Detangling...tips needed

IMFOCSD

I realized that everytime I wash/condition my hair (which is about once a week) I get tangles galore and I feel that I lose too much hair. I only comb my hair once a week so I have a nice amount of shedding so maybe thats y it seems like alot of hair.

My hair is texlaxed and I will say that the closer I get to my scalp the more texture/wave there is and thats where the tangles happen.

Can you ladies give me any tips please...products, techniques, etc....

TIA :)

Have you tried dividing your hair into four or more section and washing and conditioning it that way? I've found that for me it decreases tangling while washing and therefore reduces the amount of broken hairs I find since I'm detangling smaller sections at a time and doing everything section by section.

Like @Onhergrind09, I also divide my hair into 4 sections on wash day.

Be careful not to manipulate your hair too much. For instance, after dividing it into 4 sections, my hair remains hanging downward throughout the whole process....poo, conditioner, rinsing, etc. Also, while rinising, I gently run my fingers down the length of my hair to remove a lot of the sheds. By the time I am ready to detangle with a shower comb, I have very few tangles. I wash once a week, as well.

HTHs

Onhergrind09 said:
Have you tried dividing your hair into four or more section and washing and conditioning it that way? I've found that for me it decreases tangling while washing and therefore reduces the amount of broken hairs I find since I'm detangling smaller sections at a time and doing everything section by section.

Onhergrind09 Hi thanks for responding :)

I do divide in four sections and detangle that way. I think I will take your advice and do smaller sections...I always get frustrated and impatient smh.

What products do you use?

prospurr4 said:
Like Onhergrind09, I also divide my hair into 4 sections on wash day.

Be careful not to manipulate your hair too much. For instance, after dividing my hair into 4 sections, my hair remains hanging downward throughout the whole process....poo, conditioner, rinsing, etc. Also, while rinising, I gently run my fingers down the length of my hair to remove a lot of the sheds. By the time I am ready to detangle with a shower comb, I have very few tangles. I wash once a week, as well.

HTHs

prospurr4 Hello :)

Thanks for the advice and I see that I should detangle on either soaking wet hair or hair w/conditioner. I always detangle after my hair has been towel dried..maybe thats my issue.

Detangling after towel drying :( doesn't work for most. The towel can cause even more tangles. Make sure you don't manipulate your hair too much (like piling on top of your head..that only works in commercials) and use a condish with a lot of slip to detangle soaking wet hair. I leave my condish on for about 5 mins before attempting to detangle. I know the hair is ready to be detangled when I can finger detangle easily. Then, starting from the ends, I gently detangle all the way up to the roots. Hth

@prospurr4 Hello :)

Thanks for the advice and I see that I should detangle on either soaking wet hair or hair w/conditioner. I always detangle after my hair has been towel dried..maybe thats my issue.

That is probably the problem (regarding the bolded sentence). I NEVER towel-dry my hair. :nono: For me, that is just asking for tangles. I allow my hair to drip-dry as much as possible.

Let us know how your next wash day goes. :)

I detangle before washing with a bunch of conditioner (Elucence MB) and I layer on an oil for more slip. I avoid more tangles by washing my hair in two halfs and I pull gently downward to keep new tangles at bay after I massage my scalp. This works perfectly for my 4A hair by I have a 1in in circumference 4b patch. That doesn't work for that patch and I have to go back at the end of it and gently comb that out with my leave in.

IMFOCSD- My favorite detangling conditioner is Aubrey Organics Honey Suckle Rose, but I use that when my hair is crazy tangled. Most of the time it doesn't matter what conditioner I use as long as it has slip. What I do is always apply the conditioner to the most dense area of my hair closest to the scalp and then I massage it into the length of my hair section by section (massaging it on for me greatly aids in detangling). I let it sit while I shower. Then I place my hair under running water and then and only then do I start to detangle from the ends up to the roots. I apply more conditioner or use my fingers to aid the untangling process as needed. I wouldn't suggest detangling towel dried hair. If you don't want to detangle in the shower I would suggest waiting till your hair is 80% dry and you've already applied your leave-ins and given them at least 20 minutes to soak into your hair before attempting to detangle...if you must do it that way. But I've found that shower detangling is what works best for me.

My hair is more textured at the root than the rest of the strand and most of my matting/knots occur around the scalp. I've found that detangling on dry but well lubricated hair has saved me a ton of hair. I gently pull strand by strand out from the base of the knot pulling up and away. At the end all I'm left with is the stupid shed strand that caused the mess to begin with! My hair is very fine, so wet detangling is just a mess for me. It took me 2 years to realize I need to detangle mostly on dry hair, but I see this being a great year for me now that I've figured it out. :yep:

I'm natural and I do it all in the shower. I detangle with conditioner still in it, rinse out then put my leave in. I twist it up, and wring out my hair with the twists still in. I let it dry some then put my oils in. This saves me a lot of time and a lot of pain. :)

Thank you everyone for the great advice!

I will be eliminating detangling on towel dried hair and I need get me some more conditioner too.

Back