Did I Mess Up???

pattyr5

Hello Ladies, need opinions here. On Saturday, I washed my hair and used Aphogee 2 Mintute Reconstructor a leave in and air dried. I wanted a a straighter look so, I tied my hair in a scarf after using some S-curl moisterizer and sealing with castor oil and sweet almond oil then left it until the next morning. Still not satisfied, I decided to flat iron my hair and I used Chi Silk Infusion (first time). The results were fine but my ends felt dry and crunchy, like I had hair spray in it. So, I'm wondering was it the flat ironing or the conbination of products that I used? I continued to moisturize and seel, but they still don't fell right. Do I need to cut?

Attachments

• IMG_5591.JPG
    IMG_5591.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_5602.JPG
    IMG_5602.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_5592.JPG
    IMG_5592.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 61
Some people flat iron with oil and some without. Seen great results with both, so I'm undecided with that one.

The biggest problem imo is the S-curl. It has lots of glycerin I believe. Which attracts water. Not the type of thing you want to use for flat ironing.

Some people flat iron with oil and some without. Seen great results with both, so I'm undecided with that one.

The biggest problem imo is the S-curl. It has lots of glycerin I believe. Which attracts water. Not the type of thing you want to use for flat ironing.

The S-curl was in my hair from the night before, I didnt use it to flat-iron. My hair was protected with th Chi Silk. Hmmm.

What she ^ said. The only time I have gotten away with flat ironing hair with oil in it is when I use shea butter and even then it has to be a day or so old.

glycerin regardless if used the day before is moisture based & oil to me is a no-no b/c I equate that to frying chicken.

it's best not to use a lot of products when flatironing imo.

So, I should be flat ironing my hair with only the Chi in it? What other products are safe to use?

I'm happy to report that my hair is better after conditioning...yay!

Personally I would not have used the oil or the S-curl.

As far as flat ironing with the CHI only, that might be better, but some people don't consider it to be a true heat protectant. I love the way that stuff smells.

Maybe it's the Aphogee? As far as I know it wasn't intended to be used as a leave-in. Maybe it's the protein affecting your ends if that's possible

The Aphogee Reconstrurizer(sp?) is safe to use as a leavin treatment. I also agree that the S-curl may have caused the problem.

wow, i'm sorry this happened to you. :grouphug3:

what kinda sucks about the whole situation is that it could be any number of things that contributed, since you used so many different products. good news is, i don't think this will cause your hair long term damage. so hang tight till your next wash day, and just do an ultra moisturizing DC then.

If I know im going to be flat ironing my hair I use a coney conditioner in the shower followed by a coney serum as a leave in so I can be sure its well protected. I don't play when it comes to hair so (IMO) any oil before flat ironing is a nono. When it comes down to basic science heat plus oil is never a good combination... unless you trying to cook something! lol

Also if im not mistaken apHogee is a pretty hard protein, so maybe that caused some additional dryness?

But no worries! Hair damage is caused by healthy hair HABITS. So a small mistake here or there shouldn't set you back too far, as long as you don't make habits out of them.!

I have never heard Aphogee 2 minute Reconstructor being used as a leave in. Do the instructions not say to rinse it out any more? Or is there a new formula?

Its technique.

I agree with not using all those oils.

But I would try the comb chase method to get the ends to not be as crunchy. I found that doing an overnight DC, and waiting a day before flat-ironing, like lightly blow-drying or wrapping overnight can help. WestNDNBeauty has a nice YT video on this. Its too hot here in FL to straighten, but I did everything else, and my hair got pretty straight....Had I flat-ironed it would have been bone straight!
Don't cut it either...Its just crunchy ends...not split....Avoid a set back.

I have never heard Aphogee 2 minute Reconstructor being used as a leave in. Do the instructions not say to rinse it out any more? Or is there a new formula?

Ok, my bad...in the original post I mean to say that I used the Aphogee 2 Minute AND a Leave in. The Aphogee was rinsed out and then I used an Aphogee leave-in ....I think it is called Pro-Vitamin Leave in.

I was really thinking it was the Chi...but only because I never used it before.

If I know im going to be flat ironing my hair I use a coney conditioner in the shower followed by a coney serum as a leave in so I can be sure its well protected. I don't play when it comes to hair so (IMO) any oil before flat ironing is a nono. When it comes down to basic science heat plus oil is never a good combination... unless you trying to cook something! lol

Also if im not mistaken apHogee is a pretty hard protein, so maybe that caused some additional dryness?

But no worries! Hair damage is caused by healthy hair HABITS. So a small mistake here or there shouldn't set you back too far, as long as you don't make habits out of them.!

Maybe it's the Aphogee? As far as I know it wasn't intended to be used as a leave-in. Maybe it's the protein affecting your ends if that's possible

I definitely think it was the Aphogee. It's a strong enough protein that should be washed out.

ITA about the Aphogee....

ETA: I think we were posting around the same time, but I just saw your update pattyr5. I'm glad you rinsed the Aphogee out :)

Last edited:
maybe you needed more moisture after using the Aphogee treatment. It is a hardcore protein. Try a moisturizing DC but i wouldn't reach for the scissors just yet

Back