Did relaxer this morning and hair feels dry and was tangly...any suggestions?

jh1581

Hey Ladies,

So I just relaxed my hair early this morning, but this time when I did it, it turned out a little dry and tangly. Here's what I did:

-I based my scalp the night before as well as right before with vaseline.

-I divided my hair into 2 sections and relaxed both (one at a time to prevent overprocessing) with Silk Elements Regular relaxer diluted with about 3 tbsps olive oil.

- I rinsed for about 10 minutes and applied Aphogee 2 min reconstructor. Left in for several minutes.

- Rinsed and washed with neutralizer shampoo 3 times to make sure relaxer was all out.

- Apple cider vinegar rinse (2 oz to 4 cups water).

-Deep conditioner with ORS Pak for 20 min.

-Rinse, applied Roux Porosity control for 1 minute.

-Rinsed, and applied leave-ins (Paul Mitchell's The Conditioner, Ojon Rejuvenating mist) and sealed with coconut oil.

I used my Solia Ion hairdryer to blow a little of the moisture out for about 5 minutes so my hair wouldn't be soaking wet. So now it's currently air-drying since I've been at work since 9am (it's 1pm now).

Anyone have any suggestions and to what could have caused my hair to be a little dry and tangly?

I'm debating re-washing before I go out of town on Saturday and maybe doing a protein treatment (I've taken a piece of shedded hair for a strand test, pulled it see how much it stretches before it breaks, and it's a little "rubberband-like"--stretches before it snaps).

Do you ladies suggest that I re-wash, do protein tx, and deep condition again on Saturday? Or just leave it be? Any suggestions to make it a little softer without making it too heavy?

(Btw...and this is the second time in a row my hair has felt like this after trying Roux Porosity Control for the first time last time I washed)

Thanks and sorry this was so long!

Hi Friend - I recommend some sort of moisturizing treatment - when I relax - I use a protein after rinsing the relaxer but a moisturizing treatment after the neutralizing shampoo - I would wait before doing any additional protein treatments as the ORS is a protein conditioner. I would also maybe use only one type of leave in as this may be adding to the extra heaviness to your hair as well..

Also I would not recommend using both the Porosity control and the ACV at the same time as this may have contributed to the dryness...

HTH

Yea you probably need some moisture because you used alot of protein. Your DC should have been a moisturizing one instead of a light protein one. HTH

I had this same problem the last time I relaxed but it went away after I used a DC (Humecto).

Thanks for the replies :) I didn't realize the protein could have caused my dryness.

I have some Paul Mitchell Super charged moisturizing conditioner. Should I maybe use this at my next wash to add some moisture?

your hair needs moisture,try using aphogee balancing moisturizing conditioner. that should help after couple of washes.

Thanks for the replies :) I didn't realize the protein could have caused my dryness.

I have some Paul Mitchell Super charged moisturizing conditioner. Should I maybe use this at my next wash to add some moisture?

Yeah - go with that - that is a great conditioner!

Back