Deep Conditiong or Hot Oil Treatment?!

LexaKing

Tomorrow is my wash and co day and I'm not sure what's better.... A hot Jojoba Oil treatment prepoo, or to D.C overnight. What do you think? Both work well in my hair.

I'm not an expert, but I think you're supposed to use coconut, avocado or olive oil for hot oil treatments as these are the only oils that penetrate the hair shaft and reduce damage from shampooing.

As for which is better prepoo or DC overnight, not sure. Maybe add some oils to your DC and let it all sit?

Tomorrow is my wash and co day and I'm not sure what's better.... A hot Jojoba Oil treatment prepoo, or to D.C overnight. What do you think? Both work well in my hair.

LexaKing how about you put the oil on your hair and then the conditioner and leave in over night since you use so much protein.

I would dc overnight. I wouldn't even bother to do a hot oil treatment unless it was with one of the 3 penetrating oils.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

I usually DC with oil added on top of the conditioner. I'm not sure if that's killing two birds with one stone but it works for me.

princezzLeia said:
I'm not an expert, but I think you're supposed to use coconut, avocado or olive oil for hot oil treatments as these are the only oils that penetrate the hair shaft and reduce damage from shampooing.

As for which is better prepoo or DC overnight, not sure. Maybe add some oils to your DC and let it all sit?

princezzLeia I think a lot of people sleep on jojoba oil and how great it is for your hair. It's the oil that is closest to the natural oil our bodies produce.. It truly is amazing!

Plus it's light and doesnt weigh down hair like the heavy oils like evoo.

But that's a great idea to mix it with my DC. That way I'm getting the best of both worlds :)

http://www.long-healthy-hair-advisor.com/jojoba-oil-for-hair.html

Last edited:
Okay here goes my two cents...........if you got a steamer .....prepoo with coconut oil and sit under the steamer for like 10 minutes. Proceed with wash/shampoo. Deep condition and sit under the steamer for like 20 minutes then proceed with your normal regimen. If you don't have a steamer, then prepoo with coconut oil, put a plastic cap on and leave it on for like an hour. Proceed with wash/shampoo, then DC, put plastic cap on sit under dryer for like an hour if you have the patience. Then proceed as usual.

Okay here goes my two cents...........if you got a steamer .....prepoo with coconut oil and sit under the steamer for like 10 minutes. Proceed with wash/shampoo. Deep condition and sit under the steamer for like 20 minutes then proceed with your normal regimen. If you don't have a steamer, then prepoo with coconut oil, put a plastic cap on and leave it on for like an hour. Proceed with wash/shampoo, then DC, put plastic cap on sit under dryer for like an hour if you have the patience. Then proceed as usual.

Brighteyes35

Do you think the steam helps the oil penetrate better than just warming it up and putting it on your hair?

*Frisky*

With my hair..........steam works better. It's helps lift the cuticles faster so the oil can penetrate, otherwise the oil will just sit on top. I think the reason steamers work better is because they get hotter. I have done the plastic cap and for me it takes forever for the oil to penetrate. There have been times I have had to do an overnight prepoos just to get it to penetrate. I've also done overnight DC's because of this same problem.

I cosign with Brighteyes. I'm a natural for 4a/4b hair

I also do the pre-poo hot oil treatment with coconut oil.
1. First I section my hair and put some oil on it. This is the time I put on the oil and finger comb to remove the shed hair i have. (I do not comb it). For some strange reason doing this helps remove a lot of shed hair

2. Once I'm done putting oil on all the sections of my hair. I put my plastic cap, sit under my hair dryer for like 45 minutes.

3. go under the shower, and that's when I detangle, shampoo and then condition/deep condition.

Back