Deep Conditioning Possible with Weave?

PrincessM

I don't know who posted this, but I have it saved in a txt doc and this is what they said:
"Actually, you CAN deep condition your weave (human hair). I do all the time. It helps stop the tangling and it keeps your natural hair healthy. You'll have to find a good conditioner that rinses clearly from the hair (no cholesterol). (Human hair is made of the same properties as out own hair, so it made sense to treat it the same way I would my natural hair--and don't laught, but I even use a reconstructor on my weave!)"

I'm going on a month with weave and I'm thinking should I incorporate deep conditioning (with heat) and even a MILD reconstructor into my regimen for the cornrowed hair underneath. I just hate going this long without one
blush.gif

A conflict of course is being able to rinse it out THOROUGHLY from the cornrows.

If it is necassary, I'll need a GOOD conditioner that has no mayo and can rinse out well. I have Aphogee 2 Minute Reconstructor but I fear using it because what if it doesn't rinse out cleanly? I'm thinking of watering down the conditioner first. I also wanna try Nexxus Humectress.

Any suggestions?

Wow, I was just wondering the same thing. I currently have a weave in, and I have been debating whether or not to deep condition.

I think it's worth a try. I would consider using a spray bottle for applying the conditioner. That way you can saturate each cornrow good. If the conditioner is too thick, dilute with water. Cover with a plastic cap and let marinate. Then rinse in the shower. Hopefully, the water runs smoothly in your shower so that it doesn't aggrevate the cornrows.

I have not tried this myself but, I do routinely spray my cornrows with water and oil mix that sometimes contains conditioner. I've never considered rinsing it out. I let it dry in my hair. I"ve been fortunate enough to be able to redo my weave weekly so, that's when I deep condition.

PrincessM, I have often wondered this myself. I wasn't even sure if you could do the same with braids or not. Currently I am also going on a month with a sewn-in weave and I didn't what deep conditioner I should use.

I'm going to give it a try.

I'm going to water down the conditioner first and put it in a spray bottle. I won't use a protein conditioner that has a strong protein high on the list (I'll use one that says it can be used as a leave-in as well) I'm wondering if I should use heat (heating cap) as well.

this is a really old post...but Im bumping for any responses---anyone have any experience with this ?

Works great! Dilute the conditioner with water in an applicator bottle to make sure it get on the braids. NO RECONSTRUCTOR!!! Putting protein on braids is a recipe for disaster because you have a strong potential to not get it fully washed out. Moisture is your friend in a weave and makes it soooooo much easier taking it out and retaining!

I agree ^^^ 100%. I use KeraCare Humecto (I have a tub of this conditioner), an applicator bottle mixed with coconut oil, and I apply it to my cornrows this way. Let it sit for a while, then rinse thoroughly. I don't worry about rinsing all of it out. If I leave some in by accident, it's a benefit to my hair underneath because it's a Moisturizing conditioners and wearing weaves, your natural hair needs all the moisture it can get.

I still deep condition in my weave. I used Creme of Nature Moisture Extreme, and next I'll use Humectress. I put it in an applicator with some water and shake it up for easy application.

Works great! Dilute the conditioner with water in an applicator bottle to make sure it get on the braids. NO RECONSTRUCTOR!!! Putting protein on braids is a recipe for disaster because you have a strong potential to not get it fully washed out. Moisture is your friend in a weave and makes it soooooo much easier taking it out and retaining!

but what about using the cantu leave in conditioner? its protein and i mixed it with a moistruizing condish. is that ok or am i gonna suffer with it later on.:sad:

But how do you make sure you thoroughly DC your hair with the weave over it?

I add a couple drops of peppermint oil to the applicator bottle. That way, as I'm squirting it on my braids/scalp, I can feel the tingle and know that I covered all the braids. Refrigerating your DC mixture helps too :yep:

Bonus: When I go under the dryer to DC, the pep oil starts tingling even more, for good scalp stimulation!

I think so. When I had a sew-in I went to the salon to wash and DC weekly. You have to really get between the tracks, but it helps. Also, if you have 100% human hair, the DC seems to make it look better too.

I actually sometimes use Lekair Cholesterol I love it. What I do is put the conditioner in a color applicater bottle and dilute it with water it shouldnt be too runny I then squirt it on the braids underneath I then apply the full strenth conditioner to my leave out hair and the installed hair I put on a processing cap then and sit under the dryer for at least 30 mins or just let sit with no heat for an hour or two the rinse really well in the shower. I wouldnt recommend using the Aphogee 2 min conditioner on your braids underneath I wouldnt recommend using any protein rich conditioner or reconstructor on the braids I would avoid it to prevent matting.

Back