Destination Wedding

Natural Glow

First of :dance7: for the wedding forum.
Anyway, has anyone had a destination wedding/planning a destination wedding now? We are planning on one in the Caribbean and are intrested in any advice and ideas. Some questions I have:

• Where was it (country/island?)
  • Where was the ceremony
  • What did your dress look like
  • What did he wear
  • Did you use a travel agent?
  • And most importantly, how was your hair
Any other info. would be great and pics :click: too if you wouldn't mind sharing.

Part 1)
BTW this thread is so much fun. I just feel like I had a scrap book as I placed all the pics here. Yay. It's a lot so enjoy! Hey you asked for pics:grin:

Yay! I'm having one, but you also asked for those planning one now. I've been constantly refining so my thoughts have changed as I've been engaged for half a year already (we changed our wedding date). Great and bad because it allowed me to change my thoughts on various things.

• Where was it (country/island?) It will be in Riviera Maya. Originally it was (also in the Riviera Maya) intended for Azul Sensatori, but I want fireworks. I'm not kidding:look: they don't allow them. So I switched to Grand Velas (kinda expensive but I've been negotiating some sweet deals for group rates that knocks it down tremendously). Also I can't tell you how much I dragged my heels. I knew what I wanted but didn't know how. I wanted
  • 1)a reasonable price (or to be able to negotiate because I didn't want someone throwing a "package" at me that is unchangeable) and really I get everything on sale and will always be that way. I don't see a point in paying $10,000- $12,000 for fireworks (hey they were offering that in Jamaica) when I can pay $1-2 thousand for the same effect for instance. I still want a platinum type wedding, but I want it at a discount Just like I get great clothes at a discount. Drives my fiance crazy as he wants me to just get it, and though he's paying I don't see a point in spending his money like crazy when we don't have to.
  • 2) fireworks.
  • 3)Luxurious surroundings
  • 4) Unique surroundings with lots of texture and great architecture and a great view of the beach. Why? Because I want the pictures to come out outstanding.
  • 5) Great food/Great service
  • 6) A really pretty dress
  • 7) Did I mention fireworks?:lol: I've been obsessed with fireworks since I was a kid (not just for weddings, I just love them).
  • 8) allowed for kids/ but had a section for adults only
  • 9) Had tons of amenities: water sports for the all inclusive rate, tours to the mayan ruins (which we'll do) and the sea turtle trip (which we'll do) Also you can swim with the sea turtles which I think is fun (I won't be swimming with them but I'll watch lol. I'm not a strong swimmer at all).
  • Where was the ceremony I'm negotiating that now. First I didn't want it on the beach but they have a cute set up where you shoes don't get sand on them. I know I know...what's the point? Well the libra in me cries out for a view of the ocean without sand in between my toes and on my wedding dress. here are some pics of the set ups they've done in the past.
So here's how they do it. It's like a platform out to the beach so no sand on the dress. They set it up in different ways depending on what you want as no two weddings are alike:

4170544694_c87932c8a9.jpg

images

another example of their wedding set up:

r8cwba.jpg

• ^^all the benefits of the ocean without the mess: notice how there's not only a platform so that you can walk in heels, but the guests have these brown mats underneath so that they don't get sand on their shoes. Because we're having a black tie this is a must. They can take their shoes off (we'll provide sandals) and then put them back on and go up the stairs to the elegant reception (er cocktail reception inside before going to the sit down dinner reception outside complete with band and dj alternating, and fire dancers)
Reception ideas:
string lights (not a pic of theirs but just to give an idea)

We will also have a lounge area for the cocktail reception with rental furniture (that adds to the vibe)

Not sure yet about the types of flowers. In another thread I provided an all white backdrop. But I also think it'll be fun to see splashes of color. Not sure how I will incorporate that.

Part 2

[BWhat will he wear[/B]Black tie all the way at his insistence (which is what I wanted so no argument). I like that it will add a different element than you normally see to pics like this (destination). It works with our theme :eek:ld hollywood marries in mexico and it plays on the contradictory vibe of relaxed luxury.

Meanwhile I show shots of their resort so you can see how anything here will probably be spectacular.

RESORT PICS (basically I love: nature, but also upscale surroundings, culture, and artwork, and flowers! This hotel seems to combine everything I like...it's kinda a contradiction like me [love beach, but hate sand on toes etc love to look at nature but love to retreat to luxury]).
Still working on how the reception will look. I had some ideas 6 months ago but I may want to incorporate splashes of color.

I just love that there will be tons of great pics around the resorts because it's elegant but still has a mayan influence...its upscale but still has nature, etc.

55188263_mx.jpeg

images

3655586644_e72ace2eea.jpg

5375897103_519593f606.jpg

5393738225_0f6fffde60.jpg

5385198346_b77171aab6.jpg

4728060294_f945444312.jpg

4728064574_bd6aaf46fd.jpg

3655589440_2b72996a84.jpg

5377683359_cbea4a61aa.jpg

3655589270_04e4c69588.jpg

3655495202_ed88f206e1.jpg

garden view:

3655588684_7ff2a8d554.jpg

3654698087_647b1687c5.jpg

3651565691_512df2519d.jpg

4128489525_c5a7752cdc.jpg

3654789855_33be79ca2a.jpg

What did your dress look like
My dress is being made. It's going to encorporate most everything from a dress I like that's no longer in production (limited edition) and it's going to have crystal halter straps (I added that idea) and also have a corset back (but with a closed flap...something I added for more modesty versus the original) and it's going to have a tie back (something else I added). Here's the design mockup that my seamstress made with my additions/changes, etc. Also it's going to be pure white instead of this off white color.

il_fullxfull.210001666.jpg

Oh and I love the fact that a bridal suite (is going to be thrown in for the price I'm negotiating. it's normally $80 an hour and this is what it includes (I'm probably going to get a massage and makeup. I'll bring my own hair stylist. But I think it'll be fun to have the ladies in there eating hor d' oeurves and getting their hair done) Here's what it says about the bridal suite:

Brides-to-be can feel at ease on their wedding day in the new bridal suite at the Spa Grand Velas Riviera Maya. The private suite gives brides the opportunity to be pampered, made up and newly coiffed right before they walk down the aisle. The suite’s featured amenities include a hydromassage bathtub with chromotherapy, hair and makeup chair, wedding gown closet and a multifunctional massage table. Brides can choose from 4 luxurious spa treatments known as “wedding rituals,” designed to alleviate pre-wedding stress.

Among the featured wedding spa rituals is the “Bride’s Dream,” a 240-minute spa treatment that includes a full body exfoliation with organic honey, a soothing flower petal bath, a lemongrass body wrap and an aromatherapy facial followed by a manicure and pedicure. Nervous mothers and bridesmaids can also indulge in relaxation with the soothing “Wedding Bells” spa treatment, which features therapeutic massage and a holistic facial. Other rituals include the 180-minute “Gorgeous Bride,” a calming spa experience featuring the Gotu Kola firming body treatment, and the “Tranquility Bride Experience,” a full-body exfoliation treatment followed by a pearl facial. The lavish bridal suite is available for a fee of $80 per hour, including refreshments and snacks for the bride and her wedding party. Hair styling and makeup services can be provided in the suite, with packages starting at $118.

About Spa Grand Velas Riviera Maya

The $15 million architecturally striking spa at the Grand Velas All Suites & SPA Resort Riviera Maya is inspired by the jungle and natural water pools of the Yucatan Peninsula. Mexican Architects Ricardo Elias and Alexis Elias of EliasElias AR preserved the stone, plants, and streams specific to the Riviera Maya landscape, and incorporated them into the curved, organic design of the two-level, 89,000 square-foot spa. The Spa Grand Velas Riviera Maya features 40 treatment rooms and suites complemented with Mexican and Balinese artwork and furnishings. Each treatment (of 50 minutes or more) includes the hour-long Water Journey, a relaxation ritual built around specially designed water-based facilities with a personal spa valet to provide guidance.

About Grand Velas All Suites & SPA Resort Riviera Maya

Last edited:
I am getting married in Barbados July 2011. We will be getting married on the beach. I am wearing a Pronovias gown. I am not using a travel agent. I use to work in the travel industry and know what to do to get what I want. :yep:

Here is my dress.
Okay so now I have to know how you're doing your hair. This dress is really simple, with clean lines, and gorgeous. could be really grace kelly (classic) or marily monroe/Dorothy Dandridge (classic but sexy) depending on what you're going for, or even very modern if you spin it as well. Spill what are you doing with your hair...or do you know yet.

Okay so now I have to know how you're doing your hair. This dress is really simple, with clean lines, and gorgeous. could be really grace kelly (classic) or marily monroe/Dorothy Dandridge (classic but sexy) depending on what you're going for, or even very modern if you spin it as well. Spill what are you doing with your hair...or do you know yet.

I will wear it pinned up, but then again I have not figured out what type of head piece I am wearing. :look:

My dress has just come in so I am going today to try it on.

Thanks ladies. luckiestdestiny I love that platform idea. I'm really short and he's really tall think Shaq and Hoopz :nono: ...Okay not that big of a difference but enough that I want to wear heels. This is the dress I want to wear. I want to see if the straps can be removed though.
2z8pxdl.jpg

xmpl4p.jpg

I found out it is a knock off of this dress by Maggie Sottero "Melanie"
of6afo.jpg

Which is fine by me because it will be dragging through the sand and I want to do trash the dress photos so I couldn't imagine getting an expensive dress dirty.

And last but not least I want to wear a veil like this
jz9umb.jpg

I'm not sure if it will go with the dress though

I am getting married in Montego Bay November 1, 2011.

I wanted St. Lucia or Barbados...but FI fell in love with Secrets St. James so we are going there. I am working with a travel agent....but we are not sure if it's worth the hassle. Any one have tips in tht regard?

I am still without a dress. I hope to finalize that withiin the next few weeks. I may go dress shopping Monday.

We picked Niagara Falls! :) kind of different... then we are thinking of going to Aruba afterwards for vacation. So it will be 2 destinations in 1.

Aveena Sounds like fun. I was actually looking at Niagra Falls because it's something so different but we decided to do it at a beach. What type of dress do you plan to wear?

Natural Glow this will be my second marriage so I will not wear white or a wedding gown. I think I will wear an off white suit with a bird cage veil. ~or~ a frilly sleeved (short sleeve) dress with pearls and some sort of flower in my hair??

I'm going back and forth between those two different looks.

This is sooo exciting!!!:grin:

We're planning a destination wedding in Virginia Beach.
It will be in the evening around sunset.

Our colors are seafoam green and white w/ gold.

My gown will be white, mermaid style( I have always liked that look).....he will be wearing a suit, not a tux.

I haven't figured out what we're gonna do about footwear; we both love shoes but we will be in the sand or in the grass:ohwell:.

For the reception:
I would like some island music w/steel drums and dancing under the stars would be nice:grin:.....
But I suppose a dance floor and some string lights would work.....

I still have to get my guest list together so I can plan for the food. I will have to check out the catering options in the area.

I'm thinking I want someone out there on one of those professional style grills like I saw them do in the Bahamas w/seafood and chicken, tropical fruits and veggies .....and plenty of rum!!!:lick:

I just want it to be a fun and relaxed atmosphere; it's gonna be nice and classy but not stuffy......we're gonna party and have a good time!

So I have pretty good idea of what I want for my destination wedding.

Right now, I'm checking out different packages to see what's available and at what rate.

Minx

I am getting married April 2011 in Negril Jamaica. I would love to hear from others who are getting married in the Caribbean. Hairstyles? Dress? Sandals vs heels?

Those who have done a destination wedding, how did it work out with family and friends? Did you have to give them a lot of advance notice, like a year or more? Were a lot of people not able to come because of the cost?

I have always toyed with the idea of doing something like that but I don't think I would have much of a turnout.

I'm in the process of planning a destination wedding. We haven't done much though since we've only been engaged for a week now. I actually want a destination wedding because I know it will have a smaller turnout. I really want an intimate wedding.

We are aiming for August 2012 but I don't think that will be enough time for people to prepare.

MizAvalon I've read that you generally give guests at least six to four months notice for a destination wedding.

Back