Deva Cut while wearing twistout/braidout

BeautifulRoots

Has anyone ever had a deva cut with their hair in a twistout or braidout? I never wear wash n gos and I want a haircut to frame my face better while wearing twistouts/braidouts. Would it be okay to wear my hair in a twistout during the cut?

In February of last year, I got a Devacut while my hair was in a twistout. I don't have any after pics of what it looked like after it was cut in the twistout because she washed it soon after and I was left with a really short shrunken wash n go style.

I had a consult over the phone and the stylist said wear your hair however you normally wear it. I didn't end up going through with the appointment because she asked me repeatedly if I had a relaxer because "she doesn't do those." I don't know what she didn't understand about "no, my hair is not relaxed" but I didn't feel comfortable with her because of that.

Thanks for the replies! That helps ease my mind a little. Just a slightly concerned since I've never heard of anyone wearing twistouts or braidouts during their cut, just wash n gos.

Anyone else?

Thanks for the replies! That helps ease my mind a little. Just a slightly concerned since I've never heard of anyone wearing twistouts or braidouts during their cut, just wash n gos.

Anyone else?

It seems like the ones that go in with a wash n go style have looser hair textures. For instance, that taren916 girl comes to mind on YouTube.

I know if I went in with a wash n go style, the Deva cut stylist, no matter how much training she had, probably would not know where to start with my shrunken hair. My natural hair also does not shrink up into a nice shape so having it in a stretched style made me feel more comfortable with the stylist trimming it.

It seems like the ones that go in with a wash n go style have looser hair textures. For instance, that taren916 girl comes to mind on YouTube.

I know if I went in with a wash n go style, the Deva cut stylist, no matter how much training she had, probably would not know where to start with my shrunken hair. My natural hair also does not shrink up into a nice shape so having it in a stretched style made me feel more comfortable with the stylist trimming it.

My hair is 4a/3c (with a patch of 3b) and it shrinks up to my neck. :lol: I had a Diva Cut by a trained stylist and she actually did a pretty good job with my shrunken hair. She didn't take too much off. She knew how to pull each curl to trim and shape my hair.

It may be a little more difficult if you're more 4b than 4a though - I have defined curls without product so maybe that was her secret (she wanted me to come in sans product and dry). I would see if the person who's going to do your hair has experience with 4b.

My hair is 4a/3c (with a patch of 3b) and it shrinks up to my neck. :lol: I had a Diva Cut by a trained stylist and she actually did a pretty good job with my shrunken hair. She didn't take too much off. She knew how to pull each curl to trim and shape my hair.

It may be a little more difficult if you're more 4b than 4a though - I have defined curls without product so maybe that was her secret (she wanted me to come in sans product and dry). I would see if the person who's going to do your hair has experience with 4b.

Right. 4a/3c/3b is looser than my hair texture. From the pics I've seen of your hair, my hair is tighter coiled and shrinks up more than yours and it's an awkward shape without manipulation. :cool:

Plus, I also think the stylist I had was not very accustomed to 4a/b tightly coiled African-American natural hair...not even your hair type either. She seemed more like someone that was accustomed to Caucasian clients with textured curly hair. ;)

I always went to the stylist with my normal hair style, which is usually a twist out. I retwist it 2x/week maybe; it does turns into a bigger fro eventually.

I prob washed my hair a day or two before so my hair did have more stretch than an old twist out. Also they cut on dry hair and I didn't want to show up with dirty hair.

If your normal style includes a part, wear it that way too.

ETA: They do say come in with no product but that's not happening over here. :lol: I just go light on products

I did learn my one of my best tips there: Use conditioner as your leave-in. The stylist did that with my hair and I continue to do so as well. It was a game-changer for me. She might have cleansed 2x, can't remember. Cleanse/shampoo, rinse, apply conditioner and leave it in your hair. I think Deva tells people to rinse the condition out but leave some in the hair. Ehh. Easier to just use it as a leave-in.

If it's a dc week, then it's cleanse, rinse, dc, rinse, conditioner as leave-in. I use good moisturizing conditioners (but not as thick as a dc) for that last step.

Last edited:
Back