Did you (or anyone close to you) elope?

CaribbeanQueen

I am just wondering if any of you ladies ran away to get married or if anyone close to you has. What were the reactions of friends/family members? Do you regret it? Please share your stories...

I can't say that I have but I have some friends who have and they are VERY happy with their decisions. Maybe they have a few family members that would have preferred they did it differently but you can't make everyone happy.

I would do it in a second, but that's because the thought of the stress and pressure of planning a wedding makes me sick and light-headed. It's supposed to be the happiest time of your life and I would be happiest going away, eloping and coming back and having a big party with friends and family to celebrate... after the fact.

But that's me!

I'm on the verge of eloping. Our wedding is in June, but I'm going crazy fending myself from his mother, and his grandmother. They have a huge family, he's a spoiled favorite, and they have a vision of a big elaborate wedding.

I'm feeling just a little selfish - it's my day. FH is down for whatever. I just don't want to disappoint my mother because she is genuinely excited to be the Mother of the Bride.

My best college friend basically eloped. She got married at the Mall of America. From what I was told, it was kinda on the fly.... And she's not the "on the fly" type of chick....

Her second marriage. She had the HUGE church wedding and she didn't want all of that pomp and circumstance. They did have a reception I think a few weeks or a month or so after they got married.

If it matters, they got divorced 7 years early. Not (necessarily) because they got married too quickly, but dude was basically a user....

Last edited:
We are fighting about wedding plans (not me and him, but basically families) so at this point I so want to just go to Vegas...

A white couple I know eloped to Alaska. He's a doctor. She's a stay at home mom of a newborn. Both blonde. I don't know why they did it. Don't know what their motivations were.

My mom warns us not to, as we'll want pictures and momentos of the wedding to inspire us through tough times in the marriage.

Last edited:
I did...right after hs graduation and my family was furious!!! No one talked to us on either sides...cut off completely. I decided I couldn't do it...so my dad paid to get it annulled. Probably the best interference ever! I had no idea what I was thinking...we lost our minds.

I did...right after hs graduation and my family was furious!!! No one talked to us on either sides...cut off completely. I decided I couldn't do it...so my dad paid to get it annulled. Probably the best interference ever! I had no idea what I was thinking...we lost our minds.

On what grounds did he have it annulled?

My aunt eloped when she was 18, My grandmother told her to just get to know the guy better, she never said no to the wedding but then after the family found out they had got eloped, they had a small reception for them. Well, long story short it turned out that he wasn't who he said he was and really was mental. He tried to run her off a bridge with both my cousins in the car, she was able to get away, and 40 years later she has been able to move on and is dating her high school sweetheart. Anyway, I love my cousins to death and they are the coolest, yet everyone knows to listen to my grandmother, she just has that inner voice, and when we dont listen for some reason shes always right. :look: I think my best friend might actually elope eventually, but I think she has the perfect reason to. Her mother is very overbearing. :perplexed

On what grounds did he have it annulled?

We had only been married a short while and I decided to go into the military. After my training was done I had to leave to overseas for a year and he couldn't come. We had already been apart for awhile before so the judge granted us annulment I don't have the papers here(currently deployed) to look at the cause.

We had only been married a short while and I decided to go into the military. After my training was done I had to leave to overseas for a year and he couldn't come. We had already been apart for awhile before so the judge granted us annulment I don't have the papers here(currently deployed) to look at the cause.

That's interesting, sorry if I seem nosey - I'm into law stuff a lot. I would guess it was pleaded too young if you were under 18, or that you were not in your right mind, or that the marriage wasn't consummated.

That's interesting, sorry if I seem nosey - I'm into law stuff a lot. I would guess it was pleaded too young if you were under 18, or that you were not in your right mind, or that the marriage wasn't consummated.

Its okay...it was like 3 almost 4 years ago so I never thought about it...I'll PM you when I get home to tell you the clause on the papers...just to kill your curiosity...

I had a friend who started planning her wedding in December, then eloped in March. No one except her sister knew she was married. It was her first wedding. Mind you, no one liked her fiance, but I was excited for her because I knew she wanted to get married and start a family.
They had a real wedding in the summer. Not too many people could go because it was in the Bahamas. I think her sister and his mom went. Still, no one knew they were already married. She has left him at least 7 times in the past 3 years. When I talked to her a few weeks ago, she was going to file for divorce after the holidays. :ohwell:

My cousin just did that this summer. He, his girlfriend, and their son went to Las Vegas telling everyone that they were going to visit her family. Well, they were but they were also getting hitched!:grin:

They didn't tell anyone until a couple of days before. His Mom was really upset.

I didn't elope, but should I meet the RIGHT one this time around, I'd insist on eloping because planning my wedding turned me into a total beeeotch. I was cranky because I knew in my heart I wasn't ready and it was for the wrong reasons but my fiance's mom had paid for everything. My Mom and I were on the outs because of this guy and she didn't come and I convinced myself that I didn't care. I was too chicken to change my mind. I snapped at everyone except my MOH and bridesmaids, and at our rehearsal I pissed off the piano player so bad that we never saw her again. Then my soon-to-be-MIL held up the start of the wedding because she needed someone to go get her a pair of hose.

I'll NEVER plan another wedding again!

Last edited:
Back