Do all Coconut Oil brands have those little white bits in it?

Smiley79

I'm coming to the end of my coconut oil container :sad: and although I absolutely LOVE it for both my hair and skin, I do get terribly annoyed with the little white bits that are in it. I had purchased the Nutiva Brand Coconut Oil. Since this was my first time ever purchasing coconut oil, I'd like to know is this typical of all brands or is there one that is just straight oil without all those white bits in it. It looks like snow fell in my hair or my skin when I apply it. :lachen: Thanks in advance for any feedback or brand suggestions.

Wow. Never heard of that my coconut oil melts in my hands no residue no freezing in cold weather, just melts right into my hair. This is what I use:

pGNC1-2331712nm.jpg

Its the Emerald Labs Extra Virgin Organic Coconut oil:lick:

Wow, is it just me? :( I think I need to take a pic and post it. Ok, when I open the jar it's solid and soon as it touches my body temperature it melts obviously but there all the little while bits (like if you grated coconuts finely). That's what I do not like.

BMP, where can I find the Emerald Labs brand?

Yeah, I just purchased some and no white bits. Are you letting it melt a bit before applying it to your hair?

Well even when I sit in warm water to melt, the white bits are very evident. I feel so silly now...could I have been using the wrong one all along. This is the brand that I've been using:
I really like it alot...makes my skin feel like silk too!

No, it's not just you. I had the same issue - actually I was thinking it was just me:blush:. It happened the same way, when I got to the end of it, I started to see the bits. I ended up throwing it out becuase even when I warmed it and it liquified, the bits would return after I put it on my hair, onced it cooled. I tried a new kind of Vitamin Shoppe that can be used for food and skin. Don't remember the name of it. I was going to open up a thread and ask the same question but just decided it might have been a fluke. I got the gritty one from Deans.
Wow, is it just me? :( I think I need to take a pic and post it. Ok, when I open the jar it's solid and soon as it touches my body temperature it melts obviously but there all the little while bits (like if you grated coconuts finely). That's what I do not like.

Wow. Never heard of that my coconut oil melts in my hands no residue no freezing in cold weather, just melts right into my hair. This is what I use:

pGNC1-2331712nm.jpg

This is the brand that I have. I have 2 tubs. One has the white bits and one doesn't so I think I have a bad tub. I have bought several tubs of this over the years and I have only experienced one tub with the white bits that pretty much don't dissolve well or at all.

You get it at GNC:yep:

All the brands of coconut oil i've ever had have had the "bits." I've used Nutiva, Spectrum Organics, the Whole Foods house brand, and a few others I can't remember.I've always believe it was due to the properties of unrefined coconut oil combined with cooler than room temp temperatures in my apartment.

Yes, they are deeply annoying and they scratch my face when I use it as a makeup remover. Like sipp100 said, they do melt but for me it takes rubbing between my hands for several seconds.

The only one that didn't was an unforturnate brand from Whole Foods--Jarrow-- that claimed it was virgin and never had the word "refined" anywhere on the package but seemed very much refined--clear and smooth like mineral oil, with no smell. Alos, the positively hellish no-name jars from the South Asian grocery that smell terrible, like someone took castor oil, car oil and doused them with coconut perfume--who are they trying to fool pretending it's "unrefined, extra-virgin coconut oil?"

As to the hardening and looking waxy and white in your hair, that's inevitable IMO if you use a lot of it and it is cold outside.

All the brands of coconut oil i've ever had have had the "bits." I've used Nutiva, Spectrum Organics, the Whole Foods house brand, and a few others I can't remember.I've always believe it was due to the properties of unrefined coconut oil combined with cooler than room temp temperatures in my apartment.

Yes, they are deeply annoying and they scratch my face when I use it as a makeup remover. Like sipp100 said, they do melt but for me it takes rubbing between my hands for several seconds.

The only one that didn't was an unforturnate brand from Whole Foods--Jarrow-- that claimed it was virgin and never had the word "refined" anywhere on the package but seemed very much refined--clear and smooth like mineral oil, with no smell. Alos, the positively hellish no-name jars from the South Asian grocery that smell terrible, like someone took castor oil, car oil and doused them with coconut perfume--who are they trying to fool pretending it's "unrefined, extra-virgin coconut oil?"

As to the hardening and looking waxy and white in your hair, that's inevitable IMO if you use a lot of it and it is cold outside.

This happened to me last week at the gas station. Guess I used too much.:ohwell:

I use the NOW brand Coconut Oil and it has the white bits in it as well. I have to rub extra to get it to dissolve and when I add it to my shea butter mixtures, I need to melt it first or it will come out gritty. So no it's not just you. Also you might want to change your oil of choice for the winter time from coconut oil to another light oil. The cold weather can cause coconut oil to solidfy and thus you get the white product look in your hair.

Yes, i failed to mention that...I do have to rub extra to get it all out, but I end up with white specs all over my floor as they fall off...lol, it's just a hot mess.

pGNC1-2331712nm.jpg

That is the brand i use too.
I get it from gnc for under 20 bucks. I take it and rub it in the palm of my hands and it melts like butter. No residual flakes in sight. Hth

I use Dabur Vatika Oil (has Amla, coconut oil, henna, lemon, cow's milk, and other Ayurvedic herbs). I have used it for quite a few years, and have never had any flakes or bits of coconut in it. It is solid at temps below about 75 degrees, but when I rub it in my hands, it completely liquifies. Also, I remove the top and nuke it for a few secs if I will be using a lot and can't get it out of the bottle! Depending on where you buy it, it goes for between $4.00 for a small (200-300ml) bottle or $7-10 for a 500ml big bottle. I have found 3 small bottles for under $20 with shipping at an online Asian food store in the past, but can't find the site now!

I use Dabur Vatika Oil (has Amla, coconut oil, henna, lemon, cow's milk, and other Ayurvedic herbs). I have used it for quite a few years, and have never had any flakes or bits of coconut in it. It is solid at temps below about 75 degrees, but when I rub it in my hands, it completely liquifies. Also, I remove the top and nuke it for a few secs if I will be using a lot and can't get it out of the bottle! Depending on where you buy it, it goes for between $4.00 for a small (200-300ml) bottle or $7-10 for a 500ml big bottle. I have found 3 small bottles for under $20 with shipping at an online Asian food store in the past, but can't find the site now!

I'm not sure how far away this is for you but they carry the small bottle of Vatika Oil here:
Triangle Indian Market
740 E Chatham Street
Cary, NC

It'll save you the cost of shipping.

I use Nutiva and I've used other brands that have little bits. I thought that was normal for coconut oil to do when it starts solidifying. I just rub it with my hands to melt it before I put it in my hair.

Ive seen it at the bottom of a container, of all brands. I know what your talking about, its after it's been sitting around for a while, I think it happens when it's melted and solidified again. It's actually normal, and usually doesnt happen till the very bottom of the container. They are a lil harder 'bits' but they do melt too , if not they fall off anyway hehe

Last edited:
I use Nutiva and I've used other brands that have little bits. I thought that was normal for coconut oil to do when it starts solidifying. I just rub it with my hands to melt it before I put it in my hair.
yeah it is normal and ALL coconut oil can do this

I purchase mine from a local african store and it gets the white bits in it. Usually if I let it liquidfy(sp?) and then go solid again. I usually rub it between my palms and they melt away.

I know what you mean by all kinds will solidify but if your talking about the little goopy white bits that never melt and taste like coconut and your oil has no preservatives and will go bad then that is the difference btw refined and unrefined. When it has white bits its has been messed with less and when it has an iridescence to it, it was made with fresh perhaps even young coconut. At least that is what the lady I buy mine from says. There is only a dollar difference btw the 2 at her booth so I think it is the truth. She is here 1/2 the year and has a booth with things she brings in from Africa and that is one of them. She says the white stuff one you can go see it made and make it yourself if you have the coconuts the ones without take machines and she wrinkled her nose. So I always buy the one with it. She seems a little old fashioned so it probably doesn't matter and its just a preference but she also seems wise so I'm not gonna chance it. :)

Last edited:
I use this one and I have white bits as well. I always thought it was because I wasn't letting it melt long enough in my hand. :ohwell: I still love this coconut oil though.

pGNC1-2331712nm.jpg

Emerald Labs Extra Virgin Organic Coconut oil from GNC

Back