Detangling ...

AudraChanell

I am running the gamut with products for detangling. I am STILL having trouble.
wallbash.gif
I believe I heard something about Biolage Hair Balm on another post. I want a product that detangles and and happens to be very moisturizing. *(I am begging for trouble-PJ here)*

What product do you use to detangle?
How long does it take you to detangle your hair?

I've used salerm balsam proteinico, motions moisturizing, nexxus humectress, etc. I used Capillo's Honey and milk with a little olive oil yesterday.

AudraChanell, I have major tangling problems. My stylist told me that regardless to what shampoos I use, I should ALWAYS wash last with Crème of Nature conditioning shampoo to combat tangles.

I also found it very helpful to buy a gallon jug of inexpensive crème rinse from Sally’s. I literally just pour the stuff on and gently comb through (with a very wide-tooth comb). This has been very helpful for me, hope it is helpful for you.

Webby, I've been pooing and conditioning in the shower with my hair straight back and not piling my hair on my head. Even still, by the time I am finished detangling my arms are so tired. CON is reasonable! I will pick up a bottle a do my last poo with it and see what happens. Thanks!

Detangling for me as been more of a chore these days (even with my 'good' detangling products). I may just have to pick up a small bottle of CON Shampoo too. I remember how slippery it made my hair.

Audra, have u tried Pantene light spray detangler/leave in? If I saturate my hair with this, it makes combing a breeze as long as Im gentle,start from the ends up, and take my time. Also, I find I lose less hair when I dont try to detangle on soaking wet hair because when its just been rinsed and blotted its extra fragile. I usually put in some leave in and let it dry a little before secioning in 4 sections to detangle. I also find I lose less hair when Im not in a rush...

Im gonna have to get a rinse too...I heard one trick was to mix in a conditioning rinse with your shampoo and it helps to reduce tangles.

[ QUOTE ]
Leslie_C said:
Audra, have u tried Pantene light spray detangler/leave in? If I saturate my hair with this, it makes combing a breeze as long as Im gentle,start from the ends up, and take my time. Also, I find I lose less hair when I dont try to detangle on soaking wet hair because when its just been rinsed and blotted its extra fragile. I usually put in some leave in and let it dry a little before secioning in 4 sections to detangle. I also find I lose less hair when Im not in a rush...

Im gonna have to get a rinse too...I heard one trick was to mix in a conditioning rinse with your shampoo and it helps to reduce tangles.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've been using this product for a while. Right now, it just isn't doing much for my hair (past waist length).
ohwell.gif

Hey ladies. No, I havent tried Pantene light spray detangler. Thank God all the products mentioned so far are affordable! I will make a trip to the BSS and make my purchases before my next wash. Alandra-WOW, past your waist! That's wonderful!

[ QUOTE ]
Leslie_C said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Your method sounds just like mine except I ran out of Pantene a while back. Right now I'm impressed with Surge as a detangler
smile.gif

The technique you use is just as important (if not more) than what product you use. I'm transitioning so detangling is quite an event for me. I detangle in 4 sections, using Surge and sometimes a serum to add slip. I start at the ends and work my way up. The one thing I learned that really helps is not to let your ends fly free while you comb. Especially when you're up to the root. Hold onto the ends firmly and pull straight so the hair isn't swinging or flailing around. Use the comb like a pick, not actually combing down the lock of hair.

And if hair starts to bunch up as you're working your way down, forming a knot, immediately start combing BELOW the knot. I think what happens is that hair that isn't actually in the tangle gets sort of curled or ruffed up from the motion of the comb, and APPEARS to be knotted. But if you just keep on with the same motion it eventually becomes part of the tangle. If you comb below the knot as soon as you see it, any hairs that aren't actually tangled in the knot will straighten out and you can see where the real problem is.
Does that make any sense? Are you getting a visual? It's kind of hard to explain. Anyway once I started detangling like this I lost a lot less hair.
smile.gif

Black Cardinal, does Surge make your hair "hard"? I had to stop using it. Seems like my hair was stiff or something.

I use a couple other products on my hair after Surge so I can't really say. Maybe if I was only using Surge it would make my hair hard (?) Were you using it on wet hair? Did you use anything else? I always use a creamy leave-in for conditioning. Liquid leave-ins don't really do it for me on their own. I mainly use them for detangling.
Depending on how I plan on drying my hair, I use either Giovanni Direct leave-in or Profectiv RootHealth after I've detangled with Surge.

Re: Detangling ...Black Cardinal

BC, I was spraying it directly onto my scalp and noticed that my hair felt harder than normal. After about a week of use and attemping my rollerwrap with Surge and highly diluted setting lotion, my hair came out hard/stiff. I had to let it go. I wish I could use it! Seems like almost everyone is having a good experience with it. The way it made my hair feel, I could never imagine using it as a "detangler."

Re: Detangling ...Black Cardinal

It may just be something that doesn't agree with your hair
ohwell.gif
It happens.
I remember when LUST first burst onto the LHCF scene and everybody and their mother was in love with it. I finally gave in and tried it and it did the exact opposite of what it was supposed to do. My hair tangled up sooo bad. I've never had a conditioner do that before. It was awful. As much as I wanted to have amazing results with it, my hair just said
naughty.gif
So I moved on. You'll find something
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
AudraChanell said:
does Surge make your hair "hard"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Surge contains diluted protein. When I surge daily for a couple of weeks without washing my hair, the hair gets stiff and brittle. I have to use a moisturizing conditioner next wash.

BC and Megon, There is definately something in it my hair doesnt like. I wish I could use it
frown.gif
Especially if it delivers! Oh well ...
BTW Megon, I am going to try Biolage Ultra Hydrating Balm myself!

kenra MC detangles really well..
nexxus ensure detangles great but it's not very moisturizing (acidifying..)

Clairol Daily Defense Conditioner in Tender Apple is my fave detangler.It is worth a try since it is extremely cheap.I figure you would be able to find it in the grocery.

Audra, dont feel bad, after learning the hard way, Ive figured out Surge isnt for me either. I TRIED to make it work for me but every time I use it for a few days I notice and increase in hair loss. I tend to do protein treatments fairly often so I think it might be a protein overdose for me. It also irritates my scalp a littl bit and makes my hair dry. Ill just stick to scalp massages with regular oil and a few drops of rosemary oil.

Back