DIY Kinky/senegelese twisters...questions

htown2DAboot

I did my own kinky twists like a month ago...It's time to take them down and redo a fresh set..(I plan on hiding my hair until my 1 year nappyversary this November in some way...twists, sew ins, lf, whatever)..anyways, when I did them, I didn't separate the hair...and they came out sorta big...so big that I have to use a STRETCHY HEADBAND to put them in a ponytail lol...I want them smaller...

So should I seperate the hair this time around? Or maybe I should use a different kind...advice please! I'm starting the take down method today, and I want to start twisting back up this weekend...

Oh yeah..here are pics of how big the twists are now...

Attachments

• tj.jpg
    tj.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 29
  • tj3.jpg
    tj3.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 30
I had the exact same problem as you
They were a lot bigger and longer than I wanted, and I ended up with twice as much hair than I expected. I ended up cutting them to just below shoulder length and just burning the ends because it was too much hair to deal with.

I've seen people on youtube cutting their marley hair in half, taking one of the pieces and splitting that into two as well, but I didn't like the end results of the twists so I didn't try it.

I tried cutting my hair in half but the twists would have been around neck length. I think I need to find longer hair. I need help too

eta you look very pretty in your attachments!

Thanks! And that's exactly what I went through! I want them long..but not big...I tried splitting the hair...and when I did, the twist was extra thin and you could really tell my hair was sticking out lol...

I did my own kinky twists like a month ago...It's time to take them down and redo a fresh set..(I plan on hiding my hair until my 1 year nappyversary this November in some way...twists, sew ins, lf, whatever)..anyways, when I did them, I didn't separate the hair...and they came out sorta big...so big that I have to use a STRETCHY HEADBAND to put them in a ponytail lol...I want them smaller...

So should I seperate the hair this time around? Or maybe I should use a different kind...advice please! I'm starting the take down method today, and I want to start twisting back up this weekend...

Oh yeah..here are pics of how big the twists are now...

Ahh those twists are gorgeous... I want some so bad but I don't think i can wear them thick/full the way I like my hair and wear my military caps as well.... and that color! I know I couldn't wear that in the military (if considered unnatural). :( It's so pretty though. I may be able to get some long ones in black and wrap them in a bun for work?? I dunno. Any suggestions anyone as to what I could do? The regular military cap I can just maybe buy bigger for my hair, but my flight cap for my dress blues which is similar to your "flight attendant" slim hat is where I'm having the trouble...it hardly wants to stay on as is.

IDK about wearing a hat...I guess it would depend on how thick your twists are...and thanks! But they'd look fab on you! And yeah you could wrap them in a bun...or a very low pony? Is there a reason the military is so strict on color? (pls forgive my ignorance if that's a dumb question lol)

They do have the type that is already pre sorted I use to buy mine at Sally's it was called rasta hair there was about 45 peices per bag I would get 3-4 of them. The cost was only 6.99 and I have continued to reused them, I just untwist them, wash them real good and then put them back in when I want to.

Look for packages that have individuals already premade. You can see what I show in my avatar and in my fotki. These are what I bought at Sally's. HTH.

i think the best solution is to separate each clump of hair, but instead of splitting each one into two equal halves, do it so that one is twice as big as the other (i hope this makes sense). use the bigger section and put the small ones in a pile. keep doing this over and over till you get a hang of the sizes.

eventually, you'd be left with just the pile of small sections. if you were really good at keeping all the small ones equal, then just grab 4 small clumps at a time and keep twisting till you're done :yep:

i have never tried this before, but it just seems like the way to go if you dont find any pack that comes in smaller clumps. good luck

Back