Divorcing Due To Religious/Spiritual Beliefs

MissMeWithThatIsh

Based on Liyah's Blog on Halloween:

Would you divorce your DH if you did not wish to celebrate certain holidays that children look forward to?

Specifically Christmas, Easter and Halloween? All these holidays have been commercialized... and while I will NOT get into a debate, IMO, none of them are Christian, they are Christianzed Paganism.

Also, how do you reconcile this? Christian or non-Christian, opinions or thoughts welcome.
ETA for the sake of this debate, let's assume the person was okay with the holiday at first, then did research and decided differently afterward

Last edited:
this should be discussed before marriage.

Who gets married and don't know how the other one feels about these things?

this should be "break-up" info not "divorce" info

I agree, but for the sake of this debate, let's assume the person was okay with the holiday at first, then did research and decided differently afterward.

Would you divorce your DH if you did not wish to celebrate certain holidays that children look forward to?

Specifically Christmas, Easter and Halloween? All these holidays have been commercialized... and while I will NOT get into a debate, IMO, none of them are Christian, they are Christianzed Paganism.

Also, how do you reconcile this? Christian or non-Christian, opinions or thoughts welcome.

Let's see if I had the type of beliefs that didn't let me celebrate those days, those same beliefs probably wouldn't let me divorce someone for such a reason. Then again, those beliefs probably wouldn't have let me marry him in the first place if I knew in advance. :drunk:

It seems as though marriage is so expendable these days. Breaking up with your spouse because he/she doesn't agree on something, to me, is not an option but would require prayer and patience, not dissolving the family.

Last edited:
DH and I should be able to come to an agreement on anything and everything parenting related - no matter what it is, and that understanding should have been put into place before the kids arrived.

With that said, I wouldn't divorce over a holiday. Period. Among the stupid and shallow reasons for a divorce, that's gotta be in the top 5.

I can't even imagine coming to a situation where divorce was even on the table over whether or not to celebrate Christmas. Seriously? Dude.

I really can't wrap my mind around a change like that mid marriage. But this is really not divorce worthy for me. I'm not having a knockdown drag out about trick or treating. He would just have to pout a couple days and get over it.

I really can't wrap my mind around a change like that mid marriage. But this is really not divorce worthy for me. I'm not having a knockdown drag out about trick or treating. He would just have to pout a couple days and get over it.

So, you would ignore his wishes and take the kids out T&T?

I am always curious when People can talk about divorce and religion in the same sentence....

I thought the purpose of religion is to give honor to the Most High...(Whomever you call Most High)

If we are worshipping Our most High even if it is a different Most High...Wouldn't that mean that I would respect holidays that were of some significance to your belief?

To me...religion is about Respect, Honor...Where's the respect and honor if you can't give it to someone else who you differ with...

People drive me :drunk: when your respect and honor are extended only in the church doors ..

Last edited:
I don't think a Holiday is reason for a divorce. I also don't feel like this can be settled with one person 'getting their way'. There has to be a compromise. I smell a spin-off. OP, I agree with you to an extent, though I don't follow a religion.

I don't know how to reconcile but I would say no- this is not a reason to get divorced. People change during a marriage- some things you can't plan for- especially like this. As a Christian it would make the marriage a bit more of a challenge e.g. when it comes to raising their kids but they still love each other & their kids so should be able to find some common ground.

I'm not religious or big on holidays.....Im not against or for them and sometimes participate sometimes don't so I don't hold strong feelings on them...if I married somebody rigidly against or for them I'd respect where he was coming from, if it came down to what the kids are gonna be about why not just raise them knowing all sides of the story, commercialized aspects, historical, religious, etc....as they get older let them decide on their own if those things are important to them or not

Fortunately my dh and I are pretty much in allignment as far as holidays go. We disagree a little with regard to the Santa thing. If I had my way I would tell them their was no Santa from the get-go but since it's important to him I go along with it a little. They get a small gift from "Santa" and all the rest we say are from us, that is our compromise, I could not stand "pretending" everything came from Santa, that really got on my nerves.

I would also tell them there was no tooth fairy either if I had my way...

In marriage you have to make some compromises unless you marry your twin.

Grounds for divorce would be a mate who decided to worship something evil or if he studied witchcraft or something.

So, you would ignore his wishes and take the kids out T&T?

I don't know that I truly would especially if it meant when we return he's left or packing up:nono:. I would hope for a compromise that makes everyone content.

But my response is from my single parent mode where I'm used to making all the decisions without consultation so I'm sure that will be a challenge for me when I get married.

Mainly I'm saying I can't imagine this being THAT big of an issue. Personally I have not liked Halloween since I was 5 or 6 and I dressed up for my moms benefit until the fifth grade seriously.

I wouldn't divorce over it. But if we are both (in my case) Christians, then we are on the same page about our religious beliefs; regarding the holidays.

This is funny. DH didn't celebrate Halloween--he never went trick or treating. I go full hog and make cosutmes and everything. WE had this dicussion one year and I just ignored him. I was Cinderella, the kids were a fairy and I think the "Ultimate Warrior."

ETA for the sake of this debate, let's assume the person was okay with the holiday at first, then did research and decided differently afterward
If I were married and did not discuss holiday celebrations before marriage: No, I would not divorce my DH if I did not wish to celebrate certain holidays that children look forward to. If DH still wishes to celebrate them with the children, he can go right ahead. I just wouldn't participate. If he has a problem with it, we could sit down and discuss my beliefs about how holidays have been commercialized and maybe come to an understanding of how to celebrate holidays in a Christian manner with a focus on the Lord instead of blowing all your money on toys, gifts, easter eggs, candy and costumes. I feel like there is definitely a way to reconcile this without going to the extreme measure of divorce.

No but we should be able to communicate and come to an agreement that works for both of us. With religious matters it's best to not hinder someone else's walk. If he feels that it was taking away from his relationship with God, I'd stop for the sake of not being a stumbling block and as my husband, he should do the same.

I don't know if I would divorce over it but, I would not allow my children to participate. I feel strongly against holidays.

I can see where TLD is coming from, there are some things that you may find out during marriage or later in life.

Back