DMV/Baltimore Ladies - Where do you get approached specifically?

lushcoils

For those of you ladies who live in the DMV or Baltimore area who get approached daily while you're out and about, where do these approaches typically occur? Is there a pattern on locations or is it just random for you?

If there is a pattern, ...can you give specific examples on where these occur?
On campus? ... which school?
On the street? Typically which streets?/neighborhoods do you usually get approached?
Which grocery stores? Malls, which ones?
On public transportation? Which ones?
Gas stations, which ones?
Gyms, which ones? (school gym, ymca..)
Libraries, bookstores, coffeeshops..(barnes and nobles, borders?)
Museums, which ones?
Restaurants, which ones?
Games.... Ravens? Redskins? Orioles? Wizards? Nats?
And other places I can't really think of now.

What kind of men? Mostly professional? Or thugs? Or somewhere in the middle? Are they usually young, old, or in your age group? Usually Attractive, average, or unattractive? Race? Are they usually dateable or un-dateable?

Do you usually give them signals to approach/flirt with them/spoke to them first? Or they usually approach you without any signals?

Please help,guys usually only approach me in bars, clubs, or parties (see the theme there? :lachen:). I'm trying to figure out if it's because if I'm not going to the exact right spots and that's the reason they don't approach me in non-alcoholic, dark, loud environments.

Good question. It happens everywhere for me. Grocery store, the malls, performance shows, on my way to work, etc. The guys are usually older, but I've been drawing younger guys as of late. It could be location as well.

Are you giving these guys signals/eye contact/smiling at them/saying hi first or are they approaching you out of the blue?

Do you live in the DMV area? If so, which malls, grocery stores, and streets/neighborhoods on your way to work are you referring to?

No, I'm not giving the guys signals. They come to me. Or maybe I am giving off signals unknowingly.

I live in the DMV. Areas where I find men interested in me - Georgetown, downtown, Pentagon City Mall, grocery shopping at Giant in Columbia Heights, shopping in Friendship Heights.

The men are undateable for several reasons - too old, too young, has kids, not attractive (I don't care about being shallow, dated enough unasethetic pleasing to eye men to know), not vibing. All have been black. Looks from Hispanic and Caucasian males, but they don't approach. College guys, professionals and scrubs. I am still waiting for professional black man who makes a lot more than I do, single and childless, funny and smart, Christian and handsome to approach.

I live in DC and my friend and I frequently go out and socialize hoping to make new friends. In my experience Id say the best places to go are lounges and bars where people are social, but the music isnt so loud that you cant get to know someone. Try the U street corridor and check out Next Door, Busboys N' Poets, or Marvins (popular rooftop during warmer months). Its kind of a hit and miss, but these places tend to attract black male professionals or the artsy types.

^^^
I moved from the DMV area last year, but I really did like Busboy N' Poets as well. Nice vibe...LOTS of really good looking men in there. They all looked mature and like they had some sense as well.

^^^
I moved from the DMV area last year, but I really did like Busboy N' Poets as well. Nice vibe...LOTS of really good looking men in there. They all looked mature and like they had some sense as well.

I see that you are in ATL now. What has your dating experience been like there versus the DMV? My friends swears she thinks this area is toxic for dating and that the likelihood that she will meet her husband her is small. Thoughts?

I live in DC and my friend and I frequently go out and socialize hoping to make new friends. In my experience Id say the best places to go are lounges and bars where people are social, but the music isnt so loud that you cant get to know someone. Try the U street corridor and check out Next Door, Busboys N' Poets, or Marvins (popular rooftop during warmer months). Its kind of a hit and miss, but these places tend to attract black male professionals or the artsy types.

I recently visited DC and my homegirl took me to the spots in this area, we kinda hopped around to different ones all night. it was mid-week so most of them were kinda low key. One of the spots tho was full (all the tables and the bar), so we didn't get to go there, I can't recall the name of it. But definitely decent crowds.

It seems like it would be super easy to meet men in DC but then again I'm outsider looking in so I could be wrong.

I recently visited DC and my homegirl took me to the spots in this area, we kinda hopped around to different ones all night. it was mid-week so most of them were kinda low key. One of the spots tho was full (all the tables and the bar), so we didn't get to go there, I can't recall the name of it. But definitely decent crowds.

It seems like it would be super easy to meet men in DC but then again I'm outsider looking in so I could be wrong.

Its relatively easily to meet men here, but its just meeting men of quality who are commitment/marriage minded. Women greatly outnumber the eligible men in DC and the men know it, so there is no rush for them to settle. Ive dated more men this year than ever, and the dude I ended up being in a relationship with was my ex, of aaall people. Big mistake, by the way. LOL

I don't live in the DC area anymore, but I grew up here and come back to see my family during the holidays.

The other ladies have listed most of the places that I would mention.

But my sister stays meeting people on the Metro.

Do you hang out on Howard U campus? There's a law school, a med school, a pharm school, a dentistry school there..... maybe their law/med libraries? I know they have a few coffee shops around there, I'm sure students have to get their study on...

Is their gym open to the public? Its fun to watch smart men get all hot and sweaty.

I see that you are in ATL now. What has your dating experience been like there versus the DMV? My friends swears she thinks this area is toxic for dating and that the likelihood that she will meet her husband her is small. Thoughts?

What dating experience? LMAO!!!

Just kidding. It's...ok. I haven't really gotten out that much. I lived in a suburb of Atlanta about 30 min away. I now live in Atlanta (still the suburban part). I haven't met a lot of people, yet...but I am definitely running into more men than I did in the DMV.

I've met a few guys who were ok, but a large majority of them want to play games because there are so many women here (at least that's what I've seen so far). There are some really good guys down here (have some friends who have tried to hook me up with a few), I just have yet to meet them yet. I would like to meet some guys who don't know my friends, though.

be wary of meeting guys in the gym, in this area. some of them are looking for each other. i'm a gym rat and usually stay til closing, depending on what time I arrive, so i get to observe a lot. not all, but some.

Always black guys

At CVS-Baltimore City-undateable

At the YMCA-Baltimore City-dateable

On the streets while hanging out their window-undateable (so the location doesn't matter lol)

On the Metro (the city to the county--like Owings Mills)-mix of dateable &undateable

Towson mall (all the freakin time)-dateable...if you're in high school. They're usually nice guys, just young as crap...and I look like I'm 17 so...yea.

More white guys than black guys, but still black guys

Downtown/the Harbor:

"XS"--it's a restaurant. Dateable--usually me and my friends go in a group and there are always groups of eligable bachelors there willing to chat it up.

Barnes&Noble--dateable. Go into an aisle where you see a guy that's cute, pick up a book, pretend like you're reading it, and ask him for suggestions...be interesting...works like a charm lol.

Also the B&N near Johns Hopkins campus (which is also kind near the YMCA that I mentioned).

Panera Bread--dateable

Columbia mall-mix of undateble and dateable

Ummm...I can't think of any more specific places. I would name specific streets, but I don't respond to 'hollas'...and I don't think anyone should lol

Good luck dear!

I don't live in the DC area anymore, but I grew up here and come back to see my family during the holidays.

The other ladies have listed most of the places that I would mention.

But my sister stays meeting people on the Metro.

Do you hang out on Howard U campus? There's a law school, a med school, a pharm school, a dentistry school there..... maybe their law/med libraries? I know they have a few coffee shops around there, I'm sure students have to get their study on...

Is their gym open to the public? Its fun to watch smart men get all hot and sweaty.

I've never been on Howard's campus. Why does everyone suggest to visit Howard to meet men? Is that the only school in the DMV to meet men? And isn't the men to female ratio like 1:7 on HBCUs? :lol: And I've heard most of the women walk around like it's a fashion show 24/7 and the area isn't so nice when I drove by it.

How does your sister meet sane/clean/professional/friendly people on the metro? Does she start up conversations with them first? Or do they start up converstations with her?

Taking notes as I've only been here for a little over a year. I just visited the Buddha Bar on Saturday and I really liked the crowd there.

You can't go wrong with the places on U street, I usually get approached a lot at The Park 14 during their happy hour on Thursday. Oh and the T.G.I Fridays in the suburban areas of the DMV.

Always black guys

At CVS-Baltimore City-undateable

At the YMCA-Baltimore City-dateable

On the streets while hanging out their window-undateable (so the location doesn't matter lol)

On the Metro (the city to the county--like Owings Mills)-mix of dateable &undateable

Towson mall (all the freakin time)-dateable...if you're in high school. They're usually nice guys, just young as crap...and I look like I'm 17 so...yea.

More white guys than black guys, but still black guys

Downtown/the Harbor:

"XS"--it's a restaurant. Dateable--usually me and my friends go in a group and there are always groups of eligable bachelors there willing to chat it up.

Barnes&Noble--dateable. Go into an aisle where you see a guy that's cute, pick up a book, pretend like you're reading it, and ask him for suggestions...be interesting...works like a charm lol.

Also the B&N near Johns Hopkins campus (which is also kind near the YMCA that I mentioned).

Panera Bread--dateable

Columbia mall-mix of undateble and dateable

Ummm...I can't think of any more specific places. I would name specific streets, but I don't respond to 'hollas'...and I don't think anyone should lol

Good luck dear!

Ooh, thanks so much. I'm noticing a trend here for dateable men at least in the Baltimore area. lol. I'll be in Baltimore for the rest of the week. Maybe I'll go Christmas shopping in B&N's. :look:

So for places like Panera Bread, metro, ymca, and XS, do you walk up to them/give signals, or are they asking you out without any signals?

I did go to the YMCA you are talking about once, and some guy did approach me. So you are right. I need to renew my membership there. I've been to JHU's B&N, and guys there seem asexual.

Towson mall...ugh... high schooler central. And one of them did try to hit on me awhile ago. I've never been to Columbia mall, Panera Bread, or XS. So maybe I just need to visit new places.

And yea, most of men riding public transporation in Baltimore are ...ugh... well, yea, ... dirty, thugs, unattractive, old creepers, and/or young. :perplexed

Taking notes as I've only been here for a little over a year. I just visited the Buddha Bar on Saturday and I really liked the crowd there.

Welcome! How are you liking the dating scene here so far?
And who's that in your siggy? :lol: I want that outfit.

Welcome! How are you liking the dating scene here so far?
And who's that in your siggy? :lol: I want that outfit.

For the first couple of months I didn't go out much since I'd just started grad school, but based on my limited exposure to the scene so far it seems cool. I've met some really cool guys, they are definitely different from the guys in NYC. I find that New York men are more aggressive and forward with their approach.

Oh by the way thanks for the compliment, I wore the outfit to a cool event in DC last night ;)

For the first couple of months I didn't go out much since I'd just started grad school, but based on my limited exposure to the scene so far it seems cool. I've met some really cool guys, they are definitely different from the guys in NYC. I find that New York men are more aggressive and forward with their approach.

Oh by the way thanks for the compliment, I wore the outfit to a cool event in DC last night ;)

I can see why you get approached then with that outfit. :yep:

Yes, I noticed that about NYC men too. I was only there recently for a brief moment. I wasn't approached or anything, but NYC men aren't afraid to look at what they like. Men were staring at me constantly. Like stop and stare. Felt like I was on a different planet.

Came back home later that same afternoon to DC, men were ignoring me and avoiding eye contact again. DC area men :spinning:.

I've never been on Howard's campus. Why does everyone suggest to visit Howard to meet men? Is that the only school in the DMV to meet men? And isn't the men to female ratio like 1:7 on HBCUs? :lol: And I've heard most of the women walk around like it's a fashion show 24/7 and the area isn't so nice when I drove by it.

How does your sister meet sane/clean/professional/friendly people on the metro? Does she start up conversations with them first? Or do they start up converstations with her?

Please dont bother checking out Howard, Im a graduate and during the entire period of my matriculation I NEVER dated anyone from Howard. Somehow I always ended up dating the locals.

I can see why you get approached then with that outfit. :yep:

Yes, I noticed that about NYC men too. I was only there recently for a brief moment. I wasn't approached or anything, but NYC men aren't afraid to look at what they like. Men were staring at me constantly. Like stop and stare. Felt like I was on a different planet.

Came back home later that same afternoon to DC, men were ignoring me and avoiding eye contact again. DC area men :spinning:.

You will probably find this odd, but I actually get approached more when I'm wearing jeans and flats, lol

My bad. I guess I should have asked if you were looking for black men in particular. There are lots of school in DC though, and I still think that the university setting is one of the best place to meet a guy if you're looking for an educated one. I guess I should thrown in Georgetown and GW. They have law schools and medical schools.

As for Howard, people talk about the guy/girl ratio a lot, but I don't think its that bad. I graduated from an HBCU (not Howard, the real HU) and I never went without a date the entire time I was there. I was in a relationship most of the time I was there, but the time that I wasn't, I was dating multiple men. It was in college when I learned a lot of my tricks! :lol:

And Hampton was a fashion show too. While I agree you should look nice and presentable, guys really don't notice much more than that unless they're gay. I've never been the most flashy dresser, I just know what flatters my body type. I think having a pretty face and a fun personality did more for me than clothes ever did.

As for the metro, yeah my sister only dates professional/sane/clean/friendly people :lol:

I never really asked how she meets them, but she is good at talking up guys in a friendly way. I've seen her do it. She'll ask ppl what they're listening to, where they got their shirt/ sneakers (she's into clothes and designers), what program they're studying if they have a sweatshirt with the name of their U, what book they're reading, etc.

She also meets friends of friends. Do you have many friends in the DC area? Are you new?

I moved from DC to Chicago 2.5 yrs ago. I have a friend who moved from Chicago to DC a little while ago to work at NIH for a little bit. He was just taken aback at how many pretty women there are in DC :lol:. So I agree the competition might be a little more fierce in DC, but I don't think its that serious. I lived there for a long time.

Please dont bother checking out Howard, Im a graduate and during the entire period of my matriculation I NEVER dated anyone from Howard. Somehow I always ended up dating the locals.

LOL any reason why? I've dated people from Howard, and I never even went there. :lol:

Locals around Hampton were never an option for me. A lot of the girls dated Navy guys, and I did do that once... no, twice. But that was just because they were drop dead gorgeous. So I made an exception :lol:. I wouldn't do it again though.

What dating experience? LMAO!!!

Just kidding. It's...ok. I haven't really gotten out that much. I lived in a suburb of Atlanta about 30 min away. I now live in Atlanta (still the suburban part). I haven't met a lot of people, yet...but I am definitely running into more men than I did in the DMV.

I've met a few guys who were ok, but a large majority of them want to play games because there are so many women here (at least that's what I've seen so far). There are some really good guys down here (have some friends who have tried to hook me up with a few), I just have yet to meet them yet. I would like to meet some guys who don't know my friends, though.

Really???? I'm in Atl alot and I would think there would be WAY more eligible in the DMV.

Yeah, I get "hollered at" in the A, but never have I met anyone worthwhile. The men are usually gay or too flashy/full of themselves. I do think there are a few decent dudes in the A tho, but they are hard to find bc they are buried amongst all of the sheer nonsense that goes down in Atlanta. I would think the dudes in DC would be more real/down to earth.

LOL any reason why? I've dated people from Howard, and I never even went there. :lol:

Locals around Hampton were never an option for me. A lot of the girls dated Navy guys, and I did do that once... no, twice. But that was just because they were drop dead gorgeous. So I made an exception :lol:. I wouldn't do it again though.

Honestly, Howard guys just didnt do it for me and chances are if you were dating a guy from Howard, you werent the only one he was dating. That didnt work for me since Im selfish and I dont like to share. :nono: Most of the gentleman on campus used the unbalanced ratio to their advantage, so those that came to Howard looking for their husband (and many did) were sadly mistaken. lol

Fortunately, their are alot of dateable locals in DC, but by local I really mean those that have made DC their home that arent students. Most people in DC arent actually from DC, but rather they moved here for a job or stayed upon graduating from one of the local colleges.

Its definitely not hard to meet men or to date in DC, but finding someone that is looking for the same thing that you are looking for can be tedious. However, I imagine its probably like that in most cities.

Honestly, Howard guys just didnt do it for me and chances are if you were dating a guy from Howard, you werent the only one he was dating. That didnt work for me since Im selfish and I dont like to share. :nono: Most of the gentleman on campus used the unbalanced ratio to their advantage, so those that came to Howard looking for their husband (and many did) were sadly mistaken. lol

Fortunately, their are alot of dateable locals in DC, but by local I really mean those that have made DC their home that arent students. Most people in DC arent actually from DC, but rather they moved here for a job or stayed upon graduating from one of the local colleges.

Its definitely not hard to meet men or to date in DC, but finding someone that is looking for the same thing that you are looking for can be tedious. However, I imagine its probably like that in most cities.

This is how I feel about the dating scene in the DMV. I meet men, but men I really want? Not really. That's why I'm expanding my options to men that aren't black.

You are really pretty, btw.

This is how I feel about the dating scene in the DMV. I meet men, but men I really want? Not really. That's why I'm expanding my options to men that aren't black.

You are really pretty, btw.

Aww, thanks (blushing)!! I dont blame you girl. Im hoping 2011 will provide me with better prospects than 2010 did.

You can't go wrong with the places on U street, I usually get approached a lot at The Park 14 during their happy hour on Thursday. Oh and the T.G.I Fridays in the suburban areas of the DMV.

Have you been to the T.G.I.Fridays in Greenbelt? That place is always hopping. It's a pretty nice crowd, too.

I don't go out much, but I've gotten talked to at the supermarket and Target and whatnot. I went to a local African restaurant not too long ago and a group of guys at a table were staring me down. I mean, it was like the stare to beat a thousand stares. It was weird! I kept looking at the ground and walls. Does that count? :lol:

Back