Diluting Shampoo

pookaloo83

*sigh* I'm getting frustrated. I have a squeeze bottle that I put my diluted shampoo in, but I don't think I'm diluting it right. I wanted to start diluting because I wanted to stretch my shampoo out. The thing is, it doesn't lather. What am I doing wrong? Maybe too much water? It seems like I'm putting alot of shampoo in.

Shouldn't it lather a bit? The shampoo I use is Giovanni's Tea Tree Triple Treat.

@pookaloo83, what you are doing wrong is not following the directions on the product.

I have never understood why people dilute shampoos. I know if hair is full of product and dirt even undiluted shampoo with SLS may not lather well on first application. And a second one is needed to get hair clean.

I do not use products and I never dilute my shampoos even when applying to bare hair coz I honestly would not feel like it cleaned well. Of course you can do whatever you want, but if you try something and it doesn't work, sometimes that's a sign that you should do what the directions say.

ETA I just used the same shampoo today, and I used two quarter size amounts and had my hair covered in foam. I used it undiluted.

Last edited:
I dilute my shampoo because I wash my hair in braids and it actually makes it easier to apply and suds it up. Even when my hair is loose it is so dense that the diluted shampoo is easier to apply making it easier for me to wash my hair so my hair actually gets cleaner this way IMO. Honestly I don't use less product though because I still want to make my sure my hair gets clean so I do several washes. My hair and scalp feel clean and non stripped. I use shampoo straight-not diluted every few washes though to really clarify or if I have used silicones I usually do not dilute the poo at my next wash.

Edited: Sorry I just noticed you use Giovanni Tea Tree. This is the same exact poo I use. You must not be putting much shampoo. I always have quite a bit of lather. I'm going to go look at my applicator bottle and see if I can estimate how much poo I put.

Last edited:
You need to do 2 or 3 washes to get lather with diluted shampoo when products (oily) are in the hair.

I like to dilute shampoo because it "spreads" easier over my head and I sometimes use black soap or Dr. Bronners and those have to be diluted.

I looked at my bottle- I add about 1-1.5oz of poo I would guess. The bottle holds 8 oz of liquid. I sometimes add water up to the 7 or 8 mark depending on how much poo I add. You should see suds begin to form in the bottle and make sure you shake it up well also or all the poo will be at the bottom.

Thanks guys! Nonie I end up getting frustrated and end up washing without diluting it. I wash in braids sometimes and like to stick the applicator up in the roots and scalp. If it doesn't work out again on my next wash I 'll just stick to doing it the old fashioned way and washing un-diluted.

u can still dilute your shampoo pookaloo.
I take off the cap of my applicator bottle and just dump the whole thing on my head if i'm not getting a lather. But no lather doesn't mean the shampoo is not working.
Try taking a cup or applicator bottle. Pour the poo in.....add the water and then just dump it all on your damp hair. u may have to do a second time

I "dilute" my shampoo by taking a small dime size amount and letting some shower water hit it then lather it in my hands. (I do this for a section of hair at a time. I wash in 6 sections.)

Whenever I don't get a good lather it's because my hair isn't wet enough. Before I even start shampooing I rinse my hair for 3-5 minutes or so.

I dilute all different kinds of shampoo in an 8oz app bottle and they always lather. I've done Nourish Spa, Nexxus, Nioxin, etc. I only put 2-3 squirts in the bottle and fill the rest w/water. I'm not sure if Giovanni lathers, that could be your problem.

Back