Dipping real hair in boiling water?

winnettag

Stupid question: :grin:

I want to get wavy braids because I'm tired of straight ones, but I would have to dip my real hair braided in with the extension hair to get them that way (due to length issues; I think it looks strange when the waves are only on the last few inches of the braids).

Would that damage my hair strands very much? What if I kept them well conditioned?

I googled it but apparently people don't worry about this too much. :ohwell:

I used to do it all the time before I cared about my hair, but now I wouldn't do it. I know boiling water is not nearly as hot as a flat iron, but :nono: it just doesn't seem like a good idea. Especially at the ends where your hair is the oldest and already more prone to breakage.

Last time I got braids and wanted to make them wavy I braided them in small to medium braids, put a rubberband on the end, and wet them in the shower. I let them dry before I took the braids out. The waves didn't last as long (a couple of days) and were looser, but I felt much better about doing in that way.

I used to do it all the time before I cared about my hair, but now I wouldn't do it. I know boiling water is not nearly as hot as a flat iron, but :nono: it just doesn't seem like a good idea. Especially at the ends where your hair is the oldest and already more prone to breakage.

Last time I got braids and wanted to make them wavy I braided them in small to medium braids, put a rubberband on the end, and wet them in the shower. I let them dry before I took the braids out. The waves didn't last as long (a couple of days) and were looser, but I felt much better about doing in that way.

You're definitely right about that. I haven't even used any type of heat except a hooded dryer to DC in years.

Never thought about braiding them and wetting. Thanks for that suggestion.

Wavy human hair doesn't need to be dipped in hot water to be wavy so that's one thing. Even cold water will make the hair wavy.

Now about getting the section with your own hair wavy, the only way I know to do that is to do a braid out. Braid the singles when wet in braids that will give the same size of wave as the wave of the human hair and then when your hair is dry, undo and voila!

That's what I did to convert this:
BraidsApril2007-vi.jpg

...to this:
bitmap58697-vi.jpg

^^^^Thanks for sharing the pics! That came out nice.
I've never used human hair before, but it looks like I might have to give it a try.

I currently have my hair braided and I use a little aphogee wrap foam on dampened braids that I gather into larger braids (like a braid-out) and it helps the waves to last a little longer.

I currently have my hair braided and I use a little aphogee wrap foam on dampened braids that I gather into larger braids (like a braid-out) and it helps the waves to last a little longer.

Never heard of aphogee wrap foam but I will certainly try it out.
Thank you!

Back