Deployed Chick Needing Help!!!

Cocoamoco

Ok so this is my first post. I am currently deployed to a veerrrry hot and very dry location. my hair is deffinitly suffering. The products that I usually use are not working. It seems like nothing is. My hair is very dry and crunchy. I have been co-washing daily. I tried to use my jeri juice like normal but my hair hates it. I have tried just oil and that did not work either. Now I have no place to get hair supplies here so I am getting my hubby to send them to me. But before I tell him what to send I need some input.

So do you ladies that live in super dry hot conditions have any suggestions for me? Or anyone whose been deployed know of what products work out here.

Any help is appreciated!!!

Hello! Ok so jheri juice usually contains glycerin which is a humectant (pull moisture, usually into your hair). In a dry, hot location you don't want to use anything that's a humectant because if there is no moisture in the air to pull from it (glycerin) will pull the moisture from your hair (into itself) instead. I would keep co-washing , try using water based and creamy leave-ins, and very light oils like jojoba (heavy oils will sit on top of your hair longer and fry in the hot sun/heat). You can also try baggying your hair at night if you can stand it. Good luck hon, I know what its like, I remember the last med I did in the middle of the freaking summer. UAE in July/August isn't pretty:nono::nono:

Last edited:
I will tell you the products that have done wonders for me. Keracare shampoo #1 and conditioner #2 (he can find it at JCpenny)- I follow up with Lacio Lacio leave-in (some beauty supply stores carry it or order online) and Chi thermal infusion. I roller set and wrap my hair and it feels like silk when I'm done. I've battled dry, stiff hair all my life and after lots of research on LHCF this is the combo that has turned my hair around. I have fine hair and I live in Florida. I hope this helps. Good luck.

I also clarify with neutrogena shampoo every three weeks (you can buy it at any major drug store).

OP are you relaxed or natural? when my natural hair was very dry, like you nothing I did seem to relieve it, I finally discovered that my hair was lacking protein, maybe lack of protein may be an issue.

I live in a hot climate and alternate between heat outside and drying air conditioning inside.

What's helping me now is JOICO Kpak reconstructor and JOICO moisture recovery, I deep condition with the reconstructor fortnightly and follow immediately with the moisture recovery with a teaspoon of salt added. (Thanks LHCF)

I would reduce the co-washing to once or twice a week and spritz for moisture with water and aloe vera juice added.
I also use a leave in on damp hair, I'm currently using American Crew (a leave in for men, don't know why this working but it is) and finish/ seal with Jojoba oil mainly on my edges and ends, style and am good to go. I no longer have thirsty hair.

At night I spritz with water, section and twist my hair into 6 to 8 sections with more leave in, if needed. I also baggy my ends more as an added protection. Heat and hair is no joke.:nono:

Girl,

I feel your pain! I got back from Afghanstan in February after being there for 5 months. Here is what you have to do:

Ship a BIG *** bottle of EVOO and Wheat Germ Oil (if Possible). This will be your BEST FRIEND while you are over there. I would prepoo overnight by saturating my hair in oil, putting on a plastic cap, then adding a turbie twist to secure. I would shampoo in the morning. Your hair will thank-you beyond belief.

Please trust me on this one. Your hair will be beyond soft and moisturized. I would have to do this religiously every 3 days to maintain proper moisture levels in my hair.

Good luck.

Taaliah Wajid Protective Bodifying Mist is AMAZINGLY moisturizing without humectants, it gives your hair the same feeling as the juices. It can be used as a leave-in and a daily moisturizer.

Also, Aubrey Organics conditioners are very moisturizing and heavy, so they have a long lasting effect without needing a heat source to deep condition (My favorite is White Camellia with Honeysuckle Rose as a very close second).

Lastly, maybe using a shampoo bar would be good instead of bottled shampoo, because the bars tend to be the gentlest and the least stripping poo method.

One more thing, do you have hard water?

afroveda products are glycerin free and are pretty moisturizing (i use the curl define butter for moisture not curl defintion) they make 32oz and one liter sizes in all thier products. if you want to do shampoo bars lots of ladies love chagrin valley and karens body beautiful. for shampoos/ condtuoners i rotate btw aubrey organics( j.a.y, gbp, white camellia, honeysuckle rose) and mill creek (keratin) vitacost.com has them super cheap. unrefined shea, castor oil, evco could be sealants on top of your water based moisturizers. good luck op, everybody is giving great suggestions.

Back