Dimethacone- Should I stay AWAY from??

sheedahp

Im going through ingredients on my hair products and looking for cones and sulfates. Some of my products that I really like have dimethacone and sulfates. Should I not use these anymore?:nono:

Last edited:
welllll dimethacone is in a lot of serums, and I personally find serums helpful when I'm wearing my hair straight in a humid area.

you just have to be careful about buildup on the scalp b/c sulfate shampoos will be needed to remove that cone.

I say keep the products and use them sparingly

btw sulfate shampoos can be used as shaving cream if you're against using them on your hair anymore. or you could add your favorite essential oil and it'll counteract the stripping properties of the sulfates. :)

some silicones are not water soluble, and require sulfated shampoos to remove them from the hair. buildup of silicones on the hair strands over time without proper clarifying can lead to a blockage of moisture. however, as long as you clarify your hair on a regular basis 1x a month or so, using them shouldn't be a problem.

cones aid in the detangling process, because they coat the hair strand & make them feel "slippery", so it eases detangling. but some people here have abandoned them. it all depends on your personal preference, and how comfortable you feel with clarifying your hair.

I stayed away from all cones for the first 6 months of HHJ, but now, I have incorporated a few back into my regimen, namely Silicon Mix. I just clarify with a shikakai bar once/week.

08/18/09 I have to say the mineral oil is becoming too much for me, so Silicon Mix is now out.

Last edited:
Cones work for some and not for others. I would suggest you go by what your hair tells you.

Also remember that the same cones in one product may not work for you in another. So don't let that be the major determining factor in whether a product will work for you.

Basically let your hair tell you what works and what doesn't.

Cones work for some and not for others. I would suggest you go by what your hair tells you.

Also remember that the same cones in one product may not work for you in another. So don't let that be the major determining factor in whether a product will work for you.

Basically let your hair tell you what works and what doesn't.
So am I judging what works for my hair by how my hair turns out after I use them, whether it be immediately or over a period of time?
Sorry for all the ?'s:blush:

So am I judging what works for my hair by how my hair turns out after I use them, whether it be immediately or over a period of time?
Sorry for all the ?'s:blush:

Yup! And believe me, we don't mind the questions.

In my case cones make my hair feel dry and slippery the moment I rinse them out. So, I don't use them.

But, other people do find them beneficial. A great place to look for info about cones is www.thebeautybrains.com. Just search silicone on the site and it'll bring up a few posts. Silicones can serve a purpose in haircare and they're not "evil" if you know why you're using them and are using them to work for you.

Dimethecone can be conditioner washed out and my hair actually likes this cone so I don't avoid it anymore.

Dimethicone copolyol, and PEG-dimethicones (like PEG-18 dimethicone, etc.) are actually water-soluble, and don't require clarifying to remove. They're the only ones I'll use.

I find that silicones usually block moisture from my hair, and make it feel sticky and coated, so I avoid them in everyday products like moisturizer or leave-ins. But they're necessary in products like heat protectant, shine serums, and smoothing products.

Btw, the Beauty Brains site claims that dimethicone and petrolatum/mineral oil are better moisturizers than coconut or olive oil, so I take their advice with a grain of salt. :wink2:

Dimethicone copolyol, and PEG-dimethicones (like PEG-18 dimethicone, etc.) are actually water-soluble, and don't require clarifying to remove. They're the only ones I'll use.

I find that silicones usually block moisture from my hair, and make it feel sticky and coated, so I avoid them in everyday products like moisturizer or leave-ins. But they're necessary in products like heat protectant, shine serums, and smoothing products.

Btw, the Beauty Brains site claims that dimethicone and petrolatum/mineral oil are better moisturizers than coconut or olive oil, so I take their advice with a grain of salt. :wink2:

From what I understood, they said that cones and petrolatum/mineral oil are better at locking in moisture. Which makes sense because coconut/olive oil are getting absorbed by the hair.

From what I understood, they said that cones and petrolatum/mineral oil are better at locking in moisture. Which makes sense because coconut/olive oil are getting absorbed by the hair.

Ditto. Those oils PENETRATE hair. The aforementioned ingredients do not...however they "seal" in water. Used in proper proportions, these oils can increases elasticity, water adds moisture and 'cones can help "seal" it all in (you can't truly "seal" hair, but hamper water's evaporation, slowing it down).

No, they said they're better moisturizers. Here's the quote: "Well, Olive Oil is a good moisturizer (not as good as Petrolatum or dimethicone, but it will work.) Same is true for the Coconut Oil."

Back