Did I just buy BOOTLEG Shea Butter

Misstacie

I'm only on my third batch of unrefined shea since going to all-natural products in Oct. '09. My first batch of pure unrefined worked great. Then I read that scary warning by that company that claims to be one of the only regulated Shea companies. (There butter costs 3xs that of others). They talk about how other butters may contain bacteria and toxins etc. Their butter is good, but I don't see that I need to spend that to use it on my hair. Perhaps I'll con't to use it for my face only.

Anyhoo, I bought the last batch through Amazon from HalaEveryday. There shea was really cheap ($11/ 3 lbs.) It's extremely bright golden yellow. I think if you turn off the lights, it would glow. I have read that this may be natural coloring or indicative of additives, or the butter is old or rancid. The consistancy is similar the first batch of shea but a little softer. The nutty smell is there. There's no grit. However, my hair seems to need much more of it and it does not get silky and moist like the first batch. I'm so paranoid now. I don't think I'll buy from this place again.

I'm wondering if anyone is familiar w/ this company and what their experience has been.:blush:

TIA

I have seen bright golden yellow shea, but if your hair isn't acting the same something must be different. I would stick to what you know.

I'm only on my third batch of unrefined shea since going to all-natural products in Oct. '09. My first batch of pure unrefined worked great. Then I read that scary warning by that company that claims to be one of the only regulated Shea companies. (There butter costs 3xs that of others). They talk about how other butters may contain bacteria and toxins etc. Their butter is good, but I don't see that I need to spend that to use it on my hair. Perhaps I'll con't to use it for my face only.

Anyhoo, I bought the last batch through Amazon from HalaEveryday. There shea was really cheap ($11/ 3 lbs.) It's extremely bright golden yellow. I think if you turn off the lights, it would glow. I have read that this may be natural coloring or indicative of additives, or the butter is old or rancid. The consistancy is similar the first batch of shea but a little softer. The nutty smell is there. There's no grit. However, my hair seems to need much more of it and it does not get silky and moist like the first batch. I'm so paranoid now. I don't think I'll buy from this place again.

I'm wondering if anyone is familiar w/ this company and what their experience has been.:blush:

TIA

Hi, I can not vouch for the quality of the shea butter that you purchased. But several ladies from LHFC have had success with Butters n Bars: http://www.butters-n-bars.com/

Maybe you should either discontinue use of the Amazon order (and contact Amazon for a refund, they are really good about that) or use it on your body and not your hair.

Thats refined shea.

unrefined is a light yellow..the deeper yellow unrefined shea has palm oil all in it..

No it should not have palm oil in it. There are some fakes that add it(palm oil), but it is a root that is infused into it the shea butter to make it yellow.

i hear that bright yellow shea butter is mixed with palm oil.
my hair loves loves loves shea butter. i use both the tanish color and the bright yeallow color. i use the yello one to mix with oils(since i believe it already has palm oil in it) and i use my tan colored one straight.
i get my tan shea butter for buttersnbars and/or texas natural supply

ive also read around the internet that shea butter can naturally range from tan to a light yellow. but it should never be bright yellow or it is clear something was added.

The shea butter my mom buys is from the check cashing place is yellow:blush:. I use it sometimes, it makes my hair soft:yep:. if you don't like sent it back if you can. hth

Maybe it's this butter:

Kpangnan is the butter from the African Butter Tree (Pentadesma butyracea), and has been sold in the west under the name of Golden Shea Butter or Yellow Shea Butter.

In fact, the African Butter Tree is a completely different species of tree that grows along the rivers in central Togo. Shea trees grow in the open savanna. In contrast, African Butter trees grown in the dense gallery forests along the rivers and streams where water is abundant. Kpangnan is the local name in central Togo for this butter, which is used for traditional skin care. While this butter is popular because of its bright yellow color, its unsaponifiable value is not as high

11687343901631677711541.jpeg

I bought some "golden" shea butter from a lady at a kiosk in our bx one day and noticed that it looked powdery in the jar, but when I touched it it felt just like shea butter. I tried to research online andI think it was this butter instead of shea.

I really couldn't tell the difference between this butter and shea butter, but I only use them on my body.

I bought some bootleg shea butter...im calling it bootleg because it smelled EXACTLY like cocoa butter . It was a tannish color too and i got a big ole container for 5 dollars from a street vendor.

:look:

I just got some RA Cosmetics 100% Pure Shea Butter and its almost white (I guess). We'll see how it makes my hair feel.

I've read that unrefined shea butter is supposed to be an ivory/whitish color or I guess u guys say tan. I buy mine from texasnaturalsupply. This was the first company I ordered all of my essential oils, coconut milk, egg yolks, and everything from.

In Houston we spotlighted the Carribean during International Fest last month. All of the Africans that were selling shea butter attested that the bright yellow butter (looks like popcorn butter) contained palm oil. Unrefined has a certain color and smell and thats what I look for. Perhaps you can use the yellow one for the soles of your feet and stick to unrefined for your hair.

Back