Did Giovanni Smooth As Silk Change Their Ingredients?

*Muffin*

A couple of weeks ago I ordered a gallon of the Giovanni Smooth As Silk conditioner on line, and it had the bomb ingredients :yep:. But when I went to the health food store with my friend and looked at the ingredients to the smaller version, the ingredients were #1 very different from the one I have and #2 contained questionable things :perplexed. I still like Giovanni, but I want to know what's up. I swear their conditioner works miracles on my hair, and if they've upped and changed the ingredients on me I'm afraid they won't work as well as they have been working :nono:.

PS. I also checked the ingredients to their nutrifix reconstructor and the direct leave-in, and they stayed the same, so this is why I'm hoping that someone made a typographical error when posting those questionable ingredients on the SAS conditioner in Whole Foods :look:.

yes. giovanni changed the ingredients for the smooth as silk and the 50/50 conditioner.

50/50 conditioner old ingredients:
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Water, Rosemary Oil, Nettle Oil, Thyme Oil, Birch Leaf Oil, Chamomile Oil, Clary, Lavender, Coltsfoot Leaf, Yarrow Oil, Mallow, Horsetail Oil, Soybean Protein, Vitamin E, Acetamide MEA, Cetyl Alcohol, Trace Minerals, Citric Acid, Sodium Hydroxymethyglycinate, Grapefruit Seed[/FONT]

50/50 conditioner new ingredients:
Aqua (purified water) , rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf extract, urtica dioica (nettle) extract, thymus vulgaris (thyme) extract, chamomilla recutita (matricaria) extract, salvia sclarea (lcary) leaf extract, lavendula angustifolia (lavender), tussilago farfara (coltsfoot) flower extract, achillea miliefolium (yarrow) extract, seed extract, cetyl alcohol, stearyl alcohol, glycerin, brassicamidopropyl dimethylamine, panthenol, cetrimonium chloride, cetearyl alcohol, hydroxypropyl guar, behentrimonium methosulfate, polysorbate 60, citric acid, disodium EDTA, ethylhexylglycerin, phenoxyethanol, fragrance with essential oils.

smooth as silk old ingredients:
Aqua (purified water) with *rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis) oil, *nettle (Uritica dioica) oil, *thyme (Thymus vulagris) oil, birch leaf (Butela alba) oil, *chamomile (Anthemis nobilus flower) oil, *clary (Salvia sclarea), *lavender (Lavandula angustifolia), *coltsfoot leaf (Tussilago farfara), *yarrow (Achillea millefolium) oil, *mallow (Malva sylvestris), *horsetail (Equistetum arvense) oil, *soybean protein (Glycine soja), cetyl alcohol (plant derived), stearalkonium chloride, tocopherol (vitamin E), trace minerals, citric acid (corn), sodium hydroxymethyglycinate, grapefruit seed (citrus derived).

smooth as silk new ingredients:
(i will buy a bottle of the new formula today and update the ingredients)

some formulas have changed. it's not a typo. giovanni repackaged their products. the old packages have a leaf on the bottle and the new packages have dots on the bottles.

old
old50.jpg

new
newgio.jpg

the names are different too. the old 50/50 balance remoisturizer vs. the new 50/50 hydrating calming conditioner. the old smooth as silk deep moisture vs. the new smooth as silk deeper moisture.

i have used both the old and new formulas of the 50/50 and the smooth as silk. the new ones work slightly better but there is not much difference.

I'm so glad you asked this Muffin, i was wondering if the direct leave in had been changed also.

I had used the old formula and liked it then i went to get another one and first thing was the packaging had changed then i looked at the ingredients i asked the lady at whole foods if this is the same thing and it is but they gone and changed it. My hair is in braids and there is no way i'm wasting it on extensions so when it comes out i am going to test the new formula!

some formulas have changed. it's not a typo. giovanni repackaged their products. the old packages have a leaf on the bottle and the new packages have dots on the bottles.

Thats what threw me the dots!!! :lachen: I knew something wasn't quite right but as i'm new to using it i was thinking whats changed........

Well i hope the new ingredients work better.

I'm so glad you asked this Muffin, i was wondering if the direct leave in had been changed also.

I had used the old formula and liked it then i went to get another one and first thing was the packaging had changed then i looked at the ingredients i asked the lady at whole foods if this is the same thing and it is but they gone and changed it. My hair is in braids and there is no way i'm wasting it on extensions so when it comes out i am going to test the new formula!

the ingredients in the direct did not change.

yes. giovanni changed the ingredients for the smooth as silk and the 50/50 conditioner.

50/50 conditioner old ingredients:
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Water, Rosemary Oil, Nettle Oil, Thyme Oil, Birch Leaf Oil, Chamomile Oil, Clary, Lavender, Coltsfoot Leaf, Yarrow Oil, Mallow, Horsetail Oil, Soybean Protein, Vitamin E, Acetamide MEA, Cetyl Alcohol, Trace Minerals, Citric Acid, Sodium Hydroxymethyglycinate, Grapefruit Seed[/FONT]

50/50 conditioner new ingredients:
Aqua (purified water) , rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf extract, urtica dioica (nettle) extract, thymus vulgaris (thyme) extract, chamomilla recutita (matricaria) extract, salvia sclarea (lcary) leaf extract, lavendula angustifolia (lavender), tussilago farfara (coltsfoot) flower extract, achillea miliefolium (yarrow) extract, seed extract, cetyl alcohol, stearyl alcohol, glycerin, brassicamidopropyl dimethylamine, panthenol, cetrimonium chloride, cetearyl alcohol, hydroxypropyl guar, behentrimonium methosulfate, polysorbate 60, citric acid, disodium EDTA, ethylhexylglycerin, phenoxyethanol, fragrance with essential oils.

smooth as silk old ingredients:
Aqua (purified water) with *rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis) oil, *nettle (Uritica dioica) oil, *thyme (Thymus vulagris) oil, birch leaf (Butela alba) oil, *chamomile (Anthemis nobilus flower) oil, *clary (Salvia sclarea), *lavender (Lavandula angustifolia), *coltsfoot leaf (Tussilago farfara), *yarrow (Achillea millefolium) oil, *mallow (Malva sylvestris), *horsetail (Equistetum arvense) oil, *soybean protein (Glycine soja), cetyl alcohol (plant derived), stearalkonium chloride, tocopherol (vitamin E), trace minerals, citric acid (corn), sodium hydroxymethyglycinate, grapefruit seed (citrus derived).

smooth as silk new ingredients:
(i will buy a bottle of the new formula today and update the ingredients)

The ones in red are the ingredients in my SAS conditioner. The new one now has butylene glycol (I have a thing about glycols :nono:). This really stinks. I was hoping that they wouldn't join the bandwagon of ingredients changing, but it seems that they are getting like everyone else, sacrificing quality for cheaper ingredients :nono:. They aren't as bad as most companies, but who knows how much they will change in the future.

Yeah, the nutrifix reconstructor and the direct leave-in are unchanged...for now, lol.

Thats what threw me the dots!!! :lachen: I knew something wasn't quite right but as i'm new to using it i was thinking whats changed........

Well i hope the new ingredients work better.

The nerve they have! Changing the leaves to dots and that's somehow supposed to let us know that they've up and changed the ingredients? I hate when cosmetics/beauty companies do this. I seriously want to write a letter to them and let them know that I'm unhappy with this change. As a consumer my voice deserves to be heard! (I get emotional over my conditioners :grin:)

I just received my bottle of Giovanni SAS Deeper Moisture Conditioner (the new one). These are the ingredients:

Aqua (Purified Water) with *Rosemarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Extract, *Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Valencia Orange) Extract, *Mangifera Indica (Mango) Extract, *Cymbopogon Schoeanthus (Lemongrass) Extract, *Ginko Biloba Extract, *Echinacea Angustifolia Extract, *Salix Alba (Willow Bark), *Macrocystis Pyrifera (Sea Kelp) Extract, *Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Leaf Extract, *Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavendar) Extract, *Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Extract, *Glycine Soja (Soybean) Extract, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Centrimonium Bromide, Butylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Fragrance with Essential Oils.

I hope it works better.

As a consumer my voice deserves to be heard! (I get emotional over my conditioners :grin:)

I feel exactly the same:yep:

I was just about to phase out my Elucence MB Conditioner for Giovanni's Smooth as Silk. Now I have to rethink that decision.

I was just about to phase out my Elucence MB Conditioner for Giovanni's Smooth as Silk. Now I have to rethink that decision.

I've never tried the new formulation, but the older one leaves my hair feeling like pure silk. I love the stuff. Best conditioner I've used so far. The slip is unbelievable (and it doesn't even have any cones). If you don't mind glycols then I guess the newer version is worth the try. If it's anywhere near as good as the old version you'll love it :grin:. But it is worth thinking over.

Bumping this old arse thread! Has anyone seen products similar to this old GSAS ingredient list?!?
I'm having flashbacks to when this conditioner was everything!!:cry3:

Bumping this old arse thread! Has anyone seen products similar to this old GSAS ingredient list?!?
I'm having flashbacks to when this conditioner was everything!!:cry3:

I don't know what it was like in 2008, but I've been using it for about 3 or 4 years and my hair loves it.

I bought a gallon of this late last year and this is what I have been using. Here are the ingredients on the container:

Aqua (water), Cetyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol *Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Leaf Extract, *Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Valencia Orange) Extract, *Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Fruit Extract, *Cymbopogon Schoenanthus (Lemongrass) Extract, * Echinacea Prupea Extract *Ginkgo Biloba Extract, *Glycine Soja (Soybean) Seed Extract, *Lavendula Angustifolia (Lavender) Extract), *Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, *Macrocystis Pyrifera (Sea Kelp) Extract, *Mangifera Indica (Mango) Extract, *Salix Alba (Willow Bark), Butylene Glycol, Cetrimonium Bromide, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylgycerin, Hydrolized Soy Protein, Natural Fragrance

*USDA Certified Organic

I bought a gallon of this late last year and this is what I have been using. Here are the ingredients on the container:

Aqua (water), Cetyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol *Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Leaf Extract, *Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Valencia Orange) Extract, *Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Fruit Extract, *Cymbopogon Schoenanthus (Lemongrass) Extract, * Echinacea Prupea Extract *Ginkgo Biloba Extract, *Glycine Soja (Soybean) Seed Extract, *Lavendula Angustifolia (Lavender) Extract), *Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, *Macrocystis Pyrifera (Sea Kelp) Extract, *Mangifera Indica (Mango) Extract, *Salix Alba (Willow Bark), Butylene Glycol, Cetrimonium Bromide, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylgycerin, Hydrolized Soy Protein, Natural Fragrance

*USDA Certified Organic

Its crazy how they changed up the formula on everyone! Bruh if you think it gives you slip now..... you have no idea, lol. But then again everyone's hair is different. The old ingredients where

I literally still check every now and again to see if they changed it back but nope. I literally have not found anything that touched what this use to do for my hair!! Le Sigh.

Copy and paste the ingredients amd search that way. Giovanni formulations are sold under different brands.
Example, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle line is the same exact product as Giovanni tea Tree's line. Ingredients are exactly the same.

Its crazy how they changed up the formula on everyone! Bruh if you think it gives you slip now..... you have no idea, lol. But then again everyone's hair is different. The old ingredients where

I literally still check every now and again to see if they changed it back but nope. I literally have not found anything that touched what this use to do for my hair!! Le Sigh.

I can't even agree that they changed up the formula...it's a completely different product with the same name. I'm not even sure how a company can get away with doing that? :nono: But then again, how many people compare ingredients? (Myself included.)

I have found that if I really want to do a thorough detangling, I mix it with KCKT and some of my favourite oils and steam it into my hair. The best thing ever. But it sounds like I'm doing too much as compared to just using the original formula.

Back