in the last months.

You should look up Naptural85 on Youtube. She washes-and-go quite well. When I do it I have to rewet my hair hair every day or every other day or I get tangles and knots.

Wanna do it but i'm scuurreddd!
Since i've started my HHJ i wash in 5/6 cornrows.

If you do wash n go how do you stop your hair getting tangled?
And what's your regi?

Thanks in advance x

Yes. The wash and go is my 'goto' style. I can't twist due to impatience when it is time

to untwist the ends and paranoia about 'pulling' in the crown.

My techniques have improved VASTLY and i think the more i practice the better I will get

with tangles.

My tangles are inevitable but with patience and decent product slip and more patience the

detangling is really becoming a breeze.

I am lazy, so that may help in my case.

I do most of my work BEFORE the actual shake and go. The TOTAL SATURATION with LOTS of *conditioner*, the

sectioning, *combing through each section* with *GOBS of conditioner*, detangling then

rinsing...then *SPRAYING* ^[in abundance]^ and going. sans any application that

involves raking through. I have hand in fro like crazy once it dries, but i can't deal

with 'styling' my wet hair.

I would have to say **my conditioner usage DEFINITELY substitutes as a styler/stylers**.

I just don't like doing anything to my hair after rinsing - only spraying all over, side to side,

in the back, etc.

Happy Growing.

Last edited:
Right, sorry ladies, it seemed like i just ducked out of the thread but I'm back!

Thanks for all your replies, still a bit scared, I'm scared my hair will tangle and matt in such a way that it'll end up being a set-back!

But I might give it a go! If I do i'll report back with how it goes

I wash n go occasionally. When you're done with the wash n go and you're ready to rewash and change up the style you just have to be careful with detanging. Once I'm done with the wash n go I soak my hair with water then soak it with condish, then section it after DCing and detangle after your hair has had a chance to absorb the DC

ETA you can't stop 4b/c hair from tangling with wash n goes, you just have to figure out how to detangle without much breakage from combing out the tangles once you're done with the wash n go

I WNG all the time. I use a leave in and a gel like curly magic, eco styler, or KCCC. I've done conditioner only too, but I couldn't get more than one day out of that method so I prefer gel. My WNGs work best on soaking wet hair, but that takes so long to dry. One trick I've found that works around that for me is doing it in the early evening and then pineappleing my hair overnight. When I wake up it's dry and ready to go. I have kept a WNG in for up to 7 days, but prefer to redo after 3 days.

When I was natural I did wash and gos everyday in the summer. My hair loved it! I conditioner washed with Aussie Moist conditioner then I used Talih Wahid leavin then the curl sealer.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 53
i am 4a. when i was natural, i was able to do wash n gos up until i hit 5-6 inches.

i would use Fantasia IC Gel and Ecostyler gel if i wanted a firm hold. if i just wanted a more softer hold, i would use Kid's Organic Shea Butter Detangling lotion.

i would wash and go daily. if you don't like going out with a damp head, use a diffuser.

for those that wash and go multiple days, how do you preserve the style? If I try pineappling i get left with a mullet because the back stretches so much and if i do a low pony the front stretches too much and I lose too much definition. Just leaving it as is causes mats and tangles. As such i can't go more than two days with a wash and go so I don't know how people can do 5+ and still make it look good.

Of course we do. My sig is a recent wash and go. My biggest tip is to wash in at least four or five sections if your hair is thick. And by wash i mean cowash.

Sent from the corner pay phone

for those that wash and go multiple days, how do you preserve the style? If I try pineappling i get left with a mullet because the back stretches so much and if i do a low pony the front stretches too much and I lose too much definition. Just leaving it as is causes mats and tangles. As such i can't go more than two days with a wash and go so I don't know how people can do 5+ and still make it look good.

Fhrizzball

Try hanging you hair back and tying a silk scarf around it instead of a low puff (don't tie it too tight). Or, do a low puff, but leave the front parts out and then a silk scarf on top. That's what I used to do before my hair was long enough to pineapple.

Back