demarcation line=damage to newgrowth..4 relaxed/transitioner heads

Nanyanika

i was just reading a post over on napputality about a lady who had recently bc'd all of her relaxed hair, she mentioned that she also a cut off 1 inch of damaged natural hair. this concerns me because of high possiblity risk of of the demarcation line causing damage to my natural hair.... i really do not want this to happen, since i'm planning a long transition and i hope for long healthy natural hair. i currently conditioner wash my hair daily in braids and do not manipulate my hair too often. has anyone experienced splits or any damage to their newgrowth or transitioing hair? what can i do to protect my newgrowth?

I'm not really a transitioner, just a stretcher but I find that protein treatments + deep moisturizing treatments + oil/moisture blend nightly makes my new growth practially not a problem.

bajanplums1 said:
I'm not really a transitioner, just a stretcher but I find that protein treatments + deep moisturizing treatments + oil/moisture blend nightly makes my new growth practially not a problem.

I agree with Bajan. Also Co-washes...

When I was transitioning, I noticed there were a few spots where my relaxed hair would split in the middle of the strand and it would start crossing over pass the demarcation point. I found that deep conditioning often and not manipulating my hair too much helped to prevent these. Also putting shea butter based products helped me a lot as well. By the time I chopped, I didn't have damaged areas.

nurseN98 said:
When I was transitioning, I noticed there were a few spots where my relaxed hair would split in the middle of the strand and it would start crossing over pass the demarcation point. I found that deep conditioning often and not manipulating my hair too much helped to prevent these. Also putting shea butter based products helped me a lot as well. By the time I chopped, I didn't have damaged areas.
Thanks, for responding you've put my mind at ease,, i will just continue with my normal routine, as it consists of lots of moisture.

That's why I have decided to use a blowdryer on my hair every 2-3 weeks to blend the two textures of my hair together. This is less stressful for my hair. When I airdried, I felt like I was causing more stress to the demarcation line which caused my hair to break.

Poohbear said:
That's why I have decided to use a blowdryer on my hair every 2-3 weeks to blend the two textures of my hair together. This is less stressful for my hair. When I airdried, I felt like I was causing more stress to the demarcation line which caused my hair to break.

I sooooo agree with this.

i think ur more likely to experience breakage and damage the more different ur natural hair texture is from the processed texture...some ppl go years with minimal breakage while others get breakage just stretching relaxers for a few weeks...

its possible but i think as long as u keep the manipulation down to a minimum, ur hair will not break anymore than it has to

bajanplums1 said:
I sooooo agree with this.
Using heat to match the textures may help, however it could also cause unecessary heat damage too, on both natural/relaxed hair, it also depends on the frequency/temperature of heat. i'm staying far away from the blowdrier, as long as i keep my hair braided and always detangle/comb when its wet, with product/water i should be okay.

lsubabiedee said:
i think ur more likely to experience breakage and damage the more different ur natural hair texture is from the processed texture...some ppl go years with minimal breakage while others get breakage just stretching relaxers for a few weeks...

its possible but i think as long as u keep the manipulation down to a minimum, ur hair will not break anymore than it has to
well my relaxed texture is 3a/3b and natural hair type is 4a/3c, so i know i will have more breakage because the textures are different. i'm hoping that braiding will help, along with products/technique.

den1 said:
well my relaxed texture is 3a/3b and natural hair type is 4a/3c, so i know i will have more breakage because the textures are different. i'm hoping that braiding will help, along with products/technique.

u might not...my natural texture is the same as urs and i hardly experienced any breakage during my transition...

regardless, i hope ur hair stays healthy during ur transition :yep:

So far, i'm over 4 months post relaxer....and i don't have much breakage at the demarcation line....hope it stays that way. thanks for your help.

lsubabiedee said:
u might not...my natural texture is the same as urs and i hardly experienced any breakage during my transition...

regardless, i hope ur hair stays healthy during ur transition :yep:

den1 said:
Using heat to match the textures may help, however it could also cause unecessary heat damage too, on both natural/relaxed hair, it also depends on the frequency/temperature of heat. i'm staying far away from the blowdrier, as long as i keep my hair braided and always detangle/comb when its wet, with product/water i should be okay.
Yeah, I've read about how bad and damaging heat is for our hair on the Nappturality site, but airdrying can be bad and damaging to our hair too.

I think it's all about the technique you use when you use heat or when you airdry. :yep: My hair happens to break and suffer from airdrying. Heat is my friend. :grin: I think my hair has mainly suffered from being relaxed.

Poohbear said:
Yeah, I've read about how bad and damaging heat is for our hair on the Nappturality site, but airdrying can be bad and damaging to our hair too.

I think it's all about the technique you use when you use heat or when you airdry. :yep: My hair happens to break and suffer from airdrying. Heat is my friend. :grin: I think my hair has mainly suffered from being relaxed.
ITA when i was relaxed with Fiberguard, airdrying caused my hair...but when my stylist straightened out my hair, i didn't get any breakage.

I just cut the remaining pieces of my texturized hair. I cut a total of 4 1/2 inches! :eek: I just couldn't take it anymore. I didn't have any damage at the demarcation line at all, but just to be safe I cut 1/4 inch off. Now my hair is about 10 1/2 to 11 inches long when stretched. I can deal with that. I had a bad texturizer and those straight pieces were killing me.

Den, are you going to stay natural or texturize again?

thickness said:
I just cut the remaining pieces of my texturized hair. I cut a total of 4 1/2 inches! :eek: I just couldn't take it anymore. I didn't have any damage at the demarcation line at all, but just to be safe I cut 1/4 inch off. Now my hair is about 10 1/2 to 11 inches long when stretched. I can deal with that. I had a bad texturizer and those straight pieces were killing me.

Den, are you going to stay natural or texturize again?
I'm currently growing out my texturizer, the stylists did all kinds of textures in my hair. its doing very well now, i'm hoping to do a shoulder-length cut in july.

bajanplums1 said:

ITA! I always stretch and even when I'm at 24+ week mark I don't get a lot of breakage, just shedding.

I think i posted to this thread already, but who knows. anyways if any of you have ever read cathy howse's book this is one of the myths she dispelled. i think that the theory makes sense IF you are not careful in handling your hair. But i do not think it justifies scaring people into chopping off alot of their hair. And to prove it, Cathy is transitioning and i saw with my own eyes how thick her hair was....even her ends. Her newgrowth was like 8inches long and her relaxed hair was like 12 inches long. (im not really good with measuring) but i could clearly see the 2 textures and all of her hair looked totally thick and healthy. So as long as you can take care of your hair and can deal with nurturing 2 textures. do not be swayed into believing that BC'ing is the only answer. Well just wanted to add my 2 cents, even though i am not a transitioner. :look:

Den1 u have very pretty hair. :)

hmm maybe she was talking about scab hair...it tends to be dry and brittle and non-responsive to products. it's not necessarily damaged from how you take care of your hair during the transition, but from your hair going through a stage of healing...but most peoplei've seen trim it away. however not everyone goes through the scab hair stage. i didn't...i feel that i didn't because i transitioned for so long. most people that i've seen who BC after a few months always have scab hair...

I'm a veteran transitioner (third time's the charm!) and I've NEVER experienced damage to my natural hair at the line of demarcation or the supposed scab hair. In contrast all of my natural hair right up to the line of demarcation is the thickest/healthiest/most moisturized part of my hair. I agree with everyone else that said low manipulation... no heat is also key for me. I stick to rollersets and braids outs, or the occasional airdried bun, with no problems.

I was also wondering about this last week. I had a lot of shedding when I took my weave out last week and I wasn't sure if it was breakage or just dead hair. It was actually less hair lost than last time but I had my hair weaved for like 8 weeks that time. This time it was only 5. I mean if the relaxed hair is breaking off, wouldn't that mean that there would be breakage on the natural edge that was on the other side of the break?

bmoreflyygirl said:
I was also wondering about this last week. I had a lot of shedding when I took my weave out last week and I wasn't sure if it was breakage or just dead hair. It was actually less hair lost than last time but I had my hair weaved for like 8 weeks that time. This time it was only 5. I mean if the relaxed hair is breaking off, wouldn't that mean that there would be breakage on the natural edge that was on the other side of the break?
I believe that i will have some damage near the demarcation line, because some of my relaxed hair has broken off epecially in my nape area.

den1 said:
I believe that i will have some damage near the demarcation line, because some of my relaxed hair has broken off epecially in my nape area.

I'm thinking the same thing. I'm scared now. :( My nape is really bad though especially on one side. It's been like that for a long time now. What are you doing to try and get your nape to grow back in?

bmoreflyygirl said:
I'm thinking the same thing. I'm scared now. :( My nape is really bad though especially on one side. It's been like that for a long time now. What are you doing to try and get your nape to grow back in?
I've been using Sulfur oil mix, co washes and keeping it braided. i've seen as part pf my nape section that broke to 1 inch its a type 2 two texture and is finer than the rest of my hair. i'm going to do some conditioning with protein once i remove these braids.

Back