Divorce through a child's eyes

LadyPaniolo

Today I took my 3 year old DD outside with me to tend the garden and then play with bubbles. As she was running around chasing the bubbles I blew, a little boy came up to us. He said hello and we exchanged names. He began to play with the bubbles, too. I was trying to make conversation with the boy, and asked him "So, do your mommy and daddy live in this complex?" To which he replied:

"I don't have a daddy." with his eyes downcast. "I only have a step-daddy." My heart just bled for him. He said slowly "My mommy and daddy broke up. Now he lives in X apartments."

The sadness of his demeanor was palpable. But the thing that really blew me out of the water was his understanding that since Mommy and Daddy broke up, he no longer HAS a daddy... he isn't there, so he is not his father anymore.

I don't believe in divorce... but I have been in a rough patch in my marriage and the thought that my husband and I might not make it had entered my mind more than once lately. Funny how God works. I had never seen this child in the whole time we've lived here, and now here he comes right up to me and reminds me of God's word on divorce. Coincidence?

Today I took my 3 year old DD outside with me to tend the garden and then play with bubbles. As she was running around chasing the bubbles I blew, a little boy came up to us. He said hello and we exchanged names. He began to play with the bubbles, too. I was trying to make conversation with the boy, and asked him "So, do your mommy and daddy live in this complex?" To which he replied:

"I don't have a daddy." with his eyes downcast. "I only have a step-daddy." My heart just bled for him. He said slowly "My mommy and daddy broke up. Now he lives in X apartments."

The sadness of his demeanor was palpable. But the thing that really blew me out of the water was his understanding that since Mommy and Daddy broke up, he no longer HAS a daddy... he isn't there, so he is not his father anymore.

I don't believe in divorce... but I have been in a rough patch in my marriage and the thought that my husband and I might not make it had entered my mind more than once lately. Funny how God works. I had never seen this child in the whole time we've lived here, and now here he comes right up to me and reminds me of God's word on divorce. Coincidence?

Thanks for sharing this story - sometimes we forget the ones who stand to lose the most in divorce are usually the children.

Be encouraged - If God can ressurect Jesus from the dead a "dead" marriage is nothing for Him.

Pray girl! Just Pray and seek God for wisdom and strength so you can make the right decision. I'm not one to advocate staying in any marriage for the sake of children, I understand that they can benefit, but definitey weigh it as an individual first to avoid self sacrifice.

The verdict is out for divorce and Christianity etc. which is not what I am talking about at all. Just pray.. and ask the Lord to help you guys through it, no matter what the outcome may be.

Back