Different products at different weeks?

UmSumayyah

I am constantly re-evaluating and changing up my regimen since discovering hairboards about 6 weeks ago. I was wondering if any of you use different products to suit hair needs at different points. For instance, using a more moisturizing shampoo or coconut oil to manage roots after the 6 week mark.
I am thinking of developing a regimen based on this. Some products I will be rotating simply because I like a change. Others will go in to address a need (like applying coconut oil to alot of new growth).
Also, might this be the reason why products seem to work sometimes and not at others for the same person?

I know that when I was wearing my hair blow dried and straight, I'd leave the deep conditioner on longer to help soften the new growth more. I'd relax every 12 -16 weeks and my hair is thick, so leaving the conditioner on longer helped me. I didn't change products though. I'm on the curly girl routine now and think that not shampooing has helped my hair become more manageable, less dry, and less bulky when I wear it straight.

Umsummayah, that's exactly right. I use different products for different hair needs. For example, Creme of Nature Detangling shampoo. I only use this one when my newgrowth becomes alot and I need something to soften in up. I don't use it whenever I don't have that much newgrowth. I'll use Elucence Moisture balancing shampoo. same goes for conditioners. You have to figure out what it is your hair is lacking at that particular point and then give it what it needs so it can thrive.

I'm a PJ too /images/graemlins/tongue.gif but I also change products around the mid-point between touch ups because I airdry more and rollerset less.

At these times I use curl enhancers, gels, creamy moisturizers or moisiturizer/styling creme combos and spray leave ins on a more regular basis.

Past week 7, all I can really do with my hair that looks good is a head full of curls or a wet bun that dries into Adrienne-esque waves at the front and crown, while the length remains "away" and moisturized in the bun. I also clarify more after week 7 because my curly looks require more product and I like to get it all out completely when I wash and before I style again to avoid build up.

HTH /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hi UmSumayyah,

Yes, I do use a lot of products, I think I would get bored if I didn't plus there are times when I may need more moisture than other times. I gradually increase the intensity of my conitioners over six weeks.

The thing that I have noticed when a product doesn't work well for me is due to texture of my hair and the ingredients in products. Example: Products that I used to be able to use when I was relaxed do not do the moisturizing job I need as a natural. I need real heavy conditioners now.

Back