Dilemma for Texturized/Underprocessed Curlies

cardinalfire

Here's my problem. I have THICK 3c lightly relaxed hair, that I wear curly (air dried) 100% of the time. My problem is, every time that I find a product that clumps the delicate curls properly, it is likely to leave a ashy cast behind. Aveda Be Curly, for example, gives me great clumping and definition, but I get that ashiness. Does anyone have a non-oily product with a creamy consistency that will clump curls, not leave them stringy and seperated, that won't leave the film behind?

Thanks

What do you mean by "ashy cast?" Like white flakes? Or, it makes your hair looks dull and lose its shine? I make my own flax seed gel and that doesn't leave a "cast," maybe you're using too much product. Sorry I wasn't very helpful
frown.gif
I need more clarification.

I'm not sure what you mean either
smile.gif
Are you referring to a dullness? I use FOTE aloe vera gel then when it is dry I use molding maniac to spruce it up otherwise it looks a bit dullish.
Maybe you need to put something additional over the be curly or try a serum under it

kittenlongpaw would you mind sharing your recipe for flax seed gel please?

Yep, dulling white cast, no flakes, just not shiny like when it is wet and product-free.

Aloe gel doesn't work for me--it makes the top layer of my hair frizz. Maybe I will try less product, and a finisher. Thanks

L'oreal UnFrizz Taming Cream
John Freida Dream Curls (a spray not a gel or cream)
Salon Selectives Loosely Defined (if you can find it)
Someone mentioned L'oreal Anti Frizz Gel - which I use on my edges and it's fine. I've never used it for curls tho.

[ QUOTE ]
buffalosoldier said:
I'm not sure what you mean either
smile.gif
Are you referring to a dullness? I use FOTE aloe vera gel then when it is dry I use molding maniac to spruce it up otherwise it looks a bit dullish.
Maybe you need to put something additional over the be curly or try a serum under it

[/ QUOTE ]

hey i was gonna recommend the exact same gel!

My friend uses Noodle Head which I think it by TIGI or something like that and is available at Sally's. It's a cream and doesn't flake - from what she's told me.

The Loreal Anti-Frizz gel works nicely. After spritzing with water/glycerin/conditioner, I applied gel lightly and my hair dried in spirals. It didn't puff up as much as it does at times. It dried in close to the same formation that it was in when it was wet, but it dried soft and non-crunchy. The gel is clear, so that's one more thing I like about it.

[ QUOTE ]
buffalosoldier said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I got this recipe off naturallycurly.com/longhaircommunity.com to give credit where credit is due
smile.gif

It is pretty simple really.

*3-6 Tbsp whole brown flax seeds (Whole Foods or health food store)

*1 cup water. I use distilled

*1 vitamin E gelcap (acts as preservative), though I have never used a preservative before because I never had one handy, and it's kept just fine in the fridge.

*Lavender essential oil, or EO of your choice for scent, though you don't need one if you don't want.

Mix the seeds with the water, bring it to a boil, boil for 8 minutes. Less boiling time will yield a thinner gel. You can experiment until you get the consistancy you like.

Strain through a wire mesh strainer into a bowl. You want to strain it while it's still very hot, otherwise the gel will thicken more and be hard to strain. This part can be rough. Those little seeds are very slippery. Thinner gel is easier to strain.

Let it cool until it's OK to touch it. It thickens as it cools. You don't want it to get too thick before you stir in the rest of the ingredients.

Pierce the vitamin E and squeeze it into the gel, and add a few drops EO. Stir, and let it cool to room temperature.

Keep the gel in the refrigerator; it will stay fresh for a couple of weeks.

If you want a thicker or thinner gel, use more or less flax seeds and experiment with the boiling times (less boiling = thinner gel).

I like this gel because it is all natural. It offers a light, non crunchy hold (I make it on the thinner side). No ashy cast either
cool.gif
It can be sort of a pain to make, but I find it last a very long time, weeks and weeks in the fridge. You know it's going bad when it start to take on an odd smell. HTH!

Have you tried using a conditioner like Suave or Pantene and a clear gel like Fantasia IC or Nexxus XXtra hold? First use a little moisturizer on damp hair, then wet hair and add conditioner and gel. Blot with a towel to get rid of extra water. You shouldn't have any dull buildup, but if you do add water and lessen conditioner amount.

Back