Deep Penetrating Hair Moisturizers?

Mercie

I am in need of a hair moisturizer that won't coat my hair but, actually soften and moisturize it. Oh, and not leave the hair greasy.

I am using Shea Butter Green Tea Hair moisturizer by Sheen Carson ... I like it but, I feel like it doesn't penetrate and it just coats the hair.

Yeah, I've never been a bg fan of shea butter as a moisturizer for my hair either. Mainly because like you said, it sits on top of the hair and I suspect that it's because its molecules aren't small enough to penetrate the hair follicles. :ohwell:

But I did get that you wanted something deep penetrating but once it penetrated do you need one that is only slightly moisturizing or extra moisturizing? Do you also want it to be a leave in conditioner as well or just moisture only?

If you want basic moisture that penetrates and conditions at the same time, then I'd suggest BioInfusion's Olive Oil Leave In Conditioner. It's in a green and white bottle and they sell it at Walgreens.

If you want a moderate moisturizer that will also protect your ends but isn't necessarily a conditioner, I'd say Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship Split End Protectant might work as well. I get mine at Target but you might be able to find it someewhere else. It's in a pink pump bottle.

Lastly, if you need extra moisture I'd also think about Wave Nouveau's Finishing Lotion OR some coconut oil and an applicator bottle. Coconut oil for me doubles as a moisturizer and sealant. The only thing with that is that you'll have to make sure that you aren't heavy handed with it.

That's all I can think of for now so I hope you get many more suggestions! :yep:

What I would suggest is starting with a deep penetrating deep conditioner. I don't believe that there is a magic leave in moisturizer. If you can deep condition the correct way, your hair will become really soft and moisturized and, it should leave your hair moisturized for 3-4 days. That way you will only have to lightly coat your ends with an oil (EVOO, WGO, Castor, Coconut, etc).

I know it doesn't answer your question, but you will never need to get to that step if your hair is in a moisturized state before adding products.

What I would suggest is starting with a deep penetrating deep conditioner. I don't believe that there is a magic leave in moisturizer. If you can deep condition the correct way, your hair will become really soft and moisturized and, it should leave your hair moisturized for 3-4 days. That way you will only have to lightly coat your ends with an oil (EVOO, WGO, Castor, Coconut, etc).

I know it doesn't answer your question, but you will never need to get to that step if your hair is in a moisturized state before adding products.

YOUR HAIR TRANSFORMATION IS SIMPLY AMAZING:lick::lick::lick:

What I would suggest is starting with a deep penetrating deep conditioner. I don't believe that there is a magic leave in moisturizer. If you can deep condition the correct way, your hair will become really soft and moisturized and, it should leave your hair moisturized for 3-4 days.

ITA deep conditioning is the foundation for moisturized hair...finding the right moisturizer is really trial and error but I'd recommend Darcy's Botanicals Transitioning Creme

I would say Silk Elements Moisturizing Leave In Creme is AMAZING!!!

It really moisturizes my hair and it has no mineral oil, lanolin, or petroleum.

Thank you for all of the suggestions.

I do use a good deep conditioner that leaves my hair soft and silky but, after 4days-1week the hair is starting to feel dry and brittle. I just want a moisturizer that will revive my hair without making it greasy. Plus my hair is thin so, a heavy moisturizer is really not good for my hair.

Most of the suggestions I have received have oils in the products.. would that be too heavy for my hair?

Thank you for all of the suggestions.

I do use a good deep conditioner that leaves my hair soft and silky but, after 4days-1week the hair is starting to feel dry and brittle. I just want a moisturizer that will revive my hair without making it greasy. Plus my hair is thin so, a heavy moisturizer is really not good for my hair.

Most of the suggestions I have received have oils in the products.. would that be too heavy for my hair?

Hey girlie. Just my opinion, but that sounds EXACTLY like how my hair acts. Lemme tell you, there is nothing like a wash to revive your hair! You're hair might be telling you it needs to be washed again. I could be wrong, but do you have a problem with washing 2x a week? It might just be your answer, especially since your hair is thin and fine!

To answer your question, no. If your hair is already dry and thin, using an oil will only make your hair more dirty and stiff.... but if you're using it as a base for a prepoo..... I'm all for it!:grin:

Good luck either way!

Thanks!

I usually wash my hair once every 2 weeks but, lately I have been thinking about doing conditioner washes whenever my hair feels dry and, washing my hair with shampoo and conditioner once a week. Do you think that would help?

I have just been wary about washing the hair too frequently because, I didn't want the hair to be in a wet state too often and dry it out by washing it too much.

Thanks
I usually wash my hair once every 2 weeks but, lately I have been thinking about doing conditioner washes whenever my hair feels dry and, washing my hair with shampoo and conditioner once a week. Do you think that would help?

I have just been wary about washing the hair too frequently because, I didn't want the hair to be in a wet state too often and dry it out by washing it too much.

OMG Mercie. Yes, it will definitely help. You know how people say hair speaks to you? Well, it's definitely telling you that it needs to be washed more often. If you feel comfortable with conditioner washes, try it out and see how it works. Personally, I like my hair with a lot of body/movement, so I need to shampoo all the grime and oil out to achieve my flowy looks. I use a sulfate free shampoo 2x a week, but I also deep condition/prepoo 2x a week as well. Yes, it is a little time consuming, but soooo worth it to me and does not dry my hair out, actually it does the opposite.

Not all heads of hair are the same. Some people would be appaulled that someone would wash their hair twice a week OR even once every two weeks. Just listen to what YOUR hair wants, regardless of what is the "norm". My hair would NEVER make it to two weeks, it would tell me otherwise even if I tried! It will all depend on how much you are willing to sacrifice for your hair and it's appearance, the choice is yours..... but's it's definitely screaming that it's dehydrated! Let us know how your revamped regimen works out for you!:grin:

Added: Just remember if you up your washes, be mindful of using heat/alot of manipulation for your style. I use indirect heat (rollerset) to acheive my twice weekly look. If I were blowdrying/flatironing twice a week, I would NEVER achieve the length that I wanted. If you stick with washing 1x a week/every two weeks, you might need to moisturize and just place in a bun/protective style

Last edited:

I firmly believe this. I think the real moisture starts w/ good deep conditioning. That really does turn your hair around and leave it soft and moist... deep conditioning and using a good leave in. Within that week, I think a water based moisturizer if needed on your ends will help too, but I think well conditioned hair is the foundation of moisturized hair to start with.

Reecie just gave the BASIS of excellent hair practices......GOOD NIGHT! :clapping::clapping:

That foundation is so crucial and I wish more LHCF girls would take this sound advice. It would completely halt many of the "setbacks" "rants" "vents" that we read and sympathize with; as well as the problems with pj'ism (I'm just saying):wasntme: that the ladies struggle with.

I'm so happy Reecie responded to your post, and I hope it is able to really assist so many of us who wonder why "why is my hair so dag on dry?!"

Of to DC and rollerset.:cowgirl:

Thank you so much!

That is really good advice. I used to rollerset but, my hooded dryer broke and when I tried letting the rollerset airdry it was still damp after several hours.
I started airdrying my hair and then flat ironing it but, like you said that wouldn't be a good idea especially if I start washing my hair once or twice a week.

What kind of rollers can I use that won't require me to be under a hooded dryer?

I shampooed and deep condition my hair. I did a rollerset which I had to air dry for around 3-4 hours and blow dry for 5 minutes. (My hooded dryer broke. -_-) I didn't really like the results.. the ends of my hair were not as smooth as I would've liked so, I ended up flat ironing on medium heat. My hair feels very silky, bouncy, and soft. :)

I have decided not to trash the Shea Butter Green tea moisturizer because, it is really good for moisturizing my edges.

Attachments

• P1060765.jpg
    P1060765.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 19
  • P1060767.jpg
    P1060767.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 17
  • P1060769.jpg
    P1060769.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 14
  • P1060770.jpg
    P1060770.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 17
Nothing like a good deep conditioning!:D

With my short attention span i try to get at least 30 minutes in...but i find my hair stays moisturized longer when i let it sit for an hour or more...even overnite:yep:

But i've discovered that a good leave in conditioner can get you over the 1 week hump...like when you're wearing your hair straight for the week...however i think i'm conditioned(no pun intended:laugh:) to believe i NEED a moisturizer.

make sure your ends are really wet - you can use a silky leave-in or foam wrap lotion, comb w/fine tooth comb and smooth over the roller with your finger. The ends of the hair will lay down this way.

Good advice, thanks! I didn't add a whole lot of add ins because, I didn't want to extend the drying time but, now I realize that I was just doing more harm then god.

I agree with Reecie. If you are drying out after 4 days (which to me seems normal) just rewash. Because I have to wear hats every day I am on that same cycle. I wash on Sunday and need to rewash on Thursday. I think putting extra product in your hair at your 4 days mark is not the best option.
My favorite moisturizer is SheScentIt Jojoba Hair Milk. Goes on like a cream but the warmth of your hands/head melts it into your strands and make them shiny and soft.

Back