Demi or Semi Permanent Rinse Causing Breakage?

rwanda

Hello ladies I have a question for you all. I recently big chopped after cutting off my past shoulder length natural hair of 4 years due to uncertain hair breakage. I have checked off the list that it wasn't due to my household water, have moisture and protein balance, no health issue I am perfectly healthy (work out and take vitamins). I have dwindled it down to this, when I decided to go natural my arm pit length hair started breaking in long strands. I did a long transition and the 4 years of thick natural hair was wonderful until a few months ago it happened again. I worked and worked at it to no success so I decided to start over. The only thing I can think of that I have been doing when I was natural and relaxed was the semi permanent colors that I use on the new growth of my gray hairs. I know these semi and demi rinses aren't as harsh but they must still have something in them that may cause some type of breakage. The color is mixed with developer (clairol professional) and although it says no ammonia, it doesn't say no peroxide. Ladies help me out on this, what do you think because I may have to try something non chemical like henna and indigo. I just read a post on Curly Nikki that said semi and demi color can still be harsh on your hair. I have followed long hair care and other forums and used non harsh hair products (paraben free, etc). What do you ladies think?

I think it could be the cones. Some naturals are cone-sensitive. That's the only real issue I can think of. Many naturals color and maintain health with ease. Some have the very same issue you have.
I used to rinse religiously when I was relaxed. Now I am reluctant to do so. I tried once as a natural and my hair didn't damage, but my hair did have the same reaction it has whenever I go overboard with the cones. No matter what I did I suddenly had porosity issues like never before. Cones! My hair doesn't love 'em.:nono:

I used to use semi-permanent rinse. I stopped only because the color was not taking to my natural hair. I neve had breakage from it but eveyone's hair is different.

When there is mixing of a developer involved, I never trust. Those colors sometimes lighten your hair. There has to be some sort of bleaching agent for your hair to become lighter.

If I were you I would stick with a rinse in the purest form like a Jazzing or Sebastians Colorshine. Those products coat the hair with color (similar to henna) and rinses off as you wash your hair.

All this to say, the developer mix coloring may be your culprit. I think it is best that you treat your hair as if you used a bleaching agent. Protein + Moisture.

I never had breakage w/semi permanent rinses, but I have w/demi permament. On my hair, demi is just as damaging as permanent.

Last edited:
Demi permanent colors, I learned from an Aveda student, has lots of protein in them.
I like using them on top of my permanent color because they act as a top coat protectant, like nail polish.

What you should do is be sure to add LOTS of moisturizing conditioners and use no higher than a 10 vol developer.

Hope that helps.

I've always used Sebastian Cellophanes since 1994 with a relaxer. I've been natural since 2005 and my hair is right above BSL. I am still using Sebastian Cellophanes and never had any problems. (Sebastian Cellophanes is Peroxide and Ammonia Free).

When I was in the Beauty Supply, I saw that they had the Wella Rinses. I inquired about the product. The owner stated that some rinses can dry out your hair and she knew I always purchased the Sebastian Cellphane and stated that I should stick with what works for me.

I've used too many different types of semi and demi permanent colors but never experienced breakage from them. I think you should look into the brands that you have tried, as well as the possibility of cones as another has mentioned. With the demi permanents I have used, the developer is lower than 10 vol. I also do agree that just to be super safe, Sebastian Laminates is a great semi-permanent that many people have been successful with.

WestNDNBeauty I think I may try those before I try the Henna and Indigo. I don't want to keep having these setbacks.

Carsam I am really thinking that this could be the culprit. Now I know that someone else has experienced it. As a matter of fact my neighbor told me about the demi permanent color and she ended up going natural due to breakage, but I don't think she pinpointed the problem to the color.

Thank you ladies for your help and suggestions.

Last edited:
Back