detangling with oil

whiteoleander91

stay at your best ♥
So in a thread I posted not too long ago...

---> http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=583255

...I noticed that the woman in the video detangled with oil. She didn't seem have much trouble combing through her hair. My curiosity was piqued! But I was afraid :sad: I usually drench my hair in conditioner before I detangle, so I was a little apprehensive about using an oil instead.

I bought some safflower oil (yesss, I keep mentioning this lol I just really like this oil :D) and did a light finger detangle in the shower first (with conditioner) juusst to make sure I didn't end up losing globs of hair. I rinsed, got out of the shower, and parted my hair into 4 or 5 sections. I applied the oil to each section and began at my ends and worked my way up to the root. What a difference!! The comb went through much easier and I didn't have any little broken hairs in the comb or on my hands. I was impressed! Not nearly as horrific as I had imagined. Plus, I was able to detangle faster than I normally can :D

I know this may not work for everyone, but if you are struggling with detangling, maybe give this a try :)

Are you saying u detangled with strictly oil only or conditoner then oil on top of that because I always detangle like that as well. I've never had a problem detangling like that because the oil adds soooo much slip that to me it doesnt' make sense to do it any other way. Also, my best friend always comes to me with her 4c hair matted because she's given up and it never fails, I can detangle her hair in less than 30 with water-aussie moist-and grapeseed or olive oil. I don't rip through her hair or anything because this combo works that well.

Last edited:
Strictly oil is....Idk if I could do that lol. I like oil rinsing with grapeseed oil to help get rid of the tangles but I can't imagine running the widest tooth comb on earth my hair in that state. I am willing to see how this work because this has me interested.

And! I didn't use globs of oil (should have put that in the OP). Maybe...a little more than a teaspoon? It kind of depended on the section though (I used a little extra on my harder to detangle sections)And I use oil as my leave-in anyway, so I just styled my hair like I normally would afterward.

Now I'm reading this I will give it a try. Detangling is the only thing in my method which I've got down. But I'd like to give it a try b/c I have oil in abundance.

I don't particularly like how oil feels when I apply it to dry hair but I can imagine it would give some slip.

Detangling with oil only works for me.

ETA: I apply oil to my dry hair and detangle without any issues. Rarely do I add any oil while in the shower.

Last edited:
I gave up detangling with conditioner months ago. I never did find a conditioner that gave my hair the slip most people speak of.

But when we talk about detangling with oil, I don't do it on dry hair. I apply the oil and at least mist my hair with water if I detangle prior to shampooing. It is the combination of the oil and water that helps my hairs to separate from each other.

If I do it after conditioning then I do an oil rinse or apply the oil after I rinse the conditioner and my hair just straightens out and pretty much detangles itself.

I wouldn't just put oil on my dry hair and try to detangle it.

I mix aloe vera juice and oil together and use it to detangle. I'm too lazy to mist first and then add oil :look:. That, I've found, is the fastest way for me to detangle my twists. I don't try to detangle with oil itself on dry hair either. I go through way too much conditioner to use that to detangle; aloe vera juice and oil is SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper, and works just as well or better, IMO.

I mix aloe vera juice and oil together and use it to detangle. I'm too lazy to mist first and then add oil :look:. That, I've found, is the fastest way for me to detangle my twists. I don't try to detangle with oil itself on dry hair either. I go through way too much conditioner to use that to detangle; aloe vera juice and oil is SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper, and works just as well or better, IMO.

:lol: And I'm too lazy to go get the AVG out of the fridge.

I detangle with strictly with just oil (my hair it saturated with water first). Sometimes i'll detangle and leave it in as a pre-poo. Works for me!

With my detangling process I like to mix my conditioners and oils together. The other day I went through my armoire and combined about four or five different conditioners into one big bottle (I don't fill it all the way to the top because I want to leave room for my oils). Then I added olive, castor, and almond oil to the mixture.

Talk about good slip, softness, and much easier detangling for me!:lick: My hair is a beast if I don't do that.:look:

Maybe I'll try using th oil alone on my next detangling session (probably today if I can psych myself into doing it). If I do, I will definitely be back with my review.:yep:

I detangle with just oil. I can only do it with conditioner if I let the conditioner sit as a prepoo for ten minutes. But just oil, no water, works for me. Or if I'm about to wash, I'll use grease on the tanglies. But just oil works for me

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF :)

oil detangling on dry or ever-so-slightly damp hair is the only thing that works for me.... w/o being in the shower for an hour

I'm another one detangling with oil on top of my conditioner. I've done it also with oil over my leave it, heck I did it the other after using my anita grant rhassoul conditioner.

My hair soaked it all up and is yummy feeling now.

I'm another who detangles with oil on top of my conditioner. Since I comb my hair twice a week, I'd like to minimize as much mechanical damage as I can, and the oil helps with that.

I have tried before to detangle freshly shampooed hair with EVOO alone, and while it did provide some slip, it wasn't as much as it would have been had I used a slippery conditioner with it. The 4a section of my hair wasn't having it.

Waves to pretty @Priss Pot

empressri You know I've been meaning to tell you that it's primarily because of you that I decided to go ahead and make myself a ceramide oil mixture to start applying to my hair. I've been using my mix for the past few weeks, and I'm in love. It's also because of you that I'm hooked on my Mason Pearson Combs (the wide tooth, detangling, and rat-tail combs), :nono:. I'm trying to get my hair on your level.

empressri You know I've been meaning to tell you that it's primarily because of you that I decided to go ahead and make myself a ceramide oil mixture to start applying to my hair. I've been using my mix for the past few weeks, and I'm in love. It's also because of you that I'm hooked on my Mason Pearson Combs (the wide tooth, detangling, and rat-tail combs), :nono:. I'm trying to get my hair on your level.

Priss Pot

Aww!!! :grin: I LOVE that oil mix!! I've already shared some with my bffs, SO's DD.

I cannot go on enough about that mason pearson combs. Besides the jilbere or my ouidad comb they are the only ones I use.

On my level PLEASE your hair is gorgeous!!!!

Thank you all for the responses! Yes, my hair was still dripping wet when I applied the oil. I had rinsed the conditioner out after I was done with my shower, stepped out, and clipped my hair in sections to apply the oil. I rewet my hair as I got to each section :)

Back