Did You Save Your Hair After the BC?

Sianna

Maybe this is a weird question, but I can't find it within myself to care. :lachen:

I guess I'm just curious to know if I'm the only person who saved their hair! I've done two BC's in my life, but I only saved the hair from the first one. I still have it now, nearly two years later! :grin:

I'm not really sure why I decided to save it, but I do know why I've decided to keep it. Already, I've relapsed once and gone back to chemical relaxers. Not saying anything bad about other women who relax their hair, but for me it just was NOT the business! :nono: I lived in denial for years and now that I have decided to go natural and stay there, I can actually look back and even feel the difference in how my hair was then and how it is now. That poor hair was sooooo dry, and extremely fragile! No wonder it kept breaking off at the line of demarcation!

So now, if I ever find myself feeling some kind of way about my hair, or find myself considering going back to the relaxers, I can just look at the hair I shaved off, be reminded of the damage I've left behind and keep moving forward in my natural, healthy hair journey! :D

Anybody else save their hair? If so, why did you keep it? Do you ever plan on getting rid of it?

Last edited:
Once, I was bored.

In fact... it was the day I wanted to just cut all my hair off lol.

I picked up the scissors and took a big chunk out on my left side, then a big chunk at the back. I should of kept going but just looking at my hair in the sink hurt me. I picked up my hair, gave it a hug.. made a lil prayer and gave it a proper funeral ceremony. It is then that I vowed to never kill (big chop my hair randomly) ever again. :nono:

Oh hec no. My 3rd BC, I cut those relaxed ends off, took pictures of those misfit strands, and threw it straight in the trash. I probably would've set it on fire if I could........:lachen:

Yes I did, but I finally threw it out last year....

I don't really know why I saved it for so long :shrugs:

I took a picture of it. That's my reminder.

I don't need the physical hair....I mean, where would I keep it....and God forbid someone find it...

No. I wanted to free myself of it and the past associated with it and promptly dumped it out. I struggled with it for months during my transition and grew to hate my relaxed hair in favor of the new babies growing in.

But I understand your reasons and that's a good idea. I never relapsed and never will, so I don't need it around.

nasty!

My mom kept the braid she cut off the first time she cut her hair. That big thick, 10 inch braid was in her drawer for the longest time.

I donated it the first time.
my 2nd bc it was just a few inches I chopped and i tossed it away immediately, i forgot to even take a pic for blog purposes

I'm shame to say yes, and I still have it. It's in a baggy somewhere and I don't even know where it is, lol.

Hmm... maybe I am weird for keeping my hair then. :ohwell::spinning:

Oh well, I'll just be weird then! :grin: I still have the hair in a little bag in my bedroom. It's in my nightstand. Maybe once my current hair surpasses the chopped hair in length, I'll finally go ahead and throw it out. :rolleyes: :lachen:

ETA: I think that maybe if I had transitioned, I probably wouldn't have kept my relaxed ends, but the first time I BC'd, I took the clippers to my head and chopped it ALL off. Even though I didn't regret it, I now know that I wasn't truly ready to be natural at that time. Perhaps that's why I was still attached to my hair. *shrugs*

Last edited:
Hmm... maybe I am weird for keeping my hair then. :ohwell::spinning:

Oh well, I'll just be weird then! :grin: I still have the hair in a little bag in my bedroom. It's in my nightstand. Maybe once my current hair surpasses the chopped hair in length, I'll finally go ahead and throw it out. :rolleyes: :lachen:

ETA: I think that maybe if I had transitioned, I probably wouldn't have kept my relaxed ends, but the first time I BC'd, I took the clippers to my head and chopped it ALL off. Even though I didn't regret it, I now know that I wasn't truly ready to be natural at that time. Perhaps that's why I was still attached to my hair. *shrugs*

No you're not weird some people have an attachment to the hair they cut.

I kept mine to sob over it every other day or so. I remember, I had right on the bedroom dresser. DH was like "Are you going to just keep that there?" I finally threw it away after 2 weeks.

I still have it. :look:

I'm not sure why.. On the one hand, it's to remind myself how hard it was to transition, and how glad I should be to have made it. The relaxed hair (a good 7 inches) sort of symbolizes that for me.
On the other, that hair was super healthy and pampered and loved, I couldn't just throw it out! :lol:

My BC is almost 3 months ago, so not very long. I'm sure I'll throw it out some time. It is kind of nasty..

No I didn't, but I did take a picture. My hair was loaded with a protein conditioner when I did my BC, so my relaxed ends looked stiff and made an artistic pattern on my bathroom counter.

090108BC18-vi.jpg

I didn't get a chance to :sad: I went to a natural hair salon and the lady who cut my hair started sweeping it up before I could grab at it. I told her I wanted it, and she said, "No you don't", stopping mid-sweep while arching her eyebrow at me.

"You know what, I don't think I need it come to think of it" :look:

She was nice, but very intimidating.

When I asked her where and how much she was going to cut off, she paused and looked back at me in the mirror and said, "Where the new growth ends and the relaxed hair begins".

:look: Heh heh, stupid me. Please continue.

Back