Deep Conditioning on Relaxer Day

Thiends

Two urgent questions:

(1) If one deep conditions their hair on the day of a relaxer, will it affect the relaxer's ability to "take"? I did not really agitate my scalp. I just detangled gently so that I would suffer less when my stylist combs out my hair.

(2) Is it necessary for hair to be combed out before a relaxer? My stylist always combs out my hair (dry!) before the relaxer and it hurts very much. It is also upsetting to see broken hair flying around. Is there some reason why she can't just apply the relaxer to lightly tangled hair and let me do the comb out later?

Thank you all!

lol @ you being of help later uhm i would say no problemo, just make sure u grease your scalp. People have washed their hair the day of a relaxer so why not dc. I say go for it. :yep:

I always do a protein dc the night before my relaxer. The next morning, I moisturize like normal then lightly detangle. I coat my previously relaxed hair with hot six oil and head to the salon.

Never had any problems.

Tell your stylist to lightly detangle your hair with a wide toothed comb if you don't want to detangle yourself. Please speak up and do what's best for your hair.

Last edited:
I always do a protein dc the night before my relaxer. The next morning, I moisturize like normal then lightly detangle. I coat my previously relaxed hair with hot six oil and head to the salon.

Never had any problems.

Tell your stylist to lightly detangle your hair with a wide toothed comb if you don't want to detangle yourself. Please speak up and do what's best for your hair.

I agree...I do the same thing in regards to DCing prior to relaxing and protecting the previously relaxed hair.

Thanks for sharing this. I have coated my previously relaxed hair with a conditioner/coconut oil mix, and will be getting a relaxer today.
You're right. I need to speak up. I detangled my hair today, so I am going to tell her to back off and just work with her fingers, instead of yanking through my hair with her comb as usual.

I have, for the last few relaxers been washing and conditioning my hair on the night before my relaxer. The last relaxer I did I washed and DC'd in the morning and relaxed in the evening. I use a gentle SLS shampoo that I dilute and I only wash once to avoid irritation. I didn't have a single burn or issues with the relaxer and it was very easy to apply it as the hair was so soft.

Dlewis is another lady who conditions either the night before or the day of the relaxer with beautiful results.

I am always going to relax my hair like this now as it works. :yep:

Two urgent questions:

(2) Is it necessary for hair to be combed out before a relaxer? My stylist always combs out my hair (dry!) before the relaxer and it hurts very much. It is also upsetting to see broken hair flying around. Is there some reason why she can't just apply the relaxer to lightly tangled hair and let me do the comb out later?

Thank you all!

Not at all. Just as long as your hair isn't matted, you'd should be fine. Think about all the ladies and their super-long stretches. Its almost impossible to have a head free of tangles.

Back