Did Lets Jam do this to you?

fwilliams

So for a while I was using Lets Jam on my hair to do my bantu knots which is my staple style when I am wearing my hair. It gave me the perfect set. (See Pic) Now, I went to Vegas and painted my nails in the morning (two coats, clear top coat). By the end of the night, my nail polish was peeling off, like that fake nail polish kids have...it was like using your nail to peel a crayon. I figured it was the nail polish, so I went to thw store that evening and purchased more. The next day, the same thing happened to me- the nail polish lost it shine became dull and I could scrape it off with my fingernail by the end of the day.

It never occurred to me that it was the Lets Jam until I washed my hair and wore a wash n go and this didn't happen. I experimented-- I deliberately put the Lets Jam on a polished nail. Sure enough, it literally ATE through all the polish on my nail.

My question is, if this product does this to nail polish, what is it doing to our hair? I have since stopped using it, but nothing else gives me the perfect bantu knot out like Jam did, but I refuse to use it because I don't think its safe.

Any suggestions for alternate products that works like Lets Jam? Help!

Attachments

• 100_0570.jpg
    100_0570.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 235
I don't use lets jam so IDK about the peeling polish thing. Have you tried aloe vera gel?
Oh, your knot out is FIYAH!!! Is that on wet or dry hair?

I love your curls, is this your bantu set taken out or did you roll your hair?

Thank you! That is a bantu knot out. I wear my hair flat-ironed for a couple of days and then put about 10 knots in and take it down in the morning.

Wow, I knew there had to be something harsh in it to take off my nail polish :ohwell:-- what is designers touch?...is it a pomade?

I've had the same experience with Lets Jam and nail polish. As a result, I have also stop using it. I'm currently using shea butter and aloe vera gel.

perhaps a natural base gel. John Masters Organics has a silk protein and aloe gel.
they have a website.
I find that leave in conditoners work well when i do a rollerset, bantu knots, or a flexi rod set.

Thank you! That is a bantu knot out. I wear my hair flat-ironed for a couple of days and then put about 10 knots in and take it down in the morning.

Wow, I knew there had to be something harsh in it to take off my nail polish :ohwell:-- what is designers touch?...is it a pomade?

It is similiar to Jam but without the LYE in it and it doesn't cake up in your hair, it's out by the end of the night, so I love it, doesn't get build up or hard, and only a dab a do.
http://www.texasbeautysupplies.com/dt233.html

Last edited:
I don't use lets jam so IDK about the peeling polish thing. Have you tried aloe vera gel?
Oh, your knot out is FIYAH!!! Is that on wet or dry hair?

Thank you!... that bantu knot out is on dry hair...when I do a wet (damp, because it would never dry) it looks more like a big curly fro.

Do you mean pure aloe vera gel or a gel with aloe vera in it like IC Fantasia? I didn't know you could use aloe vera for a set :spinning:.

It is similiar to Jam but without the LYE in it and it doesn't cake up in your hair, it's out by the end of the night, so I love it, doesn't get build up or hard, and only a dab a do.
http://www.texasbeautysupplies.com/dt233.html

I might have to try this... besides the nail polish thing, Lets Jam did build up and got really greasy- I'm talking leave a streak on the car window, embarassing grease spot on boyfriend's pillow greasy.:lachen:

I am a non paid promoter of Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera or Vitamin E gel. I use their gels everyday with no adverse effects on my hair, and it hold moisture in my hair during the winter.

Does the LYE in the Let's Jam straighten your hair? I am going to have to keep my eyes peeled for this ingrident. Glad I stopped using that LONG ago. Never really liked it anyways.

I've had the same experience with Lets Jam and nail polish. As a result, I have also stop using it. I'm currently using shea butter and aloe vera gel.

I'm so happy you said somethingg because I thought I was going crazy. I would look down and my nail polish would be gone, vanished. I was just like what in the sam H-E-C-K is going on! When I described this to people, they were like what are you talkin about? :wallbash:

Thank you for all the quick responses ladies, I knew you would have suggestions!:grin:

Does the LYE in the Let's Jam straighten your hair? I am going to have to keep my eyes peeled for this ingrident. Glad I stopped using that LONG ago. Never really liked it anyways.

I never noticed any straightening, my curls always came back, but I had only been using it for maybe 2 months (once or twice a week) before I caught on to the nail polish stripping so I don't know the long term effects on hair.

Neutrogena Triple Moisture Silk Leave in has it in there as well and I haven't noticed any straightning of my hair, it is low on the list for both products but it does exist in both products.

Yep, messed up my nails until I started using Seche Vite Dry Fast Top Coat. For some reason Let's Jam won't penetrate through that. Any other top coat, it's gummy and icky.

Proclaim has the traditional styling gel that's clear and has aloe. It's not supposed to flake. It's been so long since I've used it, I can't say for certain. I know it's alcohol free. Haven't used Elasta QP glaze for twists or bantu knots yet. It's so THICK, so it'll be interesting to try.

Interestingly enough, the ingredient causing the issue, potassium hydroxide, is also used as a paint remover. Just looked that up. I didn't even put two and two together until this thread! Huh. Too bad I used it yesterday! Alrighty then, will be throwing that out. Who knows what that stuff has been doing to my hair!

Seriously, who puts paint remover in hair gel?!??!

Yep, messed up my nails until I started using Seche Vite Dry Fast Top Coat. For some reason Let's Jam won't penetrate through that. Any other top coat, it's gummy and icky.

Proclaim has the traditional styling gel that's clear and has aloe. It's not supposed to flake. It's been so long since I've used it, I can't say for certain. I know it's alcohol free. Haven't used Elasta QP glaze for twists or bantu knots yet. It's so THICK, so it'll be interesting to try.

Interestingly enough, the ingredient causing the issue, potassium hydroxide, is also used as a paint remover. Just looked that up. I didn't even put two and two together until this thread! Huh. Too bad I used it yesterday! Alrighty then, will be throwing that out. Who knows what that stuff has been doing to my hair!

Seriously, who puts paint remover in hair gel?!??!

For a dry bantu knot out I don't know if a gel would work because the hold would be too strong and make tight curls instead of waves.

I'm surprised I still have hair after using this stuff. The crap that they put in products is insane. I'm actually glad it peeled my polish-- that just let me know what it was probably doing to my hair. I would imagine that it was drying my hair, but I wouldn't have known until much later becasue its so greasy.:ohwell:

Just a thought: Could it have been hard water causing your nail polish to chip since las vegas, I would believe has hard water? I know hard water can be the culprit in finger nail polish chipping.

Just a thought: Could it have been hard water causing your nail polish to chip since las vegas, I would believe has hard water? I know hard water can be the culprit in finger nail polish chipping.

It wasn't chipping--it was peeling off. Like if you were scraping a crayon with your nail. I could rub the polish off with a napkin. Lets' Jam actually softened the nail polish and lint and dust would stick to it.

You are so so so pretty!!! And that bantu knot out is flawless!

Sorry, I don't have any replacement suggestions. Just wanted to say that :blush3:

I'm so happy you said somethingg because I thought I was going crazy. I would look down and my nail polish would be gone, vanished. I was just like what in the sam H-E-C-K is going on! When I described this to people, they were like what are you talkin about? :wallbash:

Thank you for all the quick responses ladies, I knew you would have suggestions!:grin:

Whoa! That's pretty scary! I don't use that gel but I'm curious to know why this gel does that.

Wow ... I used to use this stuff religiously back in the day. Let's Jam was the only thing that smoothed my 4b edges.

What if you tried misting your hair with distilled water and put a little coconut oil or serum on it before bantu'ing it up.

:nono::nono: I am in shock and disbelief...Let's Jam is one of my staple gel products...I feel like Florida Evans when she found out James died on Good Times:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Yep! I used this stuff religiously back in the day. I never wore fingernail polish though. When I would, it would peel off. I never made the connection until just now.

And yes, it was super greasy!! Lots' of buildup. I liked the way it laid my hair down though....

wow, that's interesting. and to think, i use to use lets jam to get a really smooth flat iron. My hair may still be in shock years later. What about using QP Elasta or IC Fantasia, they have pomade/gel like products with the same consistency.

Back