Deep Conditioning with Braids

MissMed07

Hello Ladies,

I recently read in a post when someone was describing their hair regimine that they deep conditioned their hair while it was in braids. Is this something that a lot of you do? I dont really see the point since the hair that needs to be conditioned is interwoven with Kanekalon hair. I had always been told that conditioner is for the hair and shampoo is for the scalp.

FYI I haven't been here that long so I'm still a newbie, but i believe that even though your hair is intertwined with the braid hair it is still exposed. It is necessary to make sure your hair is moisturized to prevent damage or later breakage from dry hair. The braid hair shouldn't be damaged so it works out.

I've only worn my hair in braids in my later years once so this is an assumption, but I know that even if your hair is away you still need to keep it properly moisturized.

Last edited:
Hair can still be moisturized and deep conditioned while in extension braids if you saturate it enough. One way you can do this is dilute the DC with a little water to allow the conditioner to work through the extensions, wrap it all up in a plastic cap, wrap with a warm damp towel/turban for an hour, rinse with cool water and voila!

I never miss a week of DCing in braids. Always have done it since I learned about it in 2003 from Cathy Howse. I haven't used heat though, in a long time. And I prefer DCing on dry.

I agree with VirtuousBeauty that your hair still needs TLC even if it's interwoven with synthetic hair. It may need it even more because I've heard synthetic hair can rob our hair of moisture.

I always wash, condition & moisturize my hair when wearing braids (mine) or extensions (natural or synthetic). My mom just removed kinky twists from her head after wearing for 2 months without conditioning or moisturizing. She had been experiencing breakage and skipped treatment in lieu of extensions. She removed the twists without any conditioner, moisturizer, pre-wash with Roux, Cowboy magic ... just gave me the cobra side-eye as I listed each option.

Her hair snapped off after she removed braids and went to her beautician for a wash, press and curl. Yesterday she went to BSS and bought a wig. Last night she asked me for something that would make her hair grow. She applied about 3 drops of Kimmay's leave-in to her hair because she is scared that her press and curl will revert.

Revert? revert? her hair is singing "By the time I get to Phoenix" :wallbash:

I didn't while in braids and have always been fine. Sprayed my braids as regular as I should and my hair is in good condition and soft when I have them out.

The only time I've had my hair be horrible after braiding was when I never moisturized them :nono:

Back